No more beer in glass bottles on Koh Tao

snoop1130

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Isn't this upside down ???

Glass is perhaps the most environmentally and trash-free of all the potential receptacles. 

The beach is basically made up of 'glass'... 

The logic behind this is preposterous, it is perhaps only vaguely understandable how some such policy can be put place after living here and seeing the irrational and utterly illogical decisions take effect.

Even can's have plastic inside them....   

Great post, but please do not try logically explaining greenness. It is feelings and virtue over fact.

Koh Tao has problems. Glass bottles are somewhere near the bottom of the list in terms of seriousness.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Glass is perhaps the most environmentally and trash-free of all the potential receptacles. 

100% correct, what genius came up with this nonsense :cheesy:

:burp:

they should all be sacked for gross stupidity

• Thanks 1

any bar i frequent recycle all bottles back to suplier to be reclaimed back into the supply chain, also bins are provided for glass throughout the country, even in my condo glass bottles are recycled

they must be trying to address some other problem, maybe they should address that instead of this stupidity

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The collectors that make a living from collecting the recycle items make more money than with glass bottles. (So they told me.)

because generally most glass goes a different route as i described above

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

On Koh Tao. I doubt it.

What good would that do? They still have to ship everything to the mainland.

It is probably the shipping that is the bigger problem.

They manage to ship it in... they can ship it out

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Try selling that line to a mother whose kid has just stepped on glass from a broken bottle on the beach.

That's not the recycling problem, that's when somebody leaves garbage in the wrong places.

There are actually a number of recycling machines available that instantly can convert a glass bottle to sand...

DB-Breweries-1.jpg?p=1

• Like 2

Very logical. It is an Island, so all bottles come from main land, weighing a lot. It is just dead weight.

So cost a lot of fuel. Also you have to transport back, a lot of dead weight. Taking up volume then which you could use otherwise or safe on fuel.

The cans can be squashed together, so less space and way lighter and they can and will be reused.

For collecting back, put return money on it, should have been done earlier with the bottles.

If tourist are too lazy to return, you can motivate Thai (kids?) to hunt for it, so they get some return money and keep the island clean of it. Return money in an island return money account from which is paid back to anyone delivering the cans, bottles.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They manage to ship it in... they can ship it out

Oh dear.

Think about it please.

You are comparing eggs to elephants.

The supplier (rich businesses?) ship it in.

The local government ship it out.

If the residents of Koh Tao are anything like the residents on Koh Samui, then most of them do not pay the garbage collection taxes. That is why so many locals burn their garbage.

The money has to come from somewhere.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2023 at 6:08 PM, 2long said:

So how do people now drink a 'large' beer?

Local Somchais all around the country like large bottles of Leo or Chang.

I can see where this idea is coming from, but surely there are other ways of improving the situation.

???? real sorry you can get your big glass bottle of warm Chang and need to drink tallboys suffering economic hardship and breaking the monthly budget in the process.

It's an island !sff

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ratman said:

good move and charge 5 Baht per can  and pay the 5 Baht per can when  taken to recycle center like in the USA 

The US has one of the worst recycling rates in the world. (or as the case in many states...) NO recycling at all except for the homeless collecting discarded items.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

For collecting back, put return money on it, should have been done earlier with the bottles.

If tourist are too lazy to return, you can motivate Thai (kids?) to hunt for it, so they get some return money and keep the island clean of it. Return money in an island return money account from which is paid back to anyone delivering the cans, bottles.

If you started paying kids for returning bottles, they'd soon be hauling boatloads of empty bottles from the mainland.  Kids would line up at the dock, waiting to buy a wheelbarrow full of empty bottles to turn in at even a slight profit.

Still wouldn't solve the biggest problem with glass bottles on the beach, which is broken glass cutting people who tend to walk barefoot when they're on holiday at the beach.

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Oh dear.

Think about it please.

If the residents of Koh Tao are anything like the residents on Koh Samui, then most of them do not pay the garbage collection taxes. That is why so many locals burn their garbage.

Yes, like I said... but you missed my point, because yo weren't thinking.

The rich businesses pay for the collection services.

They ship it in, they ship it out.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Oh dear.

Think about it please.

there isn't a 'Singha' or 'Chang' boat that ships it over.... all the supplies for the Island are brought in by privately owned companies, you buy stock for you bar, restaurant etc, you pay shipping.... 

Why cannot the breweries reuse the empty bottles? 

The cost of the empty bottles can be reduced from the selling price  - to encourage the return of empties. 

The delivery trucks themselves can  take the empties back to the breweries. 

Similar to the domestic cooking gas cylinders.

1 hour ago, frank83628 said:

there isn't a 'Singha' or 'Chang' boat that ships it over.... all the supplies for the Island are brought in by privately owned companies, you buy stock for you bar, restaurant etc, you pay shipping.... 

And how many suppliers/bars/shops on Koh Tao do you know that will pay to ship their empties back to the mainland?

Who collects it at the other end?

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Yes, like I said... but you missed my point, because yo weren't thinking.

The rich businesses pay for the collection services.

They ship it in, they ship it out.

Please share with us their response to you when you tell them that little gem.

28 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Please share with us their response to you when you tell them that little gem.

My response as governor would be, if you don't ship it out, you don't ship it in..
I guarantee within days it would be solved.