Xi Jinping invites Srettha to Beijing for economic talks as he finalises his new cabinet lineup 

webfact

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Srettha hasn't had time to see if he can get his feet under the table yet, and Xi wants him to pop-over for a chat about letting China send all it's fake products and scammers over.

China wants to send over more submarines and new fighter jets as the deal with the US appears to be on shambles 

• Like 1

just a word of advise if I may.... China claims ALL of SCS and some of the Himalayas and next may be Thailand  555

China’s new national map has angered its neighbors

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/31/india/india-china-map-protest-intl-hnk/index.html

India and Malaysia protest China's land claim in a newly published map ahead of the G20 summit

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/30/india-china-territorial-dispute-g20-xi-modi/4263af26-46f8-11ee-b76b-0b6e5e92090d_story.html

China's new map of borders angers India, Philippines, Malaysia

https://www.9news.com.au/world/china-new-territorial-map-angers-neighbours-india-philippines-malaysia/0bca9c69-b21c-4998-a566-cef3783660d1

Edited by Mavideol
  • Love It 1

34 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

China wants to send over more submarines and new fighter jets as the deal with the US appears to be on shambles 

Appears so. On many levels. I was wrong about the US ambassador tweeting about his jogging above. No, while the Chinese ambassador was getting a meeting with Srettha, here's what the American ambassador was doing: 

Edited by John Drake

54 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Judging by the number of Chinese factory cities collapsing and the recent devastating floods,

The Chinese masses are out of work and can't afford to come.

Xi hasn't got much else to send.

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Nothing like a topic on normal, run-of-the-mill diplomatic meetings between the new leader of Thailand and the leader of China to bring out the "Expats Who Abhor All Things China Committee" to throw copious amounts of shade at both Srettha and Xi.  Like it or not, BRI and the China-ASEAN Free Trade Area agreements foster bilateral economic cooperation between neighboring countries in Asia, for the benefit of all countries involved.

Yes indeed, a very interesting topic. See

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanxi

And

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_network

Sretha is 3rd generation Chinese.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Srettha_Thavisin

I think "most favoured son" might be an apt description of his relationship with Xi.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Srettha hasn't had time to see if he can get his feet under the table yet, and Xi wants him to pop-over for a chat about letting China send all it's fake products and scammers over.

The Xi Emperor will demand that all those annoying commenters on AseanNow who frustrate his troll army be extradited forthwith!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

First of all I would like to congratulate you on suppressing the will of the people. The way you guys stole that election was crafty, and we at the CCP really admire you for that. That guy Pita was a pesky young one, and he wanted reform. You cannot allow that. One thing you will learn is that the will of the people is never important. It is the will of the government. We know best. They don't. So, now that you have learned lesson #1, you are well on your way. 

Lesson #2. Never wear your power lightly, or gracefully. As you can see, we do not. It is all about business interests. They must always come first. The people should always be a secondary consideration. Keep them happy enough so they do not revolt. That is all you have to understand about them. And do not allow them to protest or show their lack of fealty. That is not good either. And lastly, keep a tight leash on the press and social media. 

OK, now that we are done with that, would you prefer the 1982 Lafite Rothschild, or the 1959 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti?

The wines might be fakes.

2 hours ago, connda said:

Like it or not, BRI and the China-ASEAN Free Trade Area agreements foster bilateral economic cooperation between neighboring countries in Asia, for the benefit of all countries involved.

One Beneficiary, One Creditor - is that what you meant? It is for the benefit of China.

I really hope for your sake you are a propagandist, the alternative is that you are very naive.

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

Fine. Then maybe those faltering Western economies should apply reciprocal tariffs on Thai good going to the West until Thailand no longer has a trade surplus. Then, it can enjoy a trade deficit, just like it does with China.

Same like us tariffs on China? Cost us more than china. Will push Thailand more to China trade too. Thailand is developing economy and cheap manpower is  main asset. Over reached US claim top economy spot but consumerist burnout. Sad it is that try stay by being bully. And taking down EU in another tactics . The proxy war will eventually eat US too soon after sacrificing excess smug military who lounge in superior status all over the world instead of living on the street raiding rubbish bin and beggin . Worlds biggest social security circus is US  Military !

