Thai motorcycle production to exceed 2.1 million units amid tourism rebound

webfact

image.jpeg

The Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) is forecasting that motorcycle production this year will surpass the initial target of 2.1 million units. The revival of the tourism sector and the easing of the global semiconductor shortage are cited as the primary factors for this optimistic outlook.

Surapong Paisitpatanapong, the vice-chairman and spokesperson for the FTI’s Automotive Industry Club, attributes this increased demand to the reopening of borders and the resurgence of tourism, as many foreign tourists prefer motorcycle travel.

At the start of the year, the FTI had estimated the local motorcycle production for 2023 to be at 2.1 million units. The expectation was that 1.75 million units would cater to the domestic market, with the remaining 350,000 units directed towards exports.

However, the FTI’s report shows that Thailand’s motorcycle production capacity in July fell by 7.84% year-on-year to 194,773 units. Completely built-up (CBU) units saw an increase of 11.1% year on year, reaching 170,123 units. In contrast, completely knocked-down (CKD) units saw a significant decline, plummeting by 57.6% year on year to 24,650 units.

by Alex Morgan

Image by Oleg Magni from Pexels

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/thai-motorcycle-production-to-exceed-2-1-million-units-amid-tourism-rebound

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-02

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

I don't follow manufacturing operations in Thailand. I know there are a number of Japanese (and other countries) companies who manufacture cars in Thailand. Does anyone know (and will respond with the answer), which companies manufacture motorcycles in Thailand.   Thank You

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

How does "Thai motorcycle production to exceed 2.1 million units amid tourism rebound"  one affect the other?

will the tourists be building the motorcycles?

very unclear title

and i fail  to see  how...

Surapong Paisitpatanapong, the vice-chairman and spokesperson for the FTI’s Automotive Industry Club, attributes this increased demand to the reopening of borders and the resurgence of tourism, as many foreign tourists prefer motorcycle travel.

... this explains it

Well it does if they went to the TAT school of economics? More tourists equals more jobs for the locals for them to spend their hard earned cash in shiny new motorcycles. More tourists also equalling more demand on the hire firms for them to buy more shiny new motorcycles although I bet most of them are still holding onto their stock from pre-covid days?

However this is all reliant on your faith in the TAT school of economics to start with? ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I don't follow manufacturing operations in Thailand. I know there are a number of Japanese (and other countries) companies who manufacture cars in Thailand. Does anyone know (and will respond with the answer), which companies manufacture motorcycles in Thailand.   Thank You

Triumph motorcycles are assembled in Chonburi ...

Harley Davidsons are assembled in Chonburi too.  These are also exported to EU.  All models except CVOs which still come from the US to Thailand and EU.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Nowadays, there are 7 motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand with total capacity of production at 3 million units per year. They are Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph and Ducati. 

https://www.motorcyclesdata.com/2023/08/18/thailand-motorcycles/

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Nowadays, there are 7 motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand with total capacity of production at 3 million units per year. They are Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BMW, Triumph and Ducati. 

https://www.motorcyclesdata.com/2023/08/18/thailand-motorcycles/

Are these really manufacturing or just assembly plants? 

Harleys are not listed in the article but they've been assembled here since 2020 ....

30 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

Harleys are not listed in the article but they've been assembled here since 2020 ....

A lot /most Triumph parts are made in the UK then shipped here, and the bikes are assembled then exported, I would say it would be the same for most other manufactures. 

Could Thailand produce a modern-day engine for a big bike, I know you have CNC lathes to do most of the work, but someone still has to set them up, the steel still would still have to be imported. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

Triumph motorcycles are assembled in Chonburi ...

Harley Davidsons are assembled in Chonburi too.  These are also exported to EU.  All models except CVOs which still come from the US to Thailand and EU.

I think Royal Enfields are assembled in Chonburi.

8 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

As far as I know know there is some local content to satisfy tax and levy requirements but for the most part import components (Engine and Drivetrain USA, everything else China) and assemble.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

As far as I know know there is some local content to satisfy tax and levy requirements but for the most part import components (Engine and Drivetrain USA, everything else China) and assemble.

I think for Harleys 60% of parts are from China now.  These parts get shipped from China to US then to Thailand as assembly parts (probably why metric and Imperial bolts are used).    Sourcing was supposed to happen in SE Asia but hasn't happened yet.  Take HD tires ... would be better to get in Thailand since ones coming from US are so hard (old).