2023 Trip Report for Retirement Extension via Thai Bank Deposit at BKK CW

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Pib... I'm doing this from memory of info here, never having had a Thai marriage extension.

But in your example, where the farang is going back for the 2nd visit to Immigration a month after originally applying to pick up his stamped passport, do BOTH the Thai wife and the farang husband have to be there.... or.... the farang husband can go alone for the 2nd visit?

...regarding @John Drake's questions above.

At CW just the husband needs to go for the 2nd visit; wife not needed.  They typically have you sign a form or two, the IO does one last quick review of your application, and then the IO stamps the 12 month approval into your passport.   Typically takes 30 to 60 minutes with 90% of that being queue time.  This is done at the L32 counter if I remember right....it's a cubicle with one immigration officer with one or two helpers at the end of the main L section. 

IMO at CW they just let your package pretty lay around for 30 days after the "under consideration" stamp is issued or maybe certain packages they might run some extra checks on or do a home visit before you come back on approx 30 days for the final stamp.  As mentioned earlier I did three marriage extensions at CW in 2020, 2021, and 2022....no home visits for any of them.

One year this 2nd visit L32 counter immigration officer noticed my photo on the application was the same as I used the previous year and made me go downstairs to get a new photo....brought the new photo back....about 15 minutes I had my marriage extension 12 month stamp.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Then what if both husband and wife are out of the country for an extended period? This is beginning to look to me like a marriage extension locks you down in one place.

The biggest issue with annual extensions, especially those taken under consideration, is exactly what you mention: the need to fit the extension into your schedule year after year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

The biggest issue with annual extensions, especially those taken under consideration, is exactly what you mention: the need to fit the extension into your schedule year after year.

Are the visits for the marriage extensions carried out during the 30 day period while your application is under consideration? Or can/do they visit you anytime throughout the year? 

44 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Are the visits for the marriage extensions carried out during the 30 day period while your application is under consideration? Or can/do they visit you anytime throughout the year? 

Typically it would occur during the approx 30 days under consideration period.  But regarding visits immigration can do them anytime they want....even for a "retirement" extension which a "few" AN posters have posted about over the last few months.   Now I don't think any of these were CW visits but done by other immigration offices and may have been random in nature.   

Personally...just my opinion....but I think whether a marriage extension visit occurs or not is based on your application....like maybe how many years you have been married (i..e, recently or long time married),  whether its your first marriage extension or not, just your whole record of applications, etc.   As mentioned earlier I had a marriage extension in 2020, 21, and 22 on top of 11 retirement extensions....I've never had a home visit by CW. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

They can make random visits at other times of the year. If they do, it is not to verify your right to an extension. It is for other reasons. The fact that you are outside the country at that time will not be an issue. They may talk to neighbours to confirm that you still live there, and if they know when you will be back. That is all.

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Typically it would occur during the approx 30 days under consideration period.  But regarding visits immigration can do them anytime they want....even for a "retirement" extension which a "few" AN posters have posted about over the last few months.   Now I don't think any of these were CW visits but done by other immigration offices and may have been random in nature.   

Personally...just my opinion....but I think whether a marriage extension visit occurs or not is based on your application....like maybe how many years you have been married (i..e, recently or long time married),  whether its your first marriage extension or not, just your whole record of applications, etc.   As mentioned earlier I had a marriage extension in 2020, 21, and 22 on top of 11 retirement extensions....I've never had a home visit by CW. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

They can make random visits at other times of the year. If they do, it is not to verify your right to an extension. It is for other reasons. The fact that you are outside the country at that time will not be an issue. They may talk to neighbours to confirm that you still live there, and if they know when you will be back. That is all.

I see. That makes sense. Still seems that the retirement extension is simply easier to deal with. As long as they don't make changes.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I see. That makes sense. Still seems that the retirement extension is simply easier to deal with. As long as they don't make changes.

Paperwork-wise and not having to get the wife involved a retirement extension is easier....not to imply paperwork required for a marriage extension is hard (as it's not) especially if married in Thailand.  If your marriage occurred outside Thailand then you'll need to go thru the process to get it registered in Thailand then it will be easy for ensuing years.

If the annual income requirement is a major factor, the marriage extension income requirements are a lot less than a retirement extension. 

