Hotel room safe or reception safe ?

observer90210

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I always keep valuables locked up in my luggage and in nearly 40 years of travel to Thailand and elsewhere, have never had anything stolen. If you casually leave things out in the open, or if you use hotel safes, all bets are off. 

Yes. See my post above.

A friend of mine, an American, was staying in Rio on business in a fancy hotel and everyday he would go down to breakfast leaving his briefcase with wallet in his room as he would only be 10 minutes or so.

After a few days he sensed his money was disappearing faster than it should and the only time his wallet was left unattended was breakfast time.

He did a test by counting his money before he left for breakfast and sure enough when he returned it was $20 ( equivalent in reais) light.

The next day he went for breakfast but immediately returned to his room in hopes of catching the thief, but as he checked his wallet it was all in order !.

Puzzled by this he started to leave the room when he sensed movement in his wardrobe !! Picking up a hairdryer, the only thing close to hand (????) he opened the wardrobe door and there was the head of security crouching inside !!

Needless to say he was reimbursed, the guy was fired and he had a great story for the rest of his life .

Apologies for the slight off topic post I just like to share.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

The best hotel for security I ever came across in BKK was not some hi so hotel---in fact  the opposite , years gone the Grace hotel was great place for late night drinking -- partying (and anything else you would want) The reception area was one long desk---behind--open for all to see,  it was rows of security boxes, not the silly wooden ones I have seen at some places- Just the same as the Banks have. Solid metal 2 keys to open-- 1,000Bht deposit returnable unless key is lost & lock replaced. 

On every single floor 24/7 sat a girl all through the night, they (2 of them) were on 12 hour shifts--midday -midnight, and they would service the rooms as people left. (always a good indication when you brought a girl back from some other place---and there was an animated conversation between them as you stepped out of the lift.  "So you told me you never come here before"----No Not Come here --she come from same Village me-- "Whats the Village called?" ----Bangkok---right.

If you took a girl back, Then stay in the room when she leaves--- they Phone & wont let her leave (get her Id Back) from the security area reception until you say everything is OK. No ID age check no girl.  Of course as the long time residents know---they went over the top with security of the hotel that they were asked to help with security down in Pattaya---locking the fire doors,so people didn't leave without paying--  about 90 --100 dead--- 26 years ago Pattaya then, wasn't  in any way set up to deal with a fire disaster like that.

They still have an age restricted horrific video of it on Youtube-- 

I haven't stayed at the Grace for nearly 20 years wonder how much its changed.---Had a quick look at Tripadvisor  this is "some" of their report

Grace (Disgrace) Hotel, Bangkok.

Located on Sukhumivit Road and in Nana area. Its frequently visited by Middle Eastern and Asian tourists for two main reasons: its located in the center of the Redlight area and also close to the Bumrungrad Hospital. Grace hotel has different categories of rooms, the best ones are in Block C, those which cost 1600 Baht (approx. 49$ a night) and overlook the swimming pool). These rooms are spacious but not well lighted. The bathroom is clean. The customer service especially the receptionists in the hotel is bad except for one lady who is referred to as Mama. She is the one who can help, the others, however, are very unfriendly and sometimes rude. Grace is a brothel and not a hotel at night tens of girls from different countries gather somewhere in the coffee shop for display.--To sum up, Grace hotel is not a good place for families and even for tourist-minded individuals but it’s a perfect place for sex mongers.

Yes, sounds like  it hasn't changed a bit........:clap2:

Ah ... the Grace Hotel, and the 1st hotel I ever stayed at in TH, 1999.  Recommended by coworker who used it frequently.

How to say this nicely ... I never took any of his recommendations afterwards.  

Worst hotel I think I've ever stayed at, and didn't care for location.  Actually turned me off BKK, and simply used it as stopover on future visits.  

Usually staying at Suk 11 GH, on Suk 11, on future visits, finally warming up to BKK.  Until they took the parking away, (GH gone now) then had to stay elsewhere.

I actually leave my laptop in the room now, under the covers.   Dog is usually in room w/'do not disturb' sign on door.  Hotels may be 'pet friendly', but she is not.

Usually leave camera gear in car, if can find shade w/window cracked open.  Most hotels we stay at I feel quite secure, possessions wise, and will leave in room.  Money, wallet, ID/PP always on person or in car.

Only time we're not near the car is in Krung Thep area, as usually won't drive there.  Which case the dog is with us in the car, and still laptop in the bed.

Just have to remember not to sit on it when we return.  I won't really stay in a hotel I don't feel comfortable leaving stuff in the room.  Camera gear isn't cheap, so stays in the car.

Edited by KhunLA

16 hours ago, stoner said:

most rooms have an access panel in the bathroom ceiling. make sure when you put the panel back the paint lines match up. no on will ever look in there. 

use the chair from the room to stand on. 

