When cooking at home in Thailand, what pan do you use? Which one is safe?

advancebooking

I just finished watching 'Dark Waters' on Netflix. Its based on a true story about a lawyer suing the 'DuPont' company for poisoning people with the chemical PFOA in relation to the frying pan Teflon. 

Ive used the teflon style non stick pans in my kitchen. After a while I can see the black teflon scratches on the pan exposing the silver surface underneath. 

I tried a cast iron pans before but they rusted all the time. Also tried the silver wok pans. 

What are you using?

These anodised woks are almost non-stick if used correctly, moreso than polished SS ones.  One can use a 3M green scourer on them.

image.png.72e136705ab093553fcb98619abada4f.png

I also use a Circulon non-stick wok with lid which has not deteriorated at all in over 7 years.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

The most used is a steel 14"? wok with a handle....No coatings....

I use my bread maker more than anything else, the pan does have a Teflon coating....

I just step back & let the 3 gals do their thing.... It's amazing what comes out of that little kitchen....Thai or western.....

There's a very large cabinet with cooking pans, pots, utensils, and appliances + more I have stashed for bbq in a metal outside cabinet....Including a George Foreman grill & a pressure cooker.....

About 90% goes unused....

The wok remains king & they use it for cooking things I'd never have thought about being prepared in a wok....

Yep, I do my chips in a wok with minimal oil.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Cast iron; skillet for most things, smaller one, just for eggs, and open one, size of a pizza, for pizza, flatbread, pancakes.  Heavy bottom SS for anything else; boiling water/pasta.

image.png.6de00a1181a665b0747953a9b6e45e9b.png

5 yrs ago I had a similar cast iron pan. When I fried eggs, I looked under the cooked eggs and there was black color there. I was oiling the pan to stop it from rusting. Before use, I would wipe with paper towel. But still when cooking eggs I always saw this black stuff on the bottom of the eggs. Can you try this and let me know if its the same in your kitchen

2 hours ago, advancebooking said:

5 yrs ago I had a similar cast iron pan. When I fried eggs, I looked under the cooked eggs and there was black color there. I was oiling the pan to stop it from rusting. Before use, I would wipe with paper towel. But still when cooking eggs I always saw this black stuff on the bottom of the eggs. Can you try this and let me know if its the same in your kitchen

Don't have the issue with any of the pans.

16 hours ago, advancebooking said:

The safest frying cookware is cast iron, ceramic coated cast iron, and high carbon steel.  The good thing about these is that they can be used on top the stove or in the oven.  Clean cast iron or high carbon steel any way you want with soap and water.  Use a  sponge/scratcher pad or stainless steel pad if needed.  Rinse, dry at low temp on stove, then season.

Note:  a smooth bottom and walls of a cast iron cooking vessel is easier to make non-stick than one that is rough.  Some people even go so far as to grind the inside smooth if it comes with a rough interior.

For liquids I use stainless steel pots, and the thicker the steel the better.  It is and even better if the steel is laminated around a copper or iron bottom insert to spread the heat - you can use a flame spreader instead but it isn't as good.  I don't have any ceramic coated cast iron pots or casseroles but the ceramic can be difficult to keep clean.  Plain steel baking pans coated with clarified butter (buy on Lazada) or other vegetable oil, and dusted with flour is usually enough, or you can place a sheet of non-stick cooking parchment in the pan - dampen it first and it will fit easier into all the corners.

There are two ways to season cast iron or high carbon steel so they are non-stick, and if you do it right you won't get the black residue of burned oil.  The residual oil should keep cast iron or high carbon steel from rusting if it is kept dry - I keep mine in my oven when not using either the skillets or oven.  Eventually high carbon cookware becomes as black as cast iron if you keep seasoning it to keep it non-stick.

1:  After applying vegetable oil to the cooking surface, preheat the pan on low heat, increasing the temperature slowly. You can place the skillet upside down on a middle oven rack at 375 degrees. Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips. Bake the cast iron or high carbon steel for about an hour and let it cool entirely in the oven.

2:  To season your skillet on the stove top, place it over high heat and let it get screaming hot. Remove the skillet from the heat, and rub oil into the pan with a paper towel. Put the skillet back on the stove top over medium heat for about 10 minutes, letting the oil dry completely.

