No more beer in glass bottles on Koh Tao

snoop1130

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

And how many suppliers/bars/shops on Koh Tao do you know that will pay to ship their empties back to the mainland?

Who collects it at the other end?

that wasn't what i responded to, it was the first part of your comment and your seemingly pompous attitude..... but maybe i misread it.

the issue would be solved if the breweries bought the bottles back, but there would have to be some specific deal done with it as the boats have to pay their fuel costs.

14 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

If you require a big enough deposit on the bottles they will soon be picked up say 20B. I remember in Switzerland a long time ago the deposit on a milk bottle was more than the milk in the bottle.

In the UK, we used to get all our milk and drinks delivered in Glass bottles which were 'washed and reused' (recycling)....   

Somehow we have devolved and are now putting all our plastics in a dedicated bin for recycling and no longer have anything glass delivered....  We've gone backwards. 

So yes...   IF the deposit on the bottles was large enough they would be recycled conventionally. But then another company would come in and undercut eventually devaluing the recyclable material to its raw material worth after which point its a matter of nothing other than economics... 

Its easier cheaper to transport crushed cans from an island than bottles...   I think the issue comes down to this simplicity.

Of course, other issues need to be addressed, i.e. not littering in the first place, but that is an issue of education which is difficult in a country where such issues are not really part of general education in the first place.  

23 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Great plan. Instead of the glass bottles, the aluminium cans will pile up. This despite the fact that it is much easier to reuse and recycle glass bottles...

From an island perspective I think aluminium is much smarter than glass. You can compress all the cans on the island resulting in much less volume and weight to transport it back to the mainland and recycle. Not all fast or easy solutions are better, same solar being overrated as of all the issues the old panels cause as well the batteries. Not to mention the damage done mining what is needed for these panels and batteries compared to oil, most existing after water.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

• 2 months later...
On 8/30/2023 at 7:10 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Isn't this upside down ???

Glass is perhaps the most environmentally and trash-free of all the potential receptacles. 

The beach is basically made up of 'glass'... 

The logic behind this is preposterous, it is perhaps only vaguely understandable how some such policy can be put place after living here and seeing the irrational and utterly illogical decisions take effect.

Even can's have plastic inside them....   

Cans are made of aluminium. One of the most abundant elements on earth. 

• Like 1