Thai Airways takes off in new direction with operational shake-up

snoop1130

I have accrued loads of miles on Thai Airways (Royal Orchid). No way to use those miles. No business tickets available on miles. When I try economy class it's the route I want that is not available, or the "class" within the ticket, whatever that means.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mark131v said:

No they code share, Thai and SAS work together so that they can offer BKK/MAN flights it's really not that difficult....

SAS have been flying to Manchester for decades - it's really not that difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:50 PM, nauseus said:

Thai doesn't fly to Manchester. 

I tend to agree.. codeshare nonsense doesn't change the fact that I will be on a terrible short haul KLM flight if I go via AMS, a miserable, likely late, BA domestic if I go via LHR and heaven forbid the abysmal one via Helsinki. Where the transit occurs, and who the short haul carrier is impacts my decision a lot. 

8 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

sadly Emirates and Qatar air  have lowered the quality of their offering  as well poor food ,, less alcoholic drinks served  higher prices, poorer entertainment selections  ,, less cleaning too.  staff are still good

As previously noted, I fly Emirates often BKK~HKG  (only 2 hrs roughly) and their price (incl 35kgs baggage ) is cheaper than AirAsia !

Yes the meal served is "no choice " but it's ok. Wine and beer aplenty.

(I even knocked over 1 full glass of red wine Into the aisle and cabin staff raced up to give me a new full glass...in Economy ! I apologised for the accident, and he said "no problem Sir" with a smile)

I doubt is I'd get another drop on TH.

They are nearly always exactly on time....TG usually an hour or so late...and this is not a busy route!

8 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

sadly Emirates and Qatar air  have lowered the quality of their offering  as well poor food ,, less alcoholic drinks served  higher prices, poorer entertainment selections  ,, less cleaning too.  staff are still good

As previously noted, I fly Emirates often BKK~HKG  (only 2 hrs roughly) and their price (incl 35kgs baggage ) is cheaper than AirAsia !

Yes the meal served is "no choice " but it's ok. Wine and beer aplenty.

(I even knocked over 1 full glass of red wine Into the aisle and cabin staff raced up to give me a new full glass...in Economy ! I apologised for the accident, and he said "no problem Sir" with a smile)

I doubt is I'd get another drop on TH.

They are nearly always exactly on time....TG usually an hour or so late...and this is not a busy route!

11 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Thanks all,

This has been useful and as a frequent flyer I will take on board your comments for future flights and definitely check them out instead of just glossing over them as I usually do.

Another poster has given me good insights into both Oman air and Gulf air for business class seats which have been available at far better rates than Qatar and Emirates.

I am Qatar through and through with a Gold membership but their recent economy and business class flights have been eye watering price wise, so I will definitely be looking around on future trips.

There comes a time where it becomes a balancing act of what the advantages there are with your loyalty benefits are outweighed by the better price of a decent business class seat.

Can you elaborate?

On 9/1/2023 at 7:49 PM, mark131v said:

Just flown with Thai to Manchester return and will not be doing so again, reason I did this time is because they where cheapest, guess it's true, you get what you pay for!

They used to be my go to airline in the early days as they flew direct but I wouldn't use even for a direct flight

Why? dirty aircraft seat back and table had old food stains on it, cramped and dated, poor in flight entertainment system, uncomfortable seats with no leg room and crap food and service

I may have been spoiled by using Emirates and Qatar lately but won't be using Thai again....

Last year TG were offering seats BKK-LHR for about 10,000 baht - well worth a punt I thought. 

However, the return offset this and was about 30,000 baht...

By far the better option was Emirates (which at the time was about 30,000 baht) and we could breakup the journey stopping over in the UAE for a swim and dinner.

We fly to Japan with Thai Airways... and as you point out, the aircraft interior on some of the aircraft seems dated now - simply not up to the standards of Emirates or Qatar. 

5 hours ago, JackGats said:

I have accrued loads of miles on Thai Airways (Royal Orchid). No way to use those miles. No business tickets available on miles. When I try economy class it's the route I want that is not available, or the "class" within the ticket, whatever that means.

Using Thai Airways Air miles is nearly an impossibility - I'm not sure why TG makes it so difficult. 

We have enough Airmiles to fly 3 of us return to the UK business class, but, no seats (even 330 days out - max days for pre-booking Airmiles seats) - That said, the Tax on business Air-miles seats is high such that its not really worth it.

We managed to secure Airmiles flights to Japan. 

Had to book one way first (because of Max 330 days booking in advance) and then wait a little longer before booking the return flight...  Wife was up in the earlier hours of the morning to get ahead in the queue.

It was amazing the see that the 'seats sold out' so quickly - I suspect some of the staff giving air-miles seats to their friend etc. 

On 9/1/2023 at 11:33 PM, orchidfan said:

Me too.

Often fly BKK ~ HKG return.

Used to try Thai pre Covid on occasions as Thai wife liked.their food/language etc.

But tried them once earlier this year.

Prices similar to Emirates but EK outshine them (on the A380) in comfort,  food, wine, big touchscreen entertainment and friendly service.

Thai were an hour late on each leg, many days apart.

