Condo rental recommendations please

blackcab

10 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I think a lot of my dissatisfaction is not being able to buy a piece of land and a house here and really settle in. I think I will end up eventually going back to the USA and buying a piece of property, like a cabin on a couple acres or something.

I have been in Thailand around 10 years and was happy the first 7 or so but it’s been downhill ever since the pandemic hit. I also don’t like the idea of getting old alone here without a family or support system. At least in the USA I would have a permanent property, could dig in and take it from there. It’s getting to the time I need to start thinking about that.

In Thailand I’m renting places but it feels transitory even on a year lease. I also don’t want to live forever in a condo.

Understood. You need a decent companion. Pattaya wouldn’t be my choice to find one. Maybe find a pleasant woman from the USA or a similar culture who would be happy to share a life with you in Thailand. Better to have someone with whom you can communicate in a deeper level. Rather than someone who simply depends on you for financial support. Lots of single women out there who aren’t gold diggers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Has the op lived in Pattaya before?

Maybe needs to do a month stay before signing a year lease. One sure thing about Pattaya is there is a large contingent of people/vloggers etc always harping on how great the place is, maybe people coming in for short stays who are horned up about a holiday or people trying to earn a living off YouTube. He needs to think about living here long term.

He lives in Bangkok, so not new to Thailand. A bit like you ????

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, NextG said:

Understood. You need a decent companion. Pattaya wouldn’t be my choice to find one. Maybe find a pleasant woman from the USA or a similar culture who would be happy to share a life with you in Thailand. Better to have someone with whom you can communicate in a deeper level. Rather than someone who simply depends on you for financial support. Lots of single women out there who aren’t gold diggers. 

???

I guess it’s possible, but very unlikely at my age.

Finding a woman from the USA or a western country is not likely for me in Thailand. There’s just not really enough western women around to choose from.

Even if that happened we still could not own land and a house.

Your right though, CM and BKK are much better for meeting regular people. People in Pattaya have a lot of underlying problems, financial & otherwise.

There’s something not quite right about people that just want to party all the time or live that lifestyle. It’s like they are trying to forget problems they have by distracting themselves with sex & alcohol.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

People in Pattaya have a lot of underlying problems, financial & otherwise.

There’s something not quite right about people that just want to party all the time or live that lifestyle. It’s like they are trying to forget problems they have by distracting themselves with sex & alcohol.

Speak for yourself, so you're hanging round the bars 24\7 and moaning about it

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Speak for yourself, so you're hanging round the bars 24\7 and moaning about it

??? ????

Huh, I don’t like the bars. 

Like I said before I got a nice condo in center, because it would cost much more in BKK, but found I don’t like the Pattaya area.

That’s probably why condo’s are cheaper in Pattaya. Go figure!

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimTripper said:

???

I guess it’s possible, but very unlikely at my age.

Finding a woman from the USA or a western country is not likely for me in Thailand. There’s just not really enough western women around to choose from.

Even if that happened we still could not own land and a house.

Your right though, CM and BKK are much better for meeting regular people. People in Pattaya have a lot of underlying problems, financial & otherwise.

Most of the people are not living that lifestyle. 
That’s like moving into a Red Light area and then complaining about sex workers and their customers there. There are no bars at all where I live. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Most of the people are not living that lifestyle. 
That’s like moving into a Red Light area and then complaining about sex workers and their customers there. There are no bars at all where I live. 

Yep, but you live on the outskirts.

I feel like I’m beating a dead horse here ???? ????. I will try one last time to explain.

The message I wanted to get out was that even if you have a nice living situation it’s not very possible to ignore the environment that it’s in.

In other words, there’s no free lunch. I’m paying less for a nice place, but paying more in other ways by not enjoying the city outside my unit as much (I moved to get a nicer condo but could not ignore the location). That’s not a good idea unless one sits in their condo all day! ????