...yeah...the first place the clever thieve check:coffee1: as same hides currency notes inside Shower Curtain Railing???? 

Edited by ujayujay
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Neither. The really valuable stuff ( cash, debit cards ) stay on my person.

Me too , in my man bag . Nothing of real value do I leave in the hotel room bar one time when I had a lot of cash that I hid inside the air-con unit but never again .

18 hours ago, oxo1947 said:

Go to your safe

Push Lock button

see the word "Super"

push 0 button 6 times.

If I have something of value--I usually leave in a locked suitcase ---which is no where near 100% , but probably 40-50% better then the safe.

You dont have to have something taken to be stolen from - if you leave your credit cards there then anyone with a mobile Phone will have your information. You should never Ever--leave your CVV number on your card -- photo it and remove it as soon as you get your card. Without it --They can not use it for internet purchases, this goes for shops as well. The last time I brought some runners from Robinson's-The girl looked at the card for about a minutes & said "your number has been removed" I said I know--but you dont need it do you, this is not an internet purchase.

Please explain how you do you remove the cvv number from the card ?

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

neither are safe ....  I wouldn't trust a Thai.  Room maids, reception, clerks, managers,  you name it ...they all have been caught before,  just google it and you'll see. 

sad that you can't leave things in your room unattended.

I think this could apply to any hotel in any country.

That being said with hotel is best as you have a receipt for what you give them 

• Thumbs Up 1

As a long time hotel user, I never use the room safe for anything valuable. Normally store the room service menu or any other junk from the hotel to give the impression the safe is used. Also keep a couple of old hotel room cards to jam the room cut-off switch, so the AirCon / Electricity doesn't go off when you vacate the room.

Always leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. I'll collar the maids or Housekeeping for any changes or tea/coffee/water top-ups. Also, I lock my suitcase to give the impression there is something in side, in reality it's dirty laundry.

I always keep a photo of my passport /driving license on my phone, plus the recent Visa page in case of an impromptu ID check.

Always travel with a small toolkit, roll of 3M double-sided tape, small zip-lock food bags and a couple of cable-ties and wire ties. Passport and non local currency credits / debit cards in zip bag, then double sided to behind a picture or rear of TV. Laptop I leave out as encrypted as well as GPS tracked. Any other valuables, then inside air-con duct or taped to underside of desk drawer or in false bottom of desk / wardrobe or bathroom vanity unit. Plus photo the stash, so you get a date/time/location in case you might need to report anything.

Last couple of years I've traveled with a small domestic CCTV WiFi NightVision camera (£20:00), so if anyone enters my room, I get a text / e-mail alert and can access the stored image to check who it was remotely.

As mentioned by @oxo1947, scrap off the CVV2 number from the back of your cards. I have a series of contacts in my phones, so Barry = Barclays Bank, Wozza = Westpac sort of thing, the CVV2 number is stored within a dummy looking mobile number, as well as the PIN code, as my memory is like a sieve.

So far never lost a thing and never had any uninvited guests. Interestingly, when I was staying in BKK in April, it was one of my old rooms, as the double-sided bag was still behind the picture above the bed, either that, or someone else attended the same security training as I did.

I guess that there is always a first time for anything. But....in over 30 years of working and traveling around the world, predominintly in Asia, I have never had my hotel room safe tampered with.

Who is to say that the charming reception staff in charge of their safe are any less devious than the housekeeping staff. 

I am confident that my passport, license, credit cards, gold chain and extra cash are secure in my room safe whilst I venture out with 1 ATM card and guestimate amount of cash for an evenings entertainment.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RayWright said:

As a long time hotel user, I never use the room safe for anything valuable. Normally store the room service menu or any other junk from the hotel to give the impression the safe is used. Also keep a couple of old hotel room cards to jam the room cut-off switch, so the AirCon / Electricity doesn't go off when you vacate the room.

Always leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. I'll collar the maids or Housekeeping for any changes or tea/coffee/water top-ups. Also, I lock my suitcase to give the impression there is something in side, in reality it's dirty laundry.

I always keep a photo of my passport /driving license on my phone, plus the recent Visa page in case of an impromptu ID check.

Always travel with a small toolkit, roll of 3M double-sided tape, small zip-lock food bags and a couple of cable-ties and wire ties. Passport and non local currency credits / debit cards in zip bag, then double sided to behind a picture or rear of TV. Laptop I leave out as encrypted as well as GPS tracked. Any other valuables, then inside air-con duct or taped to underside of desk drawer or in false bottom of desk / wardrobe or bathroom vanity unit. Plus photo the stash, so you get a date/time/location in case you might need to report anything.

