Food delivery apps are dumb

Harsh Jones

19 minutes ago, AlQaholic said:

I don't understand the ops argument at all. Where I live in the countryside, we can order from any place around the area, like expensive restaurants or from the food vendor on the corner with his 4-wheeled trolley selling kao-pat-tai and kao-man-gai or whatever.  There are Pizza company and Pizza Hut and many other. The delivery service does not deliver food from fast food joints, which does not have any meaning in Thailand really. The food is cooked with one speed only, both in the restaurants and the street corner, not very fast, but not too slow either. These are not fast food joints, they sell food, that's all. The little exercise obtained by going out to get your own food is not sufficient to bother, take a 10k jog before dinner. 

I have less of an issue with ordering from fancy restaurants. But there's some problems with that too.

The point of eating out is to you know.... eat out. Get changed and go to the restaurant and enjoy the setting and the experience. Or is that not a thing anymore ? You order lobster and get it delivered on the back of a Honda Click and sit there at your house in your pajama pants and eat ? This is after paying more to get it delivered. 

Don't you want to put on some better cloths and do some ppl watching and go for a drive and get away a bit ? With food apps, thats all out of the window. I just dont see the point.

Edited by Harsh Jones
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Harsh Jones said:

Don't you want to put on some better cloths and do some ppl watching and go for a drive and get away a bit ? With food apps, thats all out of the window. I just dont see the point.

That would depend on one's mood at the moment.  If wanting lobster ... but worked your 8-12 hours, just got home and no desire to go back out.

Then a nice lobster munch on the veranda while the sun is setting at your home with all the comforts of, and no hassle of 'going out', then hell yea, delivery works.

By the time it arrives, you're fresh out of the shower, with partner in robes ready to relax over some tails, before getting some tail.   

And no need to overpay for wine at the restaurant, or worry about Q, or poor seating, distracting diners.

What's not to love ❤️

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

I drive myself and always chose only shops in the Goldilock Zone.

Arriving at home it's not too hot and not too cold.

Ok the pizza is sometimes a bit mashed because there is really not option to transport a 12-16" pizza horizontally on a scooter or if you go too fast the box flips up and hit your chest.. 

But I do that because 2017 my food didn't arrive and I have seen the next day my KFC bag in Pattaya News, which made clear why my Chicken didn't come that night...
The driver simply didn't make it, crossing the Sukhumvit road in Pattaya.

That made me stopping ordering food via these lunartic drivers..

If I wouldn't have ordered KFC he probably would have been still kicking around...  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 8/14/2023 at 12:02 PM, Harsh Jones said:

Low quality food delivered by low quality people to low quality consumers. 

Fast food was intended to be when you are in travel. You drive through or stop for something to eat when time was tight. But now people are paying someone to deliver food to them so that they can sit on their behinds and gain more weight. Do you just leave the door unlocked so your grubby delivery guy can just hand it to you when you're on the couch ?

Plus now when I am in line at some fast food joint, I have to wait for these delivery idiots with their grubby bags to get out of the way. And they usually take big orders of food with them. There should be a diabetes tax when using these delivery apps. 

Are these people not aware of the concept of walking a meal off ? I am not a health nut in the slightest. But I probably am compared to the ppl that use these apps. 

Anyway, who agrees ?

delivery idiots

Really? They are just doing their job. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's a little croissant and coffee next to Rock Me Burger in Nimman where I might pop in once a week (on foot, no less) for a pick up. While I'm waiting, at least 3-4 other orders are flying out the door via Grab delivery guys. 

I can't quit bring myself to ruminate on just why exactly those other people are ordering in. Let alone negatively denounce them. 

In Nimman, a prepaid 50 baht tip gets you your food incredibly fast. By the time I see "out for delivery", it's in the lobby before I can get down there on the elevator. 50 baht means no little texting friendship about traffic jams or how busy they are.

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

There's a little croissant and coffee next to Rock Me Burger in Nimman where I might pop in once a week (on foot, no less) for a pick up. While I'm waiting, at least 3-4 other orders are flying out the door via Grab delivery guys. 

I can't quit bring myself to ruminate on just why exactly those other people are ordering in. Let alone negatively denounce them. 

In Nimman, a prepaid 50 baht tip gets you your food incredibly fast. By the time I see "out for delivery", it's in the lobby before I can get down there on the elevator. 50 baht means no little texting friendship about traffic jams or how busy they are.

Probably at work, and can't get away.

I think OP has too much time on his/her hands and didn't think that post through.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I think OP has too much time on his/her hands and didn't think that post through.

It's a new phoney thing to flatter yourself by being stoically against something harmless.

This is like when people used to pretend to be mad about people talking on cell phones in restaurants.

But the world decided to laugh out loud at those gormless whiners and do what they wanted.

And that trend def goes triple for ordering food in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Low quality food delivered by low quality people to low quality consumers. 

Fast food was intended to be when you are in travel. You drive through or stop for something to eat when time was tight. But now people are paying someone to deliver food to them so that they can sit on their behinds and gain more weight. Do you just leave the door unlocked so your grubby delivery guy can just hand it to you when you're on the couch ?

Plus now when I am in line at some fast food joint, I have to wait for these delivery idiots with their grubby bags to get out of the way. And they usually take big orders of food with them. There should be a diabetes tax when using these delivery apps. 