No one’s fault but mine. I will try better next time. Maybe I will be happier in a smaller cheaper condo in a better area or maybe I will just damn the torpedoes and get a nice condo in a city I like better even if it’s more expensive. I only live once! Only 8 months to go, so not a huge problem. Will try to have fun while I’m here and enjoy myself as much as possible and not constantly complain, but Pattaya is not for me long term.

Like you said, I also want to meet someone genuine if I can’t go back to the USA before I get too old. That means living and dating somewhere normal, not hookers working in bars, or people the look normal but sideline on beach road occasionally, etc.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, geisha said:

Out of interest , why? I’m not often in that area.

Soi 15, which runs behind The Avenue, from Bua Khao, to rear of the Avenue, dog leg and off to second Rd, has a lot of drain burying work going on, making it impassable. Most down at the Buakhao end, but some towards 2nd as well. 

31 minutes ago, newnative said:

What utter and complete nonsense.  Greater Pattaya is huge, consisting of a large number of different neighborhoods and districts, both on the Beachside and the Darkside.  You live in the small tourist/entertainment area of Greater Pattaya and are judging the whole city on what you observe in your small, immediate area.   Sort of like someone living right on the Vegas Strip, never venturing off it, and complaining that the whole city is just gamblers. 

The vast number of farangs living in Pattaya are not living where you are, and you are likely not running into any of them.  The vast number of farangs living in Pattaya are not drinking next to you at this bar or that bar every night.  Instead, they are living normal lives, doing normal things. 

I've said many times that my lifestyle didn't change when I moved to Pattaya--I do the same things I did in the USA, just more cheaply and with good weather year-round.   I think that is true for many, as well.  You seem to be unhappy with your life, perhaps because you are not living a normal life.  Drinking alone at a bar every night is not normal; I would be unhappy in your shoes, too.

As I said to another poster on the retirement home thread, you need to  get out more--and go greater distances when you do venture out.  You clearly have a distorted image of Greater Pattaya based on the small area that you never seem to venture from.   

You would find that most farangs are living in places other than the in-town tourist areas.  They are in condos and housing estates in Jomtien, Wong Amat, Pratamnak, Cosy Beach, Na Jomtien, Naklua, and others.  Many are in the hundreds of housing estates on the Darkside.  Yes, you read that right--there are hundreds of housing estates on the other side of Sukhumvit, likely an area you have never been to.   Maybe skip a day of drinking and do some exploring.  I suggest a trip to Lake Mabprachan on the Darkside.  Rent a bike from one of the venders and  take a ride around the lake on the nice bike path.

This, its all in Jims name, no bloody idea really.

• Like 1

"Lake Mabprachan" - that's where I'll be going and staying next time. AirB&B places have great rates and many European style restaurants, bakeries and coffees.

What I've heard and seen in pics Lake Mabprachan walk ways are great. Muscle parks too to impress ladies.

I like to take long walks on good streets and clean area, up to 10-14km a day, starting 4am.

That's why I like Jomtien beach. The best what I've seen.

They even limited patented "Pattaya trade mark sh** smell" by covering up raw sewage system man hole covers under side walks.

Unfortunately Thailand use lakes to dump sewage and garbage like in Khon Kaen. They have two nice lakes but both are dumping places of raw sewage...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

"Lake Mabprachan" - that's where I'll be going and staying next time. AirB&B places have great rates and many European style restaurants, bakeries and coffees.

What I've heard and seen in pics Lake Mabprachan walk ways are great. Muscle parks too to impress ladies.

I like to take long walks on good streets and clean area, up to 10-14km a day, starting 4am.

They even limited patented "Pattaya trade mark sh** smell" by covering up raw sewage system man hole covers under side walks.

Unfortunately Thailand use lakes to dump sewage and garbage like in Khon Kaen. They have two nice lakes but both are dumping places of raw sewage...

Maybe you can help them by digging a big hole in which to dump your sewage…

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Sounds like the movie “Jaws” just don’t go in the water. I guess there’s always restaurants where you can go and watch the water. ????

If that was a great beach I would be living down there, sunbathing and swimming in the water like I did in Mexico. Did not even do that once in Jomtein it’s so dirty.