Emirates pushback and departure /arrivals are spot on schedule.

Flex ticket and 35kgs baggage (TG 30kgs)

EK usually have staff speaking  up to 14 languages on the A380.

Thai ?????

Think I'm sticking with EK.

THAI have "dropped the ball "

To think that back in the day they used to be a top ten airline. How things have changed. This is simply one small step backwards under the Prayuth administration. I could cite 40 more. The army should stick to bossing around young cadets. They are not qualified for much else. 

Edited by spidermike007

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Using Thai Airways Air miles is nearly an impossibility - I'm not sure why TG makes it so difficult. 

We have enough Airmiles to fly 3 of us return to the UK business class, but, no seats (even 330 days out - max days for pre-booking Airmiles seats) - That said, the Tax on business Air-miles seats is high such that its not really worth it.

Had to book one way first (because of Max 330 days booking in advance) and then wait a little longer before booking the return flight...  Wife was up in the earlier hours of the morning to get ahead in the queue.

It was amazing the see that the 'seats sold out' so quickly - I suspect some of the staff giving air-miles seats to their friend etc. 

The use of miles is a perk and a freebie. Only given to the generals and govt. officials, not the plebs. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The use of miles is a perk and a freebie. Only given to the generals and govt. officials, not the plebs. 

It is now an airline to avoid. I wish I had switched to Miles & More back then instead of believing in the Thai Airways myth.

On 9/1/2023 at 7:20 PM, mark131v said:

Sorry I quoted wrong reply but they do! they code share with SAS so 2 hour to Copenhagen then 11 to BKK they also do the same through Sweden as well but can't remember the name of the airport 

Edit looked it up it's ARN in Stockholm just thought of a positive that turned out not to be, the transfer time for both airports was about 40 minutes, sounds good but was horrible off one flight and rush to queue up for the next then onto a 11/12 hour flight 

I had a similar experience in CPH on the way back home - the two planes were parked at opposite ends of the airport. 40 minutes to get thru and hope the bags make it on. They did.

I've flown Thai C + Y recently and never found cause for complaint. Other than booking that insane turnround which was even worse because they didn't book me right thru to final destination - after legging it across 3 terminals I just scraped in as they were boarding.

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

SAS have been flying to Manchester for decades - it's really not that difficult.

No they code share!

No idea if you're slow on the uptake or just plain pedantic but if you Google  Manchester to Bangkok that will pop up

The topic is about Thai airways and as the 11/12 hour part of said flight they are the the main contributing airline, they are also in my humble opinion a bit crap or they were on this occasion... 

On 9/1/2023 at 11:40 PM, Scouse123 said:

Flying to Manchester from Bangkok this Wednesday with Qatar as usual. A380 to Doha at the front of the aircraft, I am in economy but with legroom seat and then in business class to Manchester from Doha.

Looking forward to it.

I gave up with Thai a long time ago, I was a fan of EVA at one time but since I now prefer Qatar, followed by Etihad and Emirates.

You can't beat the Middle Eastern airlines at the moment, although all flights to the UK from Bangkok at the moment tend to be eye watering with the prices, except for Lufthansa and Austrian airlines who I have never flown with.

I prefer LH and OS. Non-stop from MUC/VIE. Plenty of time for grub, movie, decent kip. Though LH business class is outrageous - still with 2-2-2 so I've been avoiding them till they get the new layout in.

On 9/2/2023 at 5:19 AM, findlay13 said:

I have just received my refund [Thanks] after 4 years.It's unacceptable to have to wait so long.But at least I have been paid.I had given up hope of ever seeing that money again

I used to love Thai flying out of Brisbane but they closed the office and there are no BNE _BKK flights .They lost all the staff members I knew.

I wont be using them again.They are a Potemkin airline these days.

I got a refund 6 weeks ago for an Air Asia flight I cancelled in January. I chased it up some time in April but all it said was 'in process'. I gave up on it cos it was only the fuel/tax etc and not worth the aggravation tilting at windmills.

And then suddenly there it was on my CC. Happy happy - I'd forgotten all about it.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It can be quite hit and miss/last minute trying for C class seats with TG, but they are part of the Star Alliance so their miles should be valid on other carriers as well ...

I have flown on Thai Airways hundreds of times since the 1980s.

Most recently in June. I found them to be good

Sometimes I found the flight attendants to be arrogant, but overall, it's okay.

Edited by CDG931

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

No they code share!

No idea if you're slow on the uptake or just plain pedantic but if you Google  Manchester to Bangkok that will pop up

The topic is about Thai airways and as the 11/12 hour part of said flight they are the the main contributing airline, they are also in my humble opinion a bit crap or they were on this occasion... 

Why didn't you just say the flight was on a TG/SK codeshare, without implying that THAI actually fly into Manchester? Much easier, accurate and truthful. 

• Like 1

Pedantic it is then!

for the hard of thinking:

What Is a Codeshare Flight?

Essentially, a codeshare flight is an agreement between airlines to sell seats on each other’s flights. This gives the appearance of airlines flying to more destinations. By doing so, the airlines typically share the revenue on that ticket.

