Services that Offer Assistance With Getting a Thai Drivers License

JimmerJJ

Hi everyone,  I am in Bangkok and need to get a Thai Drivers License.   I see a few websites online that offer assistance with the forms and they also accompany you to the Dept of Land Transportation to get it.  If anyone has used any of these services I would be interested to hear of your experience with them.  Two services that I saw online are Fatboys Thai License Service and also Thai Drivers License Service Point - TDLS.  If you have any feedback on these or others I would really appreciate to hear before i dive in with one.  I had a USA DL but it expired and I also had a Temporary Thai Drivers License but then got locked out of Thailand because of Covid and it expired so I guess i have to start over.  Thanks All I really appreciate any information about doing this. 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, JimmerJJ said:

Hi everyone,  I am in Bangkok and need to get a Thai Drivers License.   I see a few websites online that offer assistance with the forms and they also accompany you to the Dept of Land Transportation to get it.  If anyone has used any of these services I would be interested to hear of your experience with them.  Two services that I saw online are Fatboys Thai License Service and also Thai Drivers License Service Point - TDLS.  If you have any feedback on these or others I would really appreciate to hear before i dive in with one.  I had a USA DL but it expired and I also had a Temporary Thai Drivers License but then got locked out of Thailand because of Covid and it expired so I guess i have to start over.  Thanks All I really appreciate any information about doing this. 

Fatboys website is locked, but it may be the same as TDLS. The fee seems a bit steep @THB3500.

BSR Bike shop is THB1900

(both for renewal). Other services as priced.

You are required to have proof of address (your embassy or IMM), and a health certificate. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have used Fatboy's on two occasions and their service was excellent.  Definitely recommended as long as you have the required documentation and just need a hand-holding-don't-have-to-get-involved service.

Driving licence fee is B1,900 at Fatboy's according to their  website.

https://www.fatboysmotorbikes.com/thai-drivers-license-service/

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, samtam said:

Fatboys website is locked, but it may be the same as TDLS. The fee seems a bit steep @THB3500.

BSR Bike shop is THB1900

Driving licence fee is B1,900 at Fatboy's according to their unlocked website.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fatboy's has split into two companies, both still confusingly called Fatboy's. We've used Fatboy's On Nut for several driving licence related things and they were great, but do check if you can just renew your expired licence because that will be a lot easier for you. My husband wasn't able to get a Thai licence based on an expired UK licence, and he had to do the whole practical test thing, which was a hassle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OP, when I first obtained my 2 year TDL I used BSR as being in covid times they were able to obtain an appointment.

My advice is limited as my Oz license was valid and I see that your US license has expired.

Given that I think you best to consult with agent such as BSR.

The manager is USA guy and also staff can chat via messenger.

What is your status in Thailand.

The reason being that you need a certificate of residence as part of the application.

That is not straightforward in Bangkok.

Be aware that agent cannot do much for you. It's a hand holding exercise.

You still need to obtain medical (5 minute thing) and own Certificate of Residence. USA embassy no longer provides address letter.

I recently obtained the 5 year TDL and did that at Chatuchak transport office.

If you are using that office note there is small medical office not far from entrance.

It's an office just issuing medical certificate. 

Here is a thread  and has report of my experience at Chatuchak in May.

Also in thread discussion of certificate of residence.

CW require a 90 day report to issue COR

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I have used Fatboy's on two occasions and their service was excellent.  Definitely recommended as long as you have the required documentation and just need a hand-holding-don't-have-to-get-involved service.

Driving licence fee is B1,900 at Fatboy's according to their  website.

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Driving licence fee is B1,900 at Fatboy's according to their unlocked website.

46 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Fatboy's has split into two companies, both still confusingly called Fatboy's. We've used Fatboy's On Nut for several driving licence related things and they were great, but do check if you can just renew your expired licence because that will be a lot easier for you. My husband wasn't able to get a Thai licence based on an expired UK licence, and he had to do the whole practical test thing, which was a hassle. 

