Can a retired expat get social secturity ?

Don Chance

1 hour ago, impulse said:

The real benefit of paying in is the Gub'ment health insurance, which you can keep as long as you keep paying in a few bucks a month.  Probably not as good as a $500 a month plan with a Euro health insurance company, but good to have if you need it.

The OP was asking about contributing under Section 40, which is a way for the self-employed or others outside formal employment to join. I'm not sure if he's aware that this doesn't provide health coverage, only daily payments intended to cover loss of income due to injury or sickness.  

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

You would be entitled to a pension. They're go to anyone who has made the contributions. 20 years should put you between 4-5,000 baht a month or you could take it as a lump sum. I've known foreigners who've done both. I understand not wanting to take it though. You can log into the Social Security Office website to check your total contributions.

Thank you for that KhaoNiaw.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

The real benefit of paying in is the Gub'ment health insurance, which you can keep as long as you keep paying in a few bucks a month.  Probably not as good as a $500 a month plan with a Euro health insurance company, but good to have if you need it.

I received great treatment earlier this year... all covered by SS, bill was circa 5.5 million Iam told.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

Good info.  Was that while you were employed, or after your employment and you were paying into the program?

Am still employed (employer held my job for 3 months), SS costs me Bt.750.00 a month.

My registered hospital is Phayathai Sriracha.

Edited by Ralf001

14 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Of course not, dude.

Save up or invest your money in crypto or hedge funds. As farangs we have the money to do so. The Thai are poor and must rely on SS and us western Caucasian white farangs to feed their families.

Quite a few Thais i know have a lot more money than 90% of the people on this forum.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2023 at 5:54 PM, Don Chance said:

No, you need to fulfill the rights for SS to be eligible for the voluntary extension.

This topic brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. Sometime in the near future I will be setting up a Thai Ltd Company that will hopefully make a profit and therefore have to pay tax. I'm told that any directors or employees over 65 will either not have to pay SS on their salaries or will have any that is paid, returned.

I'm unsure what benefits an employee under 65 gets in terms of healthcare but I presume its the usual hospital cover etc. So if they don't have to pay SS when they reach 65 or pay it and get a refund, does that mean healthcare ends? Can they not elect to continue paying SS past 65 and therefore be eligible for healthcare cover?  What about someone joining the company who is already over 65, is there no way they can get health cover other than private?

In al cases I'm refering to expats - not Thai citizens.

Edited by MangoKorat