Each person's situation and opinion will be different regarding whether a retirement or marriage extension best suits them.  Kinda like buying a car where budget, options, design, annual upkeep, etc., all come into play and people's choice will vary.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/24/2023 at 11:01 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A last thing for the day... Here's the PDF files of the four misc. Immigration rules/statements one-page sheets that BKK CW wants signed along with the various other retirement extension paperwork.

They're also typically available upon request in paper form from the Immigration Information counter just inside the main entrance of the BKK CW Immigration office area.

1 Ret Exten Overstay Penalties Form (blank).pdf 334.19 kB · 28 downloads

3 Ret Exten Statement 3 (blank).pdf 974.33 kB · 30 downloads

4 Ret Exten Police Order rules to sign 1.pdf 512.39 kB · 28 downloads

2 Ret Exten Statement 2 (blank).pdf 1.47 MB · 22 downloads

That document 4 Ref Exten you attached was thrown out by Imm Officer this week for me. Its been updated to a newer version as attached.

RetExtenReqsinENfromImmigration-Sept2023version.pdf

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

That document 4 Ref Exten you attached was thrown out by Imm Officer this week for me. Its been updated to a newer version as attached.

RetExtenReqsinENfromImmigration-Sept2023version.pdf 112.52 kB · 1 download

Is that form printed front and back (one page) or requires 2 pages?  Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

RetExtenReqsinENfromImmigration-Sept2023version.pdf 112.52 kB · 5 downloads

Thanks for updating and posting that new file...

On my visit last week, there was some shuffling between the IO and me on that page... but I didn't realize the very similar looking sheet was a different late 2021 version.

The one I posted earlier in the thread, which now should be replaced by your newer version, was a late 2019 dated version.

Much appreciated!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Which office was this?

The office in the thread subject title.

One thing I noticed when going with online booking this week to CW was the usual L1-32 counter was not being used as previously for onliners and I was sent to L1-35 which is also a queue ticket counter so you never know when you will get in with a 1 hour online booking window and no queue number. So I did the usual walk/barge in when others were being served and IO took my docs as I was on-time and served me next after she had completed current customers. Overall fast service, under 30 minutes, but queuing system not that clear.

2 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

The office in the thread subject title.

One thing I noticed when going with online booking this week to CW was the usual L1-32 counter was not being used as previously for onliners and I was sent to L1-35 which is also a queue ticket counter so you never know when you will get in with a 1 hour online booking window and no queue number. So I did the usual walk/barge in when others were being served and IO took my docs as I was on-time and served me next after she had completed current customers. Overall fast service, under 30 minutes, but queuing system not that clear.

When you do the online appointment for an extension in the L section at BKK CW, I'm guessing you don't need to get a regular queue ticket from the front counter upon your arrival?

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

When you do the online appointment for an extension in the L section at BKK CW, I'm guessing you don't need to get a regular queue ticket from the front counter upon your arrival?

Correct.

Even if directed to doc check after que desk. #1-4.

ignore that. 

walk to L32.

You need to show hard copy of appointment confirmation. 

Arrive at L desk 20 minutes early. 

without being pushy have your appointment on display..

They not call you up.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Correct.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

One thing I noticed when going with online booking this week to CW was the usual L1-32 counter was not being used as previously for onliners and I was sent to L1-35 which is also a queue ticket counter so you never know when you will get in with a 1 hour online booking window and no queue number.

During my visit, I noticed the same about a different desk being used for appointment applications... And, once or twice during my time sitting there waiting, a woman officer walked out to the sitting area, and called out something like, 'Online Appointments?"

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Even if directed to doc check after que desk. #1-4.

ignore that. 

walk to L32.

I did that the year before. The queue desk#1-4 said I didn't need a queue# and to go straight to L1-32. But as soon as I got to L1-32 the IO said I must go to L1-27 for doc check first! So this year I went straight to L1-27 before anywhere else, and they were OK with that.

Only issue, once again there was no queuing system for L1-27 either so you have to stand mingling around the entrance also, unless like some who used an agent who did the standing around for you . So I without agent stood outside and shuffled in when it looked like a good moment. Overall I would say the online queuing and checking system is worse experience than last year but time taken was the same.

Edited by Hamus Yaigh
  • Thumbs Up 1