Yes Polar Bear, I was confused by a URL on one website that appeared to be locked. Thanks for clarifying L Lou.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You still need to obtain medical (5 minute thing) and own Certificate of Residence. USA embassy no longer provides address letter.

If you are using that office note there is small medical office not far from entrance.

Do they actually check anything medical? Mine previously was a blood pressure test, but as I suffer from white coat syndrome that wasn't straightforward for me, and it would make sense to get a medical certificate from somewhere else on another day, if a BP test is required.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I agree when it's just a straightforward process (like a foreign licence to Thai or 2 year to 5 year), but for anything a bit more complicated, they can be really useful.

We got our first Thai licences during the pandemic when offices were randomly reopening for a few hours and then closing again. Fatboy's were phoning round constantly and booking appointments as soon as one became available, and they obviously had insider knowledge on which center was going to popup next. There's no way I could have done it myself. 

Then with the practical test, my husband kept failing, not because he lacked the skill but because he didn't understand the test rules. Fatboy's talked him through it and negotiated for him to only retake the parts he had failed instead of having to redo the whole thing and risk failing something he'd passed once. 

And then they helped him renew his 2 year to 5 year almost a year early. Again, there was a lot of negotiation going on that we couldn't do. 

When I renewed my 2 to a 5, I just did it myself, and it was easy, but for the other ones, I think the money on an agent was well spent. But if you are fluent in Thai and understand how it all works, maybe it's never necessary. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I agree when it's just a straightforward process (like a foreign licence to Thai or 2 year to 5 year), but for anything a bit more complicated, they can be really useful.

We got our first Thai licences during the pandemic when offices were randomly reopening for a few hours and then closing again. Fatboy's were phoning round constantly and booking appointments as soon as one became available, and they obviously had insider knowledge on which center was going to popup next. There's no way I could have done it myself. 

Then with the practical test, my husband kept failing, not because he lacked the skill but because he didn't understand the test rules. Fatboy's talked him through it and negotiated for him to only retake the parts he had failed instead of having to redo the whole thing and risk failing something he'd passed once. 

And then they helped him renew his 2 year to 5 year almost a year early. Again, there was a lot of negotiation going on that we couldn't do. 

When I renewed my 2 to a 5, I just did it myself, and it was easy, but for the other ones, I think the money on an agent was well spent. But if you are fluent in Thai and understand how it all works, maybe it's never necessary. 

Pretty much disagree with most of your post.

As I pointed out ....I also used an agent during covid and still sat in que from 8am.

At that time there was was limit of farang applications per day.

Think it was 50.

With my agent BSR bikes I had ticket #1.

That is covid times.

100% now you do not need an agent. Just hand holding.

They do nothing as per my link to thread above.

Fact your husband  failed the test rules I cannot understand.

What practical test? 

It's a color test, 

Break reaction test etc.

How can you fail.

Also there is a video that explains all parts of the test prior to doing the test.

What was his issue that required agent ? 

Edited by DrJack54

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Fact your husband  failed the test rules I cannot understand.

What practical test? 

It's a color test, 

Break reaction test etc.

How can you fail.

As I said previously, he had to take the full driving test because his UK licence had expired. You have to use their car, and the first time he failed because he checked the clutch bite when he started (as you usually do in a manual car you are unfamiliar with), and that's not permitted. You have to just get in and drive. The second time he failed because soon after he started, the examiner shouted something at him over the tannoy. With hindsight, they were probably just shouting instructions, but he braked, and that was another fail. He didn't know he'd failed, so he finished the rest of the course and passed the other skill tests. Fatboy's negotiated for him just to retake the first part (pulling away from the kerb up to a line) instead of having to do the whole course again. Maybe he would have passed 3rd time anyway, but we'll never know.

