EV sales in Thailand to hit 50,000 despite auto loan regulations

webfact

1 minute ago, impulse said:

How are the queues?  It's bad enough being 3rd in line at a gas station where it takes 5 minutes to top up.  I can't imagine the queues on a holiday weekend, especially when the number of charging stations is a tiny percentage of the number of EV's sold.  

I've yet to Q up, and I've been O&A on weekends.  If I thought the need, I'd just reserve a time slot to charge, and have yet the need to do that.

Thanks for pointing out the weekly Q'ing up at petrol stations to keep your ICEV running.   I simply park at home, plug in (all of 15 seconds), and it's 'free' w/excess solar, or 1/4 th the price of 91 per kms, if using grid, instead of waiting weekly for that 39.5 baht & rising per liter of 91 from days past.

And yet, when O&A, the very few time most actually go O&A, with the need to use CS, the ICEV owners view that as a huge hassle, but not the weekly petrol stop ... hmm.  

A bit selective, don't you think.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

Would be fairly useless in Pattaya, most people live in condos or have no garage for charging.

As stated many times, but feel free to keep repeating that little tidbit of common sense.

EV's aren't for everyone 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Sooner or later, rate of new CS's will fall behind and then we have a problem, the UK and US are already facing this.

That's why it's a little disconcerting to see a 250% increase in sales without a corresponding increase in charging stations.

To be clear, if I owned 2 cars, the first would be an EV, charged at home, for 90% of my driving- which is around town.  But for the other 10%, which are road trips, the EV just isn't practical.  Yet.  I still remember a holiday weekend trip to Koh Chang that took about 12 hours, with 4 of that waiting for the ferry.  Never again.  I can only imagine spending another 4 hours waiting for2-3 charging ports on the round trip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

It wouldn’t take 80 years, it would take under 6 years.

The rate of growth of EV sales is 250% per annum.

31 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's misleading, ALL car sales are down in July (every July) and often that hangs through to August.  

Personally  growth of EV sales is 250% per annum. is misleading without setting a base rate as I said if the base rate is 10 EV's and the growth rate is 250% per annum that equals 25 EV's normally when people want to hide numbers they only ever list %

35 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

EV sales in Thailand comprised 3% of total automobile sales in 2022.

I thought it was just over 9%

From your earlier link:

"Total 36,860 vehicles

• accounted for 9.21% of the 400,042 registered Ror.Yor.1 cars nationwide"

Though figure possibly just for a certain time frame.  To fit whatever spins they are on about.

Edited by KhunLA

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I thought it was just over 9%

From earlier (transam's) link:

"Total 36,860 vehicles

• accounted for 9.21% of the 400,042 registered Ror.Yor.1 cars nationwide"

Though figure possibly just for a certain time frame.  To fit whatever spins they are on about.

That figure is for all EV sales since 2020

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You should try it.  It's completely practical today.

Maybe a 30 ish minute break, to P, stretch, get a coffee/bev and or snack for @impulse while driver 500 kms at a time is too much of a hassle.

Then I guess an EV isn't for him.   It's welcome break for us after 3 ish hrs on Thai roads.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Maybe a 30 ish minute break, to P, stretch, get a coffee/bev and or snack for @impulse while driver 500 kms at a time is too much of a hassle.

Then I guess an EV isn't for him.   It's welcome break for us after 3 ish hrs on Thai roads.

What state of charge do you get in 30 minutes at a typical Thai CS?  How many KM range does it add?

9 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

You should try it.  It's completely practical today.

Why would anyone be daft enough to buy an EV at the moment if we look at Tesla how many times have the reduce the price of their vehicles at least 6 or 7 times maybe more

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

What state of charge do you get in 30 minutes at a typical Thai CS?  How many KM range does it add?

30-80% more, though we're usually not done what ever we're doing, and most times, it tops up completely, another 15ish minutes.

That extra 50% or more, depends on the vehicle and your driving.  We've yet to need more than one top up to get anywhere, in the 500 kms range.  

On the highway, driving w/cruise control on, set @ 90kph & AC on, we average about 80 kph at end of trip, and we get about 320 kms per full charge.

I rarely drive 500 kms in one day.  At an average of 80 kph ... 6+ hrs ... NO THANKS, without the break.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, impulse said:

30 minutes would take me to 80%, about 350km

14 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Why would anyone be daft enough to buy an EV at the moment if we look at Tesla how many times have the reduce the price of their vehicles at least 6 or 7 times maybe more

That’s a good reason, not to buy a Tesla, it’s not a good reason not to buy an EV

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

That ฿240k incentive was a pretty good damn reason for us, and no, I wouldn't own a Tesla.

They're not the only BEV out there.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, natway09 said:

The whole concept is flawed with EV,s still.

The embodied energy & amount of fossil fuels used  used to make the batteries just does not add up.

Human rights also needs to be looked at in lithium ore mining areas.

In Thailand 80% fossil fuels used to make energy to charge also neans you are just moving pollution from one place to another.

Live in the country & need to travel over 250km, forget it for me 

Net win to move the pollution out of the cities. Last time I checked they don't build power plants in city centers. Also, 80% fossil fuels may be the current situation, but you know full well that its dropping. More and more renewable, also in Thailand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

30 minutes would take me to 80%, about 350km

That’s a good reason, not to buy a Tesla, it’s not a good reason not to buy an EV

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That ฿240k incentive was a pretty good damn reason for us, and no, I wouldn't own a Tesla.

They're not the only BEV out there.

Its not only Telsa that are cutting their prices most brands are suffering from over production producing more vehicles than they can sell

As for incentives Lots of unhappy customers in China bought last year when the 

incentive scheme was closing only to find EV's cheaper in 2023 without incentives

20 hours ago, jcmj said:

Thailand is not ready for EV cars yet. Hopefully soon they will get more infrastructure to charge them up and get the prices down to an affordable price. 

You see what they are doing in the UK....they make home charging be on a separate meter and charge double price for the electric and restrict use in mornings and evenings. 

26 minutes ago, retarius said:

You see what they are doing in the UK....they make home charging be on a separate meter and charge double price for the electric and restrict use in mornings and evenings. 

The UK has great tariffs available to charge off-peak much cheaper than domestic tariffs. Companies like Ovo & Octopus for example.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Topic:  "EV sales in Thailand...."  ... UK irrelevant to the conversation

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Its not only Telsa that are cutting their prices most brands are suffering from over production producing more vehicles than they can sell

As for incentives Lots of unhappy customers in China bought last year when the 

incentive scheme was closing only to find EV's cheaper in 2023 without incentives

MG isn't, didn't cut their price, though also didn't raise their price when upgrading the 2022 vs 2020 ZS. 

Did offer a large chunk of their govt incentive to customers for the ZS & EP.  Rolled that back a bit for the ES & MG4, and that spiffy A$$ van.

And I don't live in CH or UK, so any happenings in other countries are a bit irrelevant.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Actually, I don't think the gas stations will become dual source stations.  There is practically zero requirement for any CS in towns.  People will charge at home.

Much like the Central Malls, now you have to pay for charging, nobody is ever using them.

Of course, you will say that................????

5 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Actually, I don't think the gas stations will become dual source stations.  There is practically zero requirement for any CS in towns.  People will charge at home.

Much like the Central Malls, now you have to pay for charging, nobody is ever using them.

Shell have other ideas .

https://www.shell.co.th/th_th/motorists/shell-recharge-hpc.html#