How much does a Retirement Home cost in Thailand?

webfact

6 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Either that house knows how to time travel or you need to learn how to set the date/time stamp on your camera.

Why learn something I don't need  to know,  and why would you need to know something of so little concern.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The article is about care homes, not health care! Have you ever looked into the cost of care homes in your (precious) home country?

Obviously he has as he says "he is getting free care". My wife used to work in a care home in the uk and the residents are very well looked after rich or poor all treated the same. Some pay towards their keep and some don't. My wife still visits a couple of the old ladies she was friendly with. Same as everything there are good and bad.

7 hours ago, renaissanc said:

My wife and I are our "retirement home carers". I can't imagine paying a place 70,000+ Baht per month to look after us in this country.

When one of us dies eventually, the surviving person will still be able to look after him-/herself.

Retirement homes are filled with people who thought that. I think it’s about 100%! ????

Edited by JimTripper

7 hours ago, renaissanc said:

I am married in Thailand. We have our own home in a rural area. My wife and I are our "retirement home carers". I can't imagine paying a place 70,000+ Baht per month to look after us in this country.

When one of us dies eventually, the surviving person will still be able to look after him-/herself. We're not worried about this, but rather that we need to outlive the 19 cats we look after because no neighbours would look after them. 

What if the surviving person is diagnosed with advanced dementia.

Who will look after the property and cats.... is there enough coin in the bank to fund an assisted living home ?

I spent two years back home taking care of my mum before finally selling her house and placing her in a care facility.

She is safe and content... albeit she has no idea.

Irony is she is 78 and Iam 50... she will out live me !!

Edited by Ralf001

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

What if the surviving person is diagnosed with advanced dementia.

Who will look after the property and cats.... is there enough coin in the bank to fund an assisted living home ?

I spent two years back home taking care of my mum before finally selling her house and placing her in a care facility.

She is safe and content... albeit she has no idea.

Irony is she is 78 and Iam 50... she will out live me !!

You said you were 77

1 hour ago, gerritkaew said:

iff you not get a Thai wife or gf you can survive here for low costs. 

And try not to go to tourist places,, just don't meet or see thais, then you will live here for a long time..

Why live long if no gf? Not much of a purpose in life.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I did read the full article, which covers both retirement homes, and retirement outside said homes in Thailand. I was referring to the latter.

There are no free lunches. Such a service would be added to the bill.

AFAIK no foreigner is excused from attending Immigration in person for retirement extensions.

I understand there is a retirement facility off the 118 north of Chiang Mai, 90,000 baht/month. Beyond the financial reach of most retirees.

90K per month sounds about right.  A few years ago Al Jazeera aired a documentary about an old folks home in Chiang Mai and the per month cost was about $3000.   One of the residents was from Europe and she had developed Alzheimers in her 50's and the family chose to place her in this home.  The actual home looked nice and there were plenty of young Thai men and women who took care of the residents.  I just can't recall the name of the home. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bignok said:

Phuket has quiet beaches. Most Thais are more friendly than farangs. Medical care is good. Dentists are cheap. Glasses are cheap.

Rentals are cheap.

Hard to believe you have been to Thailand.

Seriously?

Phuket beachesquiey? Well first you get a mafia rip off taxi or tuk tuk to your beach.

Then you get ripped off by noisy jet ski operators. Yes, you could then check out your great medical care after arguing with either of the above. Medical care is totally hit and miss with some astounding incompetence. 

O, you can then relax to the sound of the jet skis screaming around just offshore. 

Many of your "friendly" natives will show their love for you with a right pounding, especially to your head. And only when it is at least 6 to 1. 

I was first in Thailand 40 years ago when it was a fantastic place. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, arithai12 said:

A retirement home is not a house that you buy, it is a structure where you pay some form of rent to have a room for yourself, meals, medical assistance and socializing with similar folks.

And here in Texas where I live,  that can cost you anywhere from $2500 to $4000 a month.  

5 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Seriously?

Phuket beachesquiey? Well first you get a mafia rip off taxi or tuk tuk to your beach.

Then you get ripped off by noisy jet ski operators. Yes, you could then check out your great medical care after arguing with either of the above. Medical care is totally hit and miss with some astounding incompetence. 