And maybe you are right that an agent isn't needed to renew a 2 year licence early, but most people who've posted their experience of trying weren't able to do it. It definitely wasn't necessary when I renewed my 2 year that had just expired, but that's a standard process.

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

As I said previously, he had to take the full driving test.......

Missed your earlier post. 

Understand now.

Full driving test would not be simple.

Good that he had agent

As I suggested to OP in my first post. 

Without a home country license an agent best option

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Fatboy seemes to have vanished as no answers to messages via his FB page.

Out of sheer curiosity, is it not possible and make things more simple to get a renewed US driving licence via the Embassy or other means ?

I think they gave up the FB page when they split the company. If anyone wants the Line info for Fatboy's On Nut, message me and I'll send it. I don't want to post it here because I think it's the owner's personal number rather than a general business account, but it's the number I use. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

My husband wasn't able to get a Thai licence based on an expired UK licence, and he had to do the whole practical test thing, which was a hassle. 

I had a perfectly valid 1 year extension (via a paper card) issued on a state DL from the U.S.  And the Thai DLT office out near OnNut earlier this year refused to honor it for purposes of applying for a first-time Thai license. They only would accept the hard plastic DL type version.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

9 hours ago, JimmerJJ said:

As your home country license has expired, you will have obtain your new license the Thai way by going through the whole procedure.

You might find it more convenient to search out a driving school rather than an agent. Many are accredited to the DLT and can take you all the way through from lessons to driving test (theory and practical) and to finally issuing you your license at the DLT. They usually run courses over one week, full time.

It takes away a lot of the hassle involved doing through the DLT, at a cost of course. 

Edited by Moonlover

7 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I think they gave up the FB page when they split the company. If anyone wants the Line info for Fatboy's On Nut, message me and I'll send it. I don't want to post it here because I think it's the owner's personal number rather than a general business account, but it's the number I use. 

They (Fatboys OnNut) were OK when I dealt with them earlier this year. The price was reasonable as listed above. And they were able to arrange for the whole thing to be done in ONE day with little advance scheduling at the DLT OnNut area office, as opposed to the normal DLT routine of having to go one day to make an appointment, and then come back on a subsequent day for the actual appointment.

Regarding the required medical certificate, they work with a small Thai medical clinic a short distance from the OnNut DLT office on the main Sukhumvit Rd. that quickly and easily issues the required medical certificate. Never saw a doctor, just had the nurse take my personal details and do a quick blood pressure check. That was all!

The more troublesome part was having to trek out to the BKK CW Immigration office to get the required residence certificate, and wait in a long queue there for it. And carefully time that with your DLT visit because I believe (from recollection) DLT wants it to be no older than 30 days at the time of your visit.

At the OnNut DLT office, they have four physical tests you need to pass when applying for a Thai license on the basis of having a valid home country license:

1. using a little machine to align two little vertical sticks to be even with each other 8-10 feet in front of where you sit (depth perception).

2. switching from a mock accelator pedal to a brake pedal when a red light is shown (response time).

3. calling out the colors flashed by a traffic light display (for color blindness)

and

4. calling out the colors of small lights in side panels on either side of where you sit in a chair (to check peripheral vision).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

At the OnNut DLT office, they have four physical tests you need to pass when applying for a Thai license on the basis of having a valid home country license:

1. using a little machine to align two little vertical sticks to be even with each other 8-10 feet in front of where you sit (depth perception).

I wasn't very good at this one, and the DLT guy gave me hints, so I passed.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I wasn't very good at this one, and the DLT guy gave me hints, so I passed.

I was there for a bit observing how all those different tests worked, because I'd never seen or done any of them before...  and the write-ups I'd read in advance weren't really clear of just how things actually worked.

And I did notice, when people got stalled or confused, the DLT staff folks handling the various tests seemed to try to help... perhaps to avoid snarling up their queues and/or avoiding unpleasantness on the part of their customers. ????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samtam said:

Do they actually check anything medical? Mine previously was a blood pressure test, but as I suffer from white coat syndrome that wasn't straightforward for me, and it would make sense to get a medical certificate from somewhere else on another day, if a BP test is required.

