Living Close to Temple: