Thai resident uncovers neighbour’s electricity theft causing spike in bills

snoop1130

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

For historical reasons so the meter can be accessed and read without needing access to the property. But newer readers can transmit their data so it would be possible. But the person in question here anyways had no business connecting their cable on the electricity pole which is government property.

Quite obviously had no business, but as dishonest people will always exist, my point was plainly to reduce the odds of getting robbed or scammed. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Never will understand why the meter and connections are not individually installed within the owners premises and with no access to neighbours.

or the meter reading operative

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

After inviting the Electricity Authority to inspect the meter, the electricity theft truth was revealed – the neighbour had secretly tapped into Anon’s electricity. Anon also requested the Electricity Authority to review the neighbour’s electricity usage records and discovered that their usual bill was between 6,000 to 7,000 baht. When confronted, the neighbour admitted to the act but claimed it was a misunderstanding, believing it was their own meter.

Liar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two things that cross my mind. 

There's a number to report corruption, which this is, if the police connection is relevant.

If the neighbour has been using the electricity and not paying for it then they are stealing from the electricity company, not from Anon. 

They are better positioned to deal with it. 

Edited by kimamey

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Screenshot-2023-08-25-150645.jpg

A resident named Anon, also known as Kee, was surprised to receive an unusually high electricity bill. Concerned about this, they contacted the Thai Electricity Authority to investigate the matter.

The investigation uncovered a shocking revelation – Anon’s neighbour had been stealing electricity by connecting their house directly to Anon’s electric meter. This unauthorized connection led to a spike in Anon’s electricity bill.

At 1pm today, Anon explained to an online news outlet that a neighbour had connected a line directly under the meter and routed the electricity into their house, inflating Anon’s electricity bill. Anon, who hadn’t been home often due to staying at another house, was perplexed as the usual bill was around 1,500 baht. However, during the first month of absence, the bill rose to between 2,500 to 3,000 baht. Anon initially attributed this to the air conditioner, but by the third and fourth months, despite reducing its use, the bill remained at around 2,500 baht.

After inviting the Electricity Authority to inspect the meter, the electricity theft truth was revealed – the neighbour had secretly tapped into Anon’s electricity. Anon also requested the Electricity Authority to review the neighbour’s electricity usage records and discovered that their usual bill was between 6,000 to 7,000 baht. When confronted, the neighbour admitted to the act but claimed it was a misunderstanding, believing it was their own meter.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Electricity illustration, coynecollege.edu

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-resident-uncovers-neighbours-electricity-theft-causing-spike-in-bills

-- Thaiger 2023-08-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

quote "When confronted, the neighbour admitted to the act but claimed it was a misunderstanding, believing it was their own meter".

BS. EVERY electric bill has the meter number on it. In addition there is normally only 1 pair of cables on the output of the meter.

To pair from your neighbours meter an extra pair of cables must be deliberately physically connected to the meter output.

It was no "simple mistake", just simply theft.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, kimamey said:

If the neighbour has been using the electricity and not paying for it then they are stealing from the electricity company, not from Anon.

He didn't steal from the electric company. He put his usage on the meter and therefore bill of his neighbour. What the electric company could press charges for is unauthorized modification of state property.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

To pair from your neighbours meter an extra pair of cables must be deliberately physically connected to the meter output.

It was no "simple mistake", just simply theft.

Yea there is no way this can happen by accident because if the neighbour wanted to add some cable for additional load he would just connect it to his mains inside his property. There is never a reason to connect directly to the pole unless they want to steal power.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

And probably theft at night, to boot????

It depends how busy the road is.

Messing about with electricity in the dark is not something that I would want to do, and is more likely to look suspicious than if done during daylight hours Monday to Friday.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Screenshot-2023-08-25-150645.jpg

A resident named Anon, also known as Kee, was surprised to receive an unusually high electricity bill. Concerned about this, they contacted the Thai Electricity Authority to investigate the matter.

The investigation uncovered a shocking revelation – Anon’s neighbour had been stealing electricity by connecting their house directly to Anon’s electric meter. This unauthorized connection led to a spike in Anon’s electricity bill.

At 1pm today, Anon explained to an online news outlet that a neighbour had connected a line directly under the meter and routed the electricity into their house, inflating Anon’s electricity bill. Anon, who hadn’t been home often due to staying at another house, was perplexed as the usual bill was around 1,500 baht. However, during the first month of absence, the bill rose to between 2,500 to 3,000 baht. Anon initially attributed this to the air conditioner, but by the third and fourth months, despite reducing its use, the bill remained at around 2,500 baht.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Electricity illustration, coynecollege.edu

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/thai-resident-uncovers-neighbours-electricity-theft-causing-spike-in-bills

-- Thaiger 2023-08-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Ahhhh.

The old 'misunderstanding' trick.

Ok...that is theft but what is it called when MEA Thailand send a letter to my home stating that my metre is not working properly therefore they charge me an estimate for the last three months..... whereas nobody has been home since may and the main was shut.

When contacted, proof in hand, they replied that they will not refund but will put the difference on the next bill: waiting for it ( no apology though)

What bothers me is that I pay through direct debit and I had left the necessary amounts on my account for a period of six months. 

Hadn't I checked by chance all payments would have been declines for insufficient funds

Quite an arbitrary decision that I have never heard of