O, you can then relax to the sound of the jet skis screaming around just offshore. 

Many of your "friendly" natives will show their love for you with a right pounding, especially to your head. And only when it is at least 6 to 1. 

I was first in Thailand 40 years ago when it was a fantastic place. 

Nai Yang

On 8/14/2023 at 2:03 AM, Moonlover said:

And you are not correct about that either! Read the 2nd page of a TM7

'APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT THE APPLICATION IN PERSON WITH THE EXCEPTIONS OF HANDICAPPED PATIENTS OR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES'

At Chaengwattana immigration I once saw an old western woman being wheeled by medical staff in a hospital bed, outside where a medical transport in the form of an ambulance waiting for her????

17 minutes ago, KUGS said:
On 8/14/2023 at 7:03 AM, Moonlover said:

And you are not correct about that either! Read the 2nd page of a TM7

'APPLICANT MUST SUBMIT THE APPLICATION IN PERSON WITH THE EXCEPTIONS OF HANDICAPPED PATIENTS OR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES'

17 minutes ago, KUGS said:

At Chaengwattana immigration I once saw an old western woman being wheeled by medical staff in a hospital bed, outside where a medical transport in the form of an ambulance waiting for her????

It probably wasn't necessary and most certainly wasn't desirable!

My ex neighbour, a now deceased German lost a leg due to diabetes. When his renewal came due, his wife went to immigration and explained the situation. They accepted the application from her and made a house call to confirm that he was indeed infirm. The same happened the following year.

There was also a story on this forum recently about a lady who was sick and couldn't attend the office. Imm officers also made a house call.

P.S. Getting a hospital bed into an ambulance must have been a bit of a challenge.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It probably wasn't necessary and most certainly wasn't desirable!

My ex neighbour, a now deceased German lost a leg due to diabetes. When his renewal came due, his wife went to immigration and explained the situation. They accepted the application from her and made a house call to confirm that he was indeed infirm. The same happened the following year.

There was also a story on this forum recently about a lady who was sick and couldn't attend the office. Imm officers also made a house call.

P.S. Getting a hospital bed into an ambulance must have been a bit of a challenge.

Sorry a hospital type of bed, the public hospital type. 

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Both my parents may go into a UK nursing home soon, £13k a month, yes £13k. Any inheritance will be gone. If I'd known that a few years ago i eould have moved them to Thailand

Why not move them now ?

Never too late.

• Like 1

This was my plan if I were to be still single in advanced age:

This is Khon Kaen Ram hospital. The tall building at the right is the hospital. The two lower buildings to the left are nurses and staff dormitories. You can see one tall condominium building in the background and there is one just across the street from the hospital.

I would plan to get a rental condo in one of those buildings and contract with off-duty nurses for whatever assistance I would need.

... but now I am not still single.

image.jpeg.de24a948dec420ef7a7bbb72e0cad0f1.jpeg

Edited by jerrymahoney

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Both my parents may go into a UK nursing home soon, £13k a month, yes £13k. Any inheritance will be gone. If I'd known that a few years ago i eould have moved them to Thailand

Inheritance is one thing, paying for it is another.

When these places up the rent they like to lean on relatives for payment. They know most residents are on fixed incomes.  Some try sneaky tactics to get you to co-sign during initial admission, or later by signing off on treatment plans. It’s also difficult to move out once your in there especially if there are mobility issues.

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2023 at 4:42 AM, harleyclarkey said:

Who wrote this absolute drivil? 

Tranquil shores of Phuket- are we on the same planet here?

Friendly natives...yep, there are some but generally not.

Super medical care? It's pot luck if you get proper treatment and NO legal comeback.

Ask hop-along-cassidy who had one leg shorter that his other after treatment here. 

Crazy stupid nonsense of an article.

Same thing happens all over the world... go home to your country if you hate it so badly.

On 8/14/2023 at 5:59 AM, Lacessit said:

A completely irrelevant article. It omits to mention the obligatory yearly trek to Immigration for a retirement extension, which can be withheld at any time if the IO is having a bad day.

Expats in all other countries over the world have an obligation to report to immigration... some even more difficult than Thailand... if you do not like it feel free to go home.

• Like 1