No more beer in glass bottles on Koh Tao

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Try selling that line to a mother whose kid has just stepped on glass from a broken bottle on the beach.

I don't recall the last time I was at a beach (or a pool) that allowed glass containers, for that very reason. 

I do recall the 6th grade when I stepped on some broken glass in the water and badly slit my foot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Glass is perhaps the most environmentally and trash-free of all the potential receptacles. 

The beach is basically made up of 'glass'... 

Try selling that line to a mother whose kid has just stepped on glass from a broken bottle on the beach.

No one ever cut themselves on a torn open beer can, or a sharp fragmented shell ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No one ever cut themselves on a torn open beer can, or a sharp fragmented shell ?

No, never.   To use the words of someone earlier in the thread  (can't be ar_sed to check who) that's a "preposterous, irrational and utterly illogical" idea!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 2long said:

So how do people now drink a 'large' beer?

Local Somchais all around the country like large bottles of Leo or Chang.

I can see where this idea is coming from, but surely there are other ways of improving the situation.

Not many Somchais on Koh Tao.

Mostly Burmese, foreigners living/working there and tourists.

All garbage on Koh Tao (and the other nearby islands) has to be taken to the mainland by boat.

12 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Cans compact down. So it is easier to put them into garbage bags for the recycle collectors. Also, many more in a bag.

The collectors that make a living from collecting the recycle items make more money than with glass bottles. (So they told me.)

They prefer cans. Lighter to carry, easier to carry and do not break and cause damage. Broken bottles mixed up with the garbage are very nasty.

The bottles only make money when they are in the original box and can be returned to the brewery. Again, so I was informed.

Broken glass bottles are very dangerous pollution. Not all recycling places will take bottles. So they are not fully recyclable. They will all buy cans.

These comments are based on living in Samui. All of our garbage is shipped to the mainland. Eventually.

Have they never heard of a bottle bank?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I would start with some clean up among all those unsolved murder cases ..... might be more effective than glass and aluminium together. Latter is definitely the poorer choice as far as environment issues are concerned and many beer drinkers might agree to the fact, that a beer from a can tastes not as good as from a bottle .........