Last couple of years I've traveled with a small domestic CCTV WiFi NightVision camera (£20:00), so if anyone enters my room, I get a text / e-mail alert and can access the stored image to check who it was remotely.

As mentioned by @oxo1947, scrap off the CVV2 number from the back of your cards. I have a series of contacts in my phones, so Barry = Barclays Bank, Wozza = Westpac sort of thing, the CVV2 number is stored within a dummy looking mobile number, as well as the PIN code, as my memory is like a sieve.

So far never lost a thing and never had any uninvited guests. Interestingly, when I was staying in BKK in April, it was one of my old rooms, as the double-sided bag was still behind the picture above the bed, either that, or someone else attended the same security training as I did.

Jesus Ray, are you auditioning for a new Jason Bourn movie? Talk about super spy paranoia Mate! 

• Haha 1

1) Has anyone here actually have money stolen out of a room safe?

2) In Columbia back in the 90s they had a sign telling you not to go outside with anything valuable and to leave it in the reception safe.  Heard rumors if they saw you had a bunch of money they would call a friend who would rob the hotel at gunpoint.

3) I never walk around with more than $100 USD anyway, so I never needed a safe, room or reception.

By the way, I went to a bank in Bogota to change $100 in travellers checks and there was a Columbian man withdrawing/changing thousands of dollars in $100 USD bills.  He remarked to me in English about how safe Columbia was.  A few hours later a car bomb went off about 8 blocks from my hotel.  Yeah, right. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

I used to pull out the drawer from the wardrobe, turn it upside down and gaffer tape an envelope with a credit card and large denomination cash in it...  

I'd always leave my passport and flight tickets in the (2 keys reqd) reception safe.

The old gaffer tape comes in handy!

Sometimes the bedside cabinets have an enclosed space at the bottom between cupboard section and the floor ..  a good hiding place.

Just don't hide stuff when you bring a "friend" back to the room and you've had a lot to drink.

On a tangent..    when I was staying in a hotel with my wife in Bangkok she wanted to turn the large cushions over that you sit on , that are on the lounge. she found a girl's ID card between the cushions ....   Hotel room maids are 'big' on room presentation, but rarely give attention to detail unless they're working in a 4 star + hotel ????

How come in 2023 we can land on the moon, but we still haven't figured out a foolproof solution to hotel security?

I would like to propose a solution.

They should put LOCKERS in hotel rooms, NOT safes that staff can open.

Guest brings their own padlock. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Depending what 'dump' you're staying in, I'd be more concerned about fellow guest ripping me off, than 'working' staff.

I've yet to have a problem, even when staying at Suk 11 GH/hostel, though travel with my own lock.

I've upgraded my accommodations over the years, and most ma/pa GH, you need to get by the staff to get to the rooms, or bungalows down a drive.  Most staff being long term employees or family.

Locks are only good for honest people, if a thief wants in, they'll get in.  Easier prey elsewhere with less risk (cctv) of getting caught, with higher pay offs.

Even the Ibis s we use, the staff doesn't seem to change much.  A good sign.  Other places having key card entry into buildings.

Better choices = happier travels ... just a thought.

Edited by KhunLA

On 8/18/2023 at 6:51 PM, steven100 said:

neither are safe ....  I wouldn't trust a Thai. 

Of course you wouldn't, Thais are all out to get you, boo hoo. Your posts are full of anti-Thai paranoid nonsense.

Room maids, reception, clerks, managers,  you name it ...they all have been caught before,  just google it and you'll see. 

sad that you can't leave things in your room unattended.

Sad isn't it? So how many things have you had stolen out of hotel rooms over the years? I'm gathering it must be a lot. Please do tell us the details.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2023 at 2:19 AM, steven100 said:

nonsense .... please don't try to water down the fact that you can't leave things in safes in hotel rooms in Thailand. They steal it and it's that simple. 

never had a single thing stolen in over 30 years of staying in hundreds of different kinds of hotels all over thailand....not once

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pomchop said:

never had a single thing stolen in over 30 years of staying in hundreds of different kinds of hotels all over thailand....not once

well good for you ....  I certainly wouldn't leave a camera or laptop in the room visibly unattended .....    your only asking for trouble.

Just now, steven100 said:

well good for you ....  I certainly wouldn't leave a camera or laptop in the room visibly unattended .....    your only asking for trouble.

Well i try not to be totally stupid about it....don't even have a camera other than phone...i generally leave my laptop sitting on the desk (as often won't even fit in safe) and even though of some concern never had a problem...as for cash i try to keep that to a miniumum by using thai bank atm ...passport/credit card i usually keep in my pocket and also keep phone with me.  I actually worry more about the other farangs in some of the budget hotels than i do the staff...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1