Say you want to visit the incredible city of Istanbul, Turkey. If you search for flights to Istanbul, you’ll find plenty of flight options on American, Delta and United’s websites. If you look closely, you’ll see the top results will usually have flight numbers matching the airline you’re searching on.

For example, say you search for flights from New York City (JFK) to Istanbul (IST) on American Airlines’ website. The first result listed is a one-stop flight through London Heathrow (LHR). Both of the flights have American Airlines flight numbers, but neither are operated by American Airlines. Instead, you’ll find in small print that both flights are operated by British Airways:

AAcodeshareJFKtoIST.png

Similarly, if you search the same route from New York City to Istanbul on Delta’s website, you’ll also see flights with Delta flight numbers. But again, Delta doesn’t operate these flights. In this case, Delta is selling codeshare flights on KLM-operated flights with a stop in Amsterdam (AMS).

DeltacodeshareJFKtoIST.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Pedantic it is then!

for the hard of thinking:

What Is a Codeshare Flight?

Essentially, a codeshare flight is an agreement between airlines to sell seats on each other’s flights. This gives the appearance of airlines flying to more destinations. By doing so, the airlines typically share the revenue on that ticket.

Say you want to visit the incredible city of Istanbul, Turkey. If you search for flights to Istanbul, you’ll find plenty of flight options on American, Delta and United’s websites. If you look closely, you’ll see the top results will usually have flight numbers matching the airline you’re searching on.

For example, say you search for flights from New York City (JFK) to Istanbul (IST) on American Airlines’ website. The first result listed is a one-stop flight through London Heathrow (LHR). Both of the flights have American Airlines flight numbers, but neither are operated by American Airlines. Instead, you’ll find in small print that both flights are operated by British Airways:

AAcodeshareJFKtoIST.png

Similarly, if you search the same route from New York City to Istanbul on Delta’s website, you’ll also see flights with Delta flight numbers. But again, Delta doesn’t operate these flights. In this case, Delta is selling codeshare flights on KLM-operated flights with a stop in Amsterdam (AMS).

DeltacodeshareJFKtoIST.png

By the way the 2 hour out out and 1 hour 40 in on the SAS flight was basic at best but was on time with a swift transfer, the Thai flight 11/12 hour was a bit <deleted> at best but on time and the baggage turned up where it was meant to

SAS website and online booking much slicker and easier then the Thai offering, just for clarity and to keep the pedants happier, notice I didn't say happy....

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

By the way the 2 hour out out and 1 hour 40 in on the SAS flight was basic at best but was on time with a swift transfer, the Thai flight 11/12 hour was a bit <deleted> at best but on time and the baggage turned up where it was meant to

SAS website and online booking much slicker and easier then the Thai offering, just for clarity and to keep the pedants happier, notice I didn't say happy....

I happily gave up taking any notice of what you say about 3 posts ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/1/2023 at 5:30 PM, snoop1130 said:

Retouch-B777-300-Hi-Res-copy-916x516-1.jpg

Thai Airways International (THAI) Public Company Limited today announced several operational changes. THAI will use Airbus A320 aircraft for routes formerly managed by THAI Smile Airways: Ahmedabad, Kaohsiung, and Penang. The A320s will also fly to Kolkata, a route currently operated by THAI. Changes begin on September 1 for Ahmedabad and October 15 for Kolkata.

The detailed flight schedule is as follows:

Starting with Ahmedabad, the Bangkok-Ahmedabad route will operate seven flights per week.

Flight TG343 will depart from Bangkok at 8.30pm and land in Ahmedabad at 11.55pm local time. From October 29, 2023, the departure time will adjust slightly to 8.35pm, maintaining the same arrival time.

The return flight, TG344, will leave Ahmedabad at 12.55am local time, arriving in Bangkok at 6.55am.

The Bangkok-Kaohsiung route operates seven flights weekly.

Flight TG630 departs Bangkok at 11.45am, arriving in Kaohsiung at 4.15pm local time. Starting October 29, the departure shifts slightly to 11.55am while the arrival time remains the same.

By Alex Morgan

Caption: Photo courtesy of Business Traveller

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/world/aviation/thai-airways-switches-airbus-a320-operations-to-four-destinations

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

OK, but what about some noticeable changes (improvements) to staff behaviors and attitudes. 

59 minutes ago, JackGats said:

This is what I get when I try to upgrade a Star Alliance flight with Royal Orchid miles. When I wrote to them about it they replied with all sorts of arguments about classes and unavailability.

It's almost impossible. I have bought the most expensive flex tickets but no upgrades online. When I call them to ask they say my class of ticket is not eligible. I have tried so many flights that I have pretty much given up. I understand not letting super saver tickets upgrade, but the most expensive flex tickets? Still can't.

Maybe as someone else suggested I should next time book another Star Alliance airline if they fly to the same destination and try that, but not many choices unless I am flying to Singapore, and then who cares about upgrading a two hour flight.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles but can't use them. Tried flying to Japan - nope, not available on any date. UK, nope not on any date.

I am not a Thai Airways basher, I generally like flying with them (regionally), but their Royal Orchid points program is really really poor.

• Love It 1