England beaten by Spain in the Womens World Cup Final

Social Media

29 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

England. Not UK.

Yes England.  your right. :coffee1:

But they still beat all the boys from the uk. ( bunch of over paid hair cuts )

Argentina defeated France in the last boys world cup. no UK teams in the final.  :cheesy:

Well done ladies, putting the boys to shame. :cheesy:

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, shackleton said:

The best team Spain won on the day 

The British media over hyped had the  England woman's team  winning it before they kicked off 

Have to say a good game to watch  

There were many reports in the media prior to the match. Overall, showing a balanced view.

Edited by youreavinalaff

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Should be "Spain beat England", with the emphasis on the better team, not the one that thinks they are better. 

The arrogance of the English, they're coming home.

It should have been if this was a truly international forum. In reality, as we can see everyday from the angle of the news and the spirit of the comments, it is primarily a forum for Brits (with Australians and US following). Proof: the link is to a BBC article. There is an excellent English-language version of the main Spanish newspaper, El Pais, which has the headline "Spain beats England to claim first Women’s World Cup title". I fear to link it, but easy to Google.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought it was a really good game.

I had a gut feeling Spain would make the final (should have bought a lottery ticket lol????) in the quarters and beat anyone.

Typical Spanish football; Creative, fast, skillful.

Viva Espana!

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

The best team Spain won on the day 

The British media over hyped had the  England woman's team  winning it before they kicked off 

Have to say a good game to watch  

Well, the best team of the tournament won, over a few days. 

Exactly, this over-confidence came across as arrogance to me. 

Bad losers.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Social Media said:

England manager Sarina Wiegman, who has now lost two successive World Cup finals, introduced Lauren James and Chloe Kelly at half-time but Spain maintained control despite the Lionesses' best efforts.

Time for a new manageress.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Sir Geof Hurst said, "the Spanish team very very good, on the day you could probably argue they were slightly better and maybe deserved to win". 

Of course they were better and deserved to win, unbelievable. What's this "on the day" excuse? 

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

How can it be "coming home" if it's never been there?

Those Spanish women are fearless in small spaces.  They could play keep-away in a water closet and not have to worry.  Not to mention that their U17 and U19 women's teams won their respective World Cups last year.  They are going to be around for a good while I would think.  Good on 'em.

13 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

How can it be "coming home" if it's never been there?

Those Spanish women are fearless in small spaces.  They could play keep-away in a water closet and not have to worry.  Not to mention that their U17 and U19 women's teams won their respective World Cups last year.  They are going to be around for a good while I would think.  Good on 'em.

They think because they started the first league, they have some right to the World Cup. 

In actual fact, it was their neighbours who invented it, golf and many other things. 

football doesn’t originate in England and that the line ‘It’s coming home’ in the fans’ much sung song of the Three Lions is a “flat lie”.

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/football-was-invented-in-scotland-leading-historian-claims-544757

Edited by Neeranam
  • Sad 4

Why to bash England team and manager?

They can be very proud to make that far FIRST time.

Can you name an other manager who has taken a team to finals two times?

It could have gone other way too, both were very good.

I guess 1-0 says nothing to you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Well, the best team of the tournament won, over a few days. 

Exactly, this over-confidence came across as arrogance to me. 

Bad losers.

1st paragraph from the BBC match report: 

"England's wait to win a first Women's World Cup title goes on after Spain deservedly triumphed in the final in Sydney." I would contend that this is a view held by most English fans including myself.

Which bit of this demonstrates  arrogance and being a bad loser?

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Time for a new manageress.

She's won a European title and reached the WC final.

Yeah, good idea. Let's sack her????

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Sir Geof Hurst said, "the Spanish team very very good, on the day you could probably argue they were slightly better and maybe deserved to win". 

Of course they were better and deserved to win, unbelievable. What's this "on the day" excuse? 

It's a turn of phrase.

The first paragraph seems pretty clear. Spain played well and deserved to win.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

They think because they started the first league, they have some right to the World Cup. 

In actual fact, it was their neighbours who invented it, golf and many other things. 

football doesn’t originate in England and that the line ‘It’s coming home’ in the fans’ much sung song of the Three Lions is a “flat lie”.

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/football-was-invented-in-scotland-leading-historian-claims-544757

If you seriously believe the claim made in that article 'proves' that the  codified version of football which is played worldwide today has its' origins in Scotland, then you are as deluded as the "leading historian"???? who suggested this nonsensical proposal.

https://www.britannica.com/sports/football-soccer/Professionalism

Maybe try to push your xenophobic bias to one side.

Edited by RayC
Spelling

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Did you conveniently ignore the word claims ?

Why don't you give it a rest, if you had followed the build up to the final and the reporting after you would have seen a healthy respect for the Spanish team and  after i haven't read one article that suggests the Spanish were anything other than the better team and deserved winners.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1