Outnumbered only by China. Who you  gonna call?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

Appears so. On many levels. I was wrong about the US ambassador tweeting about his jogging above. No, while the Chinese ambassador was getting a meeting with Srettha, here's what the American ambassador was doing: 

I have been suggested  this is  similar to  Nero fiddling while Rome burns ?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, RanongCat said:

Usual phobics. China is biggest trade partner with Thailand . Thailand has no need accede to whining critics from faltering West economies.

You are not just drinking the tea you are gulping it down... haha

17 hours ago, LALes said:

Time for China to ramp up the pressure for the Kra Canal.  Its been on the drawing board for about a decade and they must be getting antsy by now.

Yes, my thought too.. China can help build it all and end up owning a slice of Thailand!

On 9/2/2023 at 11:38 AM, John Drake said:

While the Chinese delegation to Thailand was being invited to meet the new PM, the American ambassador was tweeting pictures of the last place he went jogging.

Recalls Obama's visit to Thailand having tea with HM while the Chinese President went to see the sitting Thai prime minister for advising the next few instructions from Beijing - clevell, these Chinese plofessionals ???? 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mokwit said:

One Beneficiary, One Creditor - is that what you meant? It is for the benefit of China.

I really hope for your sake you are a propagandist, the alternative is that you are very naive.

Nativity tends to be the bastion of Western expats who strap the anchor of their government's own pro-colonialist propaganda around their waists, and then fail to take off the rose-tinted glasses to see the realities around them when they leave their own borders and reside elsewhere in the world.

China does not have 800 military bases world-wide in order to enforce Power Projection at the end of a gun for the enrichment of US-backed corporate and "stakeholder" interests.  The United States (and it's allies) on the contrary - Do. ????

Take the time to read books by Henry Kissinger and Zbigniew Brzezinski or at least read policy papers from the Council On Foreign Relations (CFR) (their magazine, Foreign Affairs, is less than $40/year) as US and Western foreign policy objectives are spelled out quite clearly for those who can read at a high school level. But most expats I know get their Geo-political viewpoints from 2 minute sound-bites on CNN or MSNBC or other MSM outlets, or short MSM filtered sound-bites from White House and State Department "Pressers", or from completely unbiased digital tomes like <laughs> Wikipedia. 
Filter a CFR policy paper through CNN, it gets edited to a few sound bites as the average MSM-consumer has the attention-span of a gnat, and what you get is quite simple:
"China Bad; US Good"  - if anyone says different?  They are a <add pejorative here>, e.g., 'a propagandist.'  :thumbsup:

Edited by connda
  • Love It 1

48 minutes ago, connda said:

Nativity tends to be the bastion of Western expats who strap the anchor of their government's own pro-colonialist propaganda around their waists, and then fail to take off the rose-tinted glasses to see the realities around them when they leave their own borders and reside elsewhere in the world.

China does not have 800 military bases world-wide in order to enforce Power Projection at the end of a gun for the enrichment of US-backed corporate and "stakeholder" interests.  The United States (and it's allies) on the contrary - Do. ????

Take the time to read books by Henry Kissinger and Zbigniew Brzezinski or at least read policy papers from the Council On Foreign Relations (CFR) (their magazine, Foreign Affairs, is less than $40/year) as US and Western foreign policy objectives are spelled out quite clearly for those who can read at a high school level. But most expats I know get their Geo-political viewpoints from 2 minute sound-bites on CNN or MSNBC or other MSM outlets, or short MSM filtered sound-bites from White House and State Department "Pressers", or from completely unbiased digital tomes like <laughs> Wikipedia. 
Filter a CFR policy paper through CNN, it gets edited to a few sound bites as the average MSM-consumer has the attention-span of a gnat, and what you get is quite simple:
"China Bad; US Good"  - if anyone says different?  They are a <add pejorative here>, e.g., 'a propagandist.'  :thumbsup:

So what has all that got to o with the reality of OBOR for countries who are finding China not to be the friend they pretended to be?