Don't use just any vegetable oil, use one with a smoke point over 450°F from the list below:

Oil Smoke Point ºF Smoke Point °C
Refined Avocado Oil 520ºF 271°C
Safflower Oil 510ºF 266ºC
Rice Bran Oil 450ºF 254ºC
Refined or Light Olive Oil 465ºF 240ºC
Soybean Oil 450ºF 232ºC
Peanut Oil 450ºF 232ºC
Ghee or Clarified Butter 450ºF 232ºC
Corn Oil 450ºF 232ºC
Refined Coconut Oil 450ºF 232ºC
Sunflower Oil 450ºF 232ºC
Refined Sesame Oil 410ºF 210ºC
Vegetable Oil 400-450ºF 204-232ºC
Beef Tallow 400ºF 204ºC
Canola Oil 400ºF 204ºC
Grapeseed Oil 390ºF 199ºC
Unrefined or Virgin Avocado Oil 375ºF 190ºC
Pork Fat or Lard 370ºF 188ºC
Chicken Fat or Schmaltz 375ºF 190ºC
Duck Fat 375ºF 190ºC
Vegetable Shortening 360ºF 182ºC
Unrefined Sesame Oil 350ºF 177ºC
Extra Virgin or Unrefined Coconut Oil 350ºF 177ºC
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 325-375ºF 163-190ºC
Butter 302ºF

150ºC

Edited by HarrySeaman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2023 at 12:57 PM, advancebooking said:

What are you using?

This is the best one I have. A great thick non-stick pan. I bought it from Global (Sane brand, but not all Sane brand are great like this one). I use usually stainless steel pans for frying, My gf sometimes uses Teflon, but not often. 

IMG_4151.jpeg

On 8/13/2023 at 7:57 AM, advancebooking said:

I just finished watching 'Dark Waters' on Netflix. Its based on a true story about a lawyer suing the 'DuPont' company for poisoning people with the chemical PFOA in relation to the frying pan Teflon. 

Ive used the teflon style non stick pans in my kitchen. After a while I can see the black teflon scratches on the pan exposing the silver surface underneath. 

I tried a cast iron pans before but they rusted all the time. Also tried the silver wok pans. 

What are you using?

Never Teflon, I prefers ceramic or granite, eventual marble.

What is the healthiest type of cookware to use?

The least toxic cookware are non-stick pans and pots, like cast iron, stainless steel, ceramic, glass, and enamel-coated cast iron. These options don't have any Teflon coating on them, making them safe to use.

(Source link.)

Is granite coating better than Teflon?

One other advantage of granite cookware covered with vitreous enamel is lower sensitivity to high temperatures than PTFE counterparts. Usually, manufacturers don't set temperature limits for enameled pans. On one hand vitreous enamel show advantages in comparison to PTFE, however this type of coating can contain lead.

(Source link.)

Is granite cookware safer than Teflon?

If you're wondering whether the granite cookware can replace your Teflon-coated cookware sets, the answer is yes. Good quality granite cookware prevents food from sticking and can be a lot safer for your health.
(Source link.)

Is granite the safest cookware?

Granite stone cookwares are among the most durable and safest on the market.

(Source link.)

I've got my Grandmothers cast iron pans ( yes we shipped them here with all our goods ) they are well over 90 years old

and slick as an eel .  don't use steel scouring pads and don't leave then wet .   It's either Olive oil or bacon fat

On 8/13/2023 at 12:57 PM, advancebooking said:

What are you using?

Teflon.

Easy to clean.  

Cheaper and probably better ecological choices but nothing cleans up as easily. 

Edited by MrJ2U

I make it a point to discard the pan no matter what brand at the first signs of it's loosing it's non stick performance and when the grime starts to slighty stick despite intensive hand washing.

My girlies all agree,  never to wash in diswasher,  so I obediently comply.

Tefal brand only ? why not,  but at the end they all have limited lifespan,???? no matter how careful you are.

To make it simple, use it normally but avoid using it without oil as some people do, and above all, discard and chage at the first signs of use. Not to say if it's healthy or not, I think all the coca cola mixers I used in my party years in my Jack-Coke will catch up faster, then the pan's teflon coating.