As I noted above, when I dealt with the medical clinic used by the Fatboys service out in the OnNut area, pretty much the ONLY thing they did/checked was a blood pressure cuff reading.

But I don't know what (if any) level of reading would be considered disqualifying.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi guys

Never bothered to get Thai licence in 30 years, just usually show UK licence. 

But this year got stopped in North Saturn road by a Copper who tried to commit suicide on my bonnet. The only thing he got me on was I had no IDP. He flashed an old trampled one from a Baltic country he'd nicked off of somebody. Negotiated tea money down from 5k to 1k.

Then I was up country caught in a road block and plod asked for IDP. Talked my way out of that one as I was holding up the queue.

Maybe they are now checking for IDP as a new ruse for tea money extraction.

Happy days.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, when I first obtained my 2 year TDL I used BSR as being in covid times they were able to obtain an appointment.

My advice is limited as my Oz license was valid and I see that your US license has expired.

Given that I think you best to consult with agent such as BSR.

The manager is USA guy and also staff can chat via messenger.

What is your status in Thailand.

The reason being that you need a certificate of residence as part of the application.

That is not straightforward in Bangkok.

Thanks Dr Jack, for all the great information! Very helpful.  I am on a Non-Imm OA visa.

12 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Thanks Polar Bear! That is one of my concerns on the practical test is not understanding what they want me to do. I guess I'll try watching what others do.  Do you know are the practical tests the same at Chatuchak and Onnut? I'm an excellent driver too with about 40 years of driving and only one accident my fault when I crashed the Drivers Ed car in high school because instead of using reverse in backing out from a parking space I had it in drive and gassed it crashing into the store window. ????

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They (Fatboys OnNut) were OK when I dealt with them earlier this year. The price was reasonable as listed above. And they were able to arrange for the whole thing to be done in ONE day with little advance scheduling at the DLT OnNut area office, as opposed to the normal DLT routine of having to go one day to make an appointment, and then come back on a subsequent day for the actual appointment.

Regarding the required medical certificate, they work with a small Thai medical clinic a short distance from the OnNut DLT office on the main Sukhumvit Rd. that quickly and easily issues the required medical certificate. Never saw a doctor, just had the nurse take my personal details and do a quick blood pressure check. That was all!

The more troublesome part was having to trek out to the BKK CW Immigration office to get the required residence certificate, and wait in a long queue there for it. And carefully time that with your DLT visit because I believe (from recollection) DLT wants it to be no older than 30 days at the time of your visit.

2. switching from a mock accelator pedal to a brake pedal when a red light is shown (response time).

3. calling out the colors flashed by a traffic light display (for color blindness)

and

4. calling out the colors of small lights in side panels on either side of where you sit in a chair (to check peripheral vision).

Thanks Tall Guy, Very helpful about the practical tests.  I passed them all before in 2019 when I got my 2 year temporary (now expired) but it's a nice refresher knowing ahead what they are.

Thanks all for the great information!!  I have more confidence about getting this done (sometimes I get unduly stressed out) and I really need a license because I have to go back to the US and rent a truck to move a bunch of stuff out of my storage.  So this helps a lot. ????

22 hours ago, JimmerJJ said:

I had a USA DL but it expired and I also had a Temporary Thai Drivers License but then got locked out of Thailand because of Covid and it expired so I guess i have to start over. 

So you don't have any valid driving license? You'll need to take the test and start over again, I don't see how an agent can help you take a test, but I'm sure someone here can enlighten me. I personally would use a driving school, almost a guaranteed pass, 20hrs over 3 days for around 5-6k. Edit; as an example you can spend a whole day doing the computer questions, until you get it right. 

Edited by brianthainess