Here comes the brigade saying I was just in the wrong area.

Edited by JimTripper

"Maybe you can help them by digging a big hole in which to dump your sewage… "

My apology to think it's an other dirty water hole like those in Khon Kaen. It's not.

My Thai girl friend, who lives next to it, said to me; "I's a fresh water reservoir".

Time to go to see her face-to-face first time soon ????

Google;

"Mabprachan – the closest water source to Pattaya, but not its only one"

13 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Sounds like the movie “Jaws” just don’t go in the water. I guess there’s always restaurants where you can go and watch the water. ????

If that was a great beach I would be living down there, sunbathing and swimming in the water like I did in Mexico. Did not even do that once in Jomtein it’s so dirty.

Here comes the brigade saying I was just in the wrong area.

If honestly, I think you’ll be miserable anywhere. Now it’s…. if the beaches were perfect….???? You’re a bit of a ‘misery guts’ ???? One of those people who blames everything on external things. It’s you, I keep telling you. 
An example; when I took up cycling, I did so on one with the toughest gears and a heavy frame. Didn’t even bother to change down for the uphills. That meant, when using any another ???? I just flew along. If other words, I learned to be happy with imperfect situations, which leads to appreciation of less than imperfect situations. 
Whereas you have got used to riding on the easiest bike, so everything seems like an uphill struggle to you. 

You have access to a swimming pool. Do you actually use it? 
Your life sounds all dreams and plans, but no actual life right now. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:39 AM, NextG said:

If honestly, I think you’ll be miserable anywhere. Now it’s…. if the beaches were perfect….???? You’re a bit of a ‘misery guts’ ???? One of those people who blames everything on external things. It’s you, I keep telling you. 
An example; when I took up cycling, I did so on one with the toughest gears and a heavy frame. Didn’t even bother to change down for the uphills. That meant, when using any another ???? I just flew along. If other words, I learned to be happy with imperfect situations, which leads to appreciation of less than imperfect situations. 
Whereas you have got used to riding on the easiest bike, so everything seems like an uphill struggle to you. 

You have access to a swimming pool. Do you actually use it? 
Your life sounds all dreams and plans, but no actual life right now. 

Your in denial, bro.

I met a guy that said the same stuff when I lived in Cambodia. He acted like he was living in paradise but was living in a dump and eating poorly.

it’s your mind playing tricks on you. It’s a survival mechanism. Eventually you give in and see reality. Kind of like the rose colored glasses phenomenon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Your in denial, bro.

I met a guy that said the same stuff when I lived in Cambodia. He acted like he was living in paradise but was living in a dump and eating poorly.

it’s your mind playing tricks on you. It’s a survival mechanism. Eventually you give in and see reality. Kind of like the rose colored glasses phenomenon.

You met a guy…????

2 hours ago, NextG said:

You met a guy…????

Yes, it was an older guy at a guesthouse in sihanoukville in victory hill. They had a small terrace where the residence could take a smoke break. Pretty much a dump, dirt roads, etc. I think he was looking to settle there in one of the cheap rooms that rent for peanuts.

Wherever he ended up I hope he’s happy, or believes he is happy! (Drinking doesn’t count, he needs to be sober ????).

Edited by JimTripper

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Yes, it was an older guy at a guesthouse in sihanoukville in victory hill. They had a small terrace where the residence could take a smoke break. Pretty much a dump, dirt roads, etc. I think he was looking to settle there in one of the cheap rooms that rent for peanuts.

Wherever he ended up I hope he’s happy, or believes he is happy! (Drinking doesn’t count, he needs to be sober ????).

How does that compare to a beachfront penthouse in a city that doesn’t sleep, where you can get most anything that you want? Similar in your mind or just trying to win an argument of your own imagining? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NextG said:

How does that compare to a beachfront penthouse in a city that doesn’t sleep, where you can get most anything that you want? Similar in your mind or just trying to win an argument of your own imagining? 

Why don’t you ask HIM?