Are these people not aware of the concept of walking a meal off ? I am not a health nut in the slightest. But I probably am compared to the ppl that use these apps. 

Anyway, who agrees ?

Go and live in the sticks, even 7/11 don't deliver out here, and they're only 7km away!

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't use them, mainly because there is no way of knowing how long the food is sitting on the back of a scooter, breeding bacteria.

Grab priority delivery. GPS tracking. I use it here in Bangkok at least once a day, never had a problem yet. The only times I've had issues is when I put too much chili powder on my pizza (guts aren't coping like they used to).

You think too much.

48 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd rather track it from the kitchen to my scooter. Thanks for stopping by.

So it's nothing to do with bacteria, you just want to show us all how superior you are because you cook your own food. Thanks for the virtue signaling.

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

So it's nothing to do with bacteria, you just want to show us all how superior you are because you cook your own food. Thanks for the virtue signaling.

The food is cooked in a restaurant kitchen. I wait for it, then take it back to my condo to eat on my scooter. Don't bruise yourself jumping to conclusions.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

Grab priority delivery. GPS tracking. I use it here in Bangkok at least once a day, never had a problem yet. The only times I've had issues is when I put too much chili powder on my pizza (guts aren't coping like they used to).

You think too much.

It's obvious from your two posts bashing me you think too little.

There's a mystery kitchen down the road (Inside The Victoria Hotel) that will make prob 200 diff dishes, heavy on the western food.

A spag Bol as good as Why Not? Restaurant nearby is 200 baht. Their Green Curry is just as good. Name your protein, specify your spice-level.

Very good Mex is a 20 minutes wait. Dukes takes a whole half-hour. Our longest wait, very good Indonesian from across town, takes 40 minutes (because we always order a lot). Ging Gri 5* Thai nearby is only 15 minutes, order to door.

When I first got here 10 months ago, I ate out 100%. Now it's 50%. 

On the other hand, we will spend 500 baht on Grab cab to eat 60 baht noodles at Khao Soi Prince in Mae Rim.

3 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

I have less of an issue with ordering from fancy restaurants. But there's some problems with that too.

The point of eating out is to you know.... eat out. Get changed and go to the restaurant and enjoy the setting and the experience. Or is that not a thing anymore ? You order lobster and get it delivered on the back of a Honda Click and sit there at your house in your pajama pants and eat ? This is after paying more to get it delivered. 

Good point. We enjoy (family) the occasional restaurant visit, especially when on holiday.

Reading through these posts and descriptions defending food delivery; "Too hot, high pollution, bad traffic, crowds, filthy streets..." makes me wonder just how horrible it must have been back home for this to have been a consciously made upgrade in your lives. :wai:

For the OP - If you've a mind to sit and think for a moment, pretty much NONE of these delivery services were even in existence precovid. Basically the only food delivery was from the bigger fast food chains. Once covid hit and the world shutdown, restaurant owners needed to find a way to adapt to survive or go out of business. This brought about the new app services of Grab, Food Panda, etc. staffed by people willing to "risk their lives" so the world could eat and NOT be restricted to a steady diet of "fast food".

As a result, many people were not forced out of business, many people did NOT lose their jobs because no one was allowed to go out AND it increased exposure to many restaurants people had never patronized before.

As with most things you are forced to do, people got used to ordering delivered food from a vastly expanded menu of choices. Many still do because of laziness, convenience or just new exposure to variety.

Try and keep this in mind the next time you're whining about waiting an extra few minutes to mac on your chicken leg or burger with extra cheese. These drivers and apps kept that business open so you could.

7 hours ago, bbko said:

image.jpeg.83b3610242877e677bf4c255da70fa98.jpeg.700785aec5dc35fcac2d23987134f24d.jpeg

I am 38 years old. 

Are you denying completely that there are numbers of ppl sitting at home, getting fat and even more lazy, by paying someone to deliver fast food to them?

I remember hearing a news story in the 1990's about a guy who wanted to pay Mcdonalds to deliver Big Macs to his back yard. And everyone thought it was insane. Does anyone else remember this ?Now it is mainstream.

Edited by Harsh Jones

10 hours ago, ravip said:

delivery idiots

Really? They are just doing their job. 

True. They are.

One thing I have noticed is that the delivery guys aren't usually particularly fat themselves. Being a bit active goes a long way. I am not sure if I have ever seen an obese food delivery guy. They don't seem to get high on their own supply 

Edited by Harsh Jones

Plus now when I am in line at some fast food joint, I have to wait for these delivery idiots with their grubby bags to get out of the way

Does this not make you one of the low quality customers eating low quality food that you despise? 

I personally don't have any issues with them and I definitely don't want anybody telling me what I can or cannot eat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Does this not make you one of the low quality customers eating low quality food that you despise? 

I personally don't have any issues with them and I definitely don't want anybody telling me what I can or cannot eat. 

I never used deliveries, if I like to feast on junk food ones in a while I go to the shop and eat it there.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Harsh Jones said:

Are you denying completely that there are numbers of ppl sitting at home, getting fat and even more lazy, by paying someone to deliver fast food to them?

IF your statement was true (which it is not), why do you give a F about it? Who made you the "food delivery app" police? Get a life.

Edited by bbko