As for your projecting what is in you head outwards by boxing and labeling me as a MSM sound bite believer, you have no clue.

You come across as one of those bitter third rate academics the Chinese cultivate by pretending to "recognise" their work and inviting them to China for a dinner in their honour. What does it cost them, a cheap dinner and a few bottles of Moutai and the person becomes their bitch.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

You come across as one of those bitter third rate academics the Chinese cultivate by pretending to "recognise" their work and inviting them to China for a dinner in their honour. What does it cost them, a cheap dinner and a few bottles of Moutai and the person becomes their bitch.

Bitter, yes. But not always third rate. The Chinese have bought off quite a few highly credentialed Western faculty and their publication history. That boosts the rankings of Chinese universities. And when I say "bought off," that means they pay a lot for people with lengthy resumes. Some of those people are now on trial in the US for espionage. Then, there are always people who can supply Chinese academics with q1 quality papers for a price. I must admit, it is sometimes tempting to think of picking up $US50,000 to $75,000 rather than just put another entry on the CV.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 10:28 AM, spidermike007 said:

First of all I would like to congratulate you on suppressing the will of the people. The way you guys stole that election was crafty, and we at the CCP really admire you for that. That guy Pita was a pesky young one, and he wanted reform. You cannot allow that. One thing you will learn is that the will of the people is never important. It is the will of the government. We know best. They don't. So, now that you have learned lesson #1, you are well on your way. 

Lesson #2. Never wear your power lightly, or gracefully. As you can see, we do not. It is all about business interests. They must always come first. The people should always be a secondary consideration. Keep them happy enough so they do not revolt. That is all you have to understand about them. And do not allow them to protest or show their lack of fealty. That is not good either. And lastly, keep a tight leash on the press and social media. 

OK, now that we are done with that, would you prefer the 1982 Lafite Rothschild, or the 1959 Domaine de la Romanee-Conti?

You went so far but could've taken your very believable scenario to the next level... DOES China influence Thai elections with any kind of leverage?? Myself and a friend were thinking yes. What came to my mind was the former colony to Algeria who continued to pull the strings and said explicitly in the 1990s that a fundamental Muslim state bordering France would not be tolerated - and they were a former colony! If indeed China leverages election influence over Thailand wouldn't there be some awareness among critiques or exposé??

56 minutes ago, connda said:

who strap the anchor of their government's own pro-colonialist propaganda around their waists

China is practicing colonial expansion via it's economic colonialism.

57 minutes ago, connda said:

China does not have 800 military bases world-wide in order to enforce Power Projection at the end of a gun for the enrichment of US-backed corporate and "stakeholder" interests.  The United States (and it's allies) on the contrary - Do.

In fairness they are only just getting started so it will take a while to catch up, bases S China Seas islands, aircraft carrier sized wharves in Island nations, even Chinese troops in some African country if I remember rightly.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, soalbundy said:

This is just a normal diplomatic gesture that the local dominant political entity offers to a new leader in the neighbourhood, America does the same thing with European leaders. Srettha will probably want to know if the place is dry yet before he goes.

I think it's more "promise the world"....:whistling:

On 9/2/2023 at 3:57 AM, Gknrd said:

Ok, Xi. We got the westerners out whatelse can we do for you.. Don't think they are going to give us the fighter jets though. Sorry about that Xi. We will see what we can get out of the US next meeting.. We will try and get advanced chips for you and you can slide in under our trade deal with the US.. It is coming together Xi.. Won't be long before those dirty westerners will be under our thumb...  Pinky swear Xi.

Very well said

5 minutes ago, Arthur Mullard said:

You went so far but could've taken your very believable scenario to the next level... DOES China influence Thai elections with any kind of leverage?? Myself and a friend were thinking yes. What came to my mind was the former colony to Algeria who continued to pull the strings and said explicitly in the 1990s that a fundamental Muslim state bordering France would not be tolerated - and they were a former colony! If indeed China leverages election influence over Thailand wouldn't there be some awareness among critiques or exposé??

Where do you see exposes today? Where is the investigative journalism? Anywhere? Much less here?