What's good about the Philippines?

I am conducting research on the SRRV long term visa issued by the PRA(Philippines Retirement Authority).  For me the SRRV looks promising.  The SRRV is very different from the Thai Non Imm OA or O.  I am going to Cebu later this year to confirm whether or not I want to pursue the SRRV or not.  

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Typhoons, kidnapping, rape, theft, muggings and not that cheap.

What areas in Philippines did you travel to experience this??

you can be mugged in other Asian countries too 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, sqwakvfr said:

I am conducting research on the SRRV long term visa issued by the PRA(Philippines Retirement Authority).  For me the SRRV looks promising.  The SRRV is very different from the Thai Non Imm OA or O.  I am going to Cebu later this year to confirm whether or not I want to pursue the SRRV or not.  

You do realise you can just roll up with no VISA and stay for 3 years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As said most just extend stay up to 3 years - exit for a day and repeat.  There are extension of stay costs and visits to immigration but for most not married to a resident this seems to work well.

For SRRV there are two classes (that a lot could qualify for) with low financial requirements.

SRRV COURTESY
For former Filipinos, 50 years old & above. For foreign nationals, 50 years old & above, who are retired officers of International Organizations recognized by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA). An SRR Visa deposit of US$1,500.00 is required.

SRRV EXPANDED COURTESY
For foreign nationals, 50 years old & above, who are retired Armed Force officers of foreign countries with existing military ties and/or agreement with the Philippine Government. A monthly pension of at least US$1,000.00 and an SRR Visa deposit of US$1,500.00 are required. The SRR Visa deposit includes the principal applicant and 2 dependents. Additional dependent, entails additional SRR Visa deposit of US$15,000 each (except for former Filipinos). CHILDREN must be legitimate or legally adopted by the Principal Retiree, unmarried and below 21 years old upon joining the program.

https://pra.gov.ph/srrv/

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Stayed with a family years ago so experienced none of above only read about it and they took care of me anyway didn't like me going anywhere alone.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes I know about the 3 year extension plan but the SRRV is lifetime once it is granted.  On an SRRV one has multiple entry and exit without the need to get an Exit Clearance,   Lots of advantages to the SRRV.  Option one requires a $20,000 deposit, Option 2 requires a $10,000 deposit with a $1,000 month pension and Option 4 requires one to be a military veteran along with a $1500 deposit plus a $1,000 month pension.   I am considering Options 2 and 4. The application process is like the Non Imm OA but the application fee is $1400 and the annual renewal fee is $360.  The SRRV is not for everyone.  

To me ti it seem like a hassle to get 4 or 5 extensions per year.  Based upon my research each extension in the Phils is about $50 to $60 dollars.  Of course plenty of Visa agents are in the Phils as well so they can do the extension for you. 

For a very long time I have considered the Phils as my next destination. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Only place I got mugged in Asia was Manila 1997, went to meet a woman who was there to sort out her brothers estate who had just been murdered by a kidnaping gone wrong (muslim terrorists) Betrayed by his body guards, not for me never went back

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Overpopulation. 

I love the the overpopulation in PI, because it's a good lesson for the rest of the world. 

Your right about overpopulation every where I went was busy.

Every shopping centre fast food restaurant was packed out galore no seats in most .

I thought where do these guys get the money and most were families !!

18 minutes ago, proton said:

Only place I got mugged in Asia was Manila 1997, went to meet a woman who was there to sort out her brothers estate who had just been murdered by a kidnaping gone wrong (muslim terrorists) Betrayed by his body guards, not for me never went back

I got mugged in Chiang Mai 2007 three guys on motorbikes in a back street 11pm and a week later a Aussie backpacker was stabbed to death nearby in a robbery  so I never went back !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your right about overpopulation every where I went was busy.

Every shopping centre fast food restaurant was packed out galore no seats in most .

I thought where do these guys get the money and most were families !!

Much of the money comes from overseas workers sending their earnings home to finance children's education, new homes, motorbikes, and hamburgers purchased at the malls. 

• Like 1