Third passenger terminal for Bangkok’s Don Mueang airport

webfact

image.jpeg

Bangkok’s Don Mueang Airport is to get a third passenger terminal, to improve capacity at the capital’s second airport. The project was confirmed by Airports of Thailand president, Kerati Kijmanawat, yesterday, August 29.

Over the past week the new PM Srettha Thavisin has been talking up the importance of tourism to support the Thai economy and mentioned the construction of a new airport in Phang Nga.

Kerati was fresh from a meeting of 8 airline representatives and the PM at Pheu Thai headquarters the day before. Attendees discussed preparations for the forthcoming high tourist season and updated the PM on the outlook for domestic and international air travel.

By Peter Roche

PHOTO: Don Mueang Airport

-- PhuketGO 2023-08-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Deserted said:

More importantly, what a U-turn they've taken over Don Muang. They shut it down for years, now they want a third terminal there! 

Thai-style planning. The new airport was built on plans largely formulated in the 1960s, and they were shocked that within a few months it exceeded capacity and they were forced to reopen DM, at first by bribing Air Asia to return there.

Let's hope that the new terminal is exclusively for flights to/from China, to clear space for the rest of us.

I flew into/out of DMK domestic and thought it was great. Took the MRT and Red Line there. No queuing as security and pretty much straight through. It has a 7-11 past security with only slightly higher than normal 7-11 prices, but still much cheaper than shops in any other Thai airport I have been to. It also had a purse/bag shop with unique designs of a good quality and reasonable prices, where I bought a few gifts. A lot of the jet bridges seemed empty with no aircraft, but perhaps it reaches capacity at certain times of the day? Took a taxi from the airport back to the apartment coming back, and had a odd short wait and the waiting area and process could be improved.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

to get a third passenger terminal, to improve capacity at the capital’s second airport

It's definitely needed especially with the new "visa rule" for Chinese and Indians. ???? millions desperately rushing to get here ????, hurry up. 

4 hours ago, paulbrow said:

Personally, I think DMK is exceptionally easy to get to, in and out of. Also, it's a much shorter trip then to go all the way out to Suvarnabhumi. 

Yes, thanks, I totally agree. For people living in the North of Thailand (with flights not having to connect with International flights at BKK) DMK is far more convenient. Most Inter Provincial buses from across the North, stop at Future Park Rangsit which is just a few minutes by taxi to DMK (just down the road). With Inter Provincial SRT trains now stopping at the new DMK station IMO DMK airport will be even busier. Will be great to see a third Terminal. I have used the Rangsit - DMK route on many occasions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, paulbrow said:

Personally, I think DMK is exceptionally easy to get to, in and out of. Also, it's a much shorter trip then to go all the way out to Suvarnabhumi. 

From where? Swampy is easier from the West.

Edited by KannikaP