Coffee Machine

raybarrell

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

image.thumb.jpeg.300e573d9b66557155413535269a82d4.jpeg

Does the job perfectly........Bht 400 for them both from Makro.

For one mug of coffee,400ml water, into the microwave for 4 minutes, one tablespoon ground coffee. 2 minutes and it's ready.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It depends on your quality standards.

You can have a look at this and other videos from James Hoffmann to get an idea what you can expect.

He is a top expert. 

One item to check, if it's a steam operated machine, does the machine turn off automatically when the cup is 'full'?

Ours doesn't. We forgot to check this point and have to watch and manually turn it off.

Good name machine, good design, quality manufacture, but no auto turn off. 

Edited by scorecard

16 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Time to make the popcorn.  Coffee thread...

LOL! Nothing like a coffee thread to hear all the technical jargon coffee aficionados can come up with. I used to brew coffee until my machine broke, then went back to instant coffee. I found a brand I like and now I'm enjoying it more than my brewed coffee, or any special brews the coffee shops can provide. 

I'll probably get some reply about how my palate is not sophisticated. I can't drink the regular cheap instant coffee, but some brands I like very much. All that counts is that I enjoy my 2 - 4 cups a day. One of my favourites is to dissolve instant coffee in heated full cream milk. There are extra fat milk products available at the supermarket to make it even more creamy. I prefer that to any latte or cappuccino made by an expensive machine.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I can't drink the regular cheap instant coffee, but some brands I like very much

There are some good instant.  But, part of the experience and enjoyment in the morning for me is the smell.  Freshly ground then brew starts the day right.

I bought a decent machine at Tesco works fine.

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

There are some good instant.  But, part of the experience and enjoyment in the morning for me is the smell.  Freshly ground then brew starts the day right.

I agree. I miss the smell... but I forgot about it until you just mentioned it LOL. 

22 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

LOL! Nothing like a coffee thread to hear all the technical jargon coffee aficionados can come up with. I used to brew coffee until my machine broke, then went back to instant coffee. I found a brand I like and now I'm enjoying it more than my brewed coffee, or any special brews the coffee shops can provide. 

I'll probably get some reply about how my palate is not sophisticated. I can't drink the regular cheap instant coffee, but some brands I like very much. All that counts is that I enjoy my 2 - 4 cups a day. One of my favourites is to dissolve instant coffee in heated full cream milk. There are extra fat milk products available at the supermarket to make it even more creamy. I prefer that to any latte or cappuccino made by an expensive machine.

Thats kind of like saying you prefer spy-wine cooler to a fine Brouilly...   or Regency to a Glenfiddich.. 

... a Toyota Altis to an S-Class Merc

...  thats fine..  everyone has their individual tastes.

Instant definitely serves its purpose..  I had Moccana Cappuccino the other day because there was nothing else on offer...  It wasn't bad, no complaints from me.... 

BUT.. its not like a well made coffees is just 5% better than instant...  its 50% better IMO... the difference is significant.

Just my opinion (I find the debate interesting), I just don't see that instant can compare at all. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

You want to make 'coffee' or 'espresso', as the latter will need a better machine.

Richard's dialing in & extraction is exactly what you want for a good espresso.

For that, you need a good a 'espresso' machine.

After that extraction, you can make very good coffee.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

As I only drink 2 cups a day maximum, what's the best instant coffee you've tried? At my advanced age it would be crazy to invest in an expensive machine, but may invest in a moka pot though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

A Mokapot gets my vote, i use ground coffee but can buy beans and grind. i also go to coffee shops where the machines can cost 250k

Mokapots are also good...  

I use all three...  French Press, Mocapot, Espresso Machine...  (depending on where I am).

I also have a Wacaco Piccopresso for travel...    

All serve their purpose but IMO a decent Espresso machine makes the better coffee.

That said, Espresso is the hardest to get right... the recipe is vitally important to the quality of the extraction (recipe = bean / roast / grind / amount / extraction time) - its a bit of a faff and somewhat of an art.... I can understand those not interested in the hassle. 

The easiest of course is the French Press...  

Not yet discussed is the Turkish Coffee brewing method, which is also one of my favourites (although I don't have the equipment in Bangkok to grind my coffee as fine as needed, neither do I have the Turkish coffee Pot)...  and its hard no to cardamon in my coffee too... (which is common in Turkish coffee)...   

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

As I only drink 2 cups a day maximum, what's the best instant coffee you've tried? At my advanced age it would be crazy to invest in an expensive machine, but may invest in a moka pot though.

I can't advise on instant...  Although the Moccana 3 in 1 Cappuccino wasn't completely awful if insistent on going the 'instant route'. 

The answer to your question depends on how much time and money you want to spend vs the quality you enjoy. 

A Mocapot is an excellent option - it still requires decent prep and to be watched carefully to avoid the bubbling and spurting.

IMO - Easiest option for simplicity and price vs quality is perhaps the basic Nespresso machines if looking for Espresso coffee and wanting to make Espresso based drinks...  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Apologies for my snarky response... no call for it.. 

Hey, if I had to apologise for all mine, I'd be on Asean Now all day.............

oh, I already am! 555

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Op hasn't asked what YOU like for your coffee... he's asked about coffee machines !!... 

Why do you think everybody does not understand that and feel compelled to post it?

• Sad 3

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Mokapots are also good...  

I use all three...  French Press, Mocapot, Espresso Machine...  (depending on where I am).

I also have a Wacaco Piccopresso for travel...    

All serve their purpose but IMO a decent Espresso machine makes the better coffee.

That said, Espresso is the hardest to get right... the recipe is vitally important to the quality of the extraction (recipe = bean / roast / grind / amount / extraction time) - its a bit of a faff and somewhat of an art.... I can understand those not interested in the hassle. 

The easiest of course is the French Press...  

Not yet discussed is the Turkish Coffee brewing method, which is also one of my favourites (although I don't have the equipment in Bangkok to grind my coffee as fine as needed, neither do I have the Turkish coffee Pot)...  and its hard no to cardamon in my coffee too... (which is common in Turkish coffee)...   

For me Mokapot is nice enough for home, i go to coffee shops every day, it would be tough for a home machine and coffee to be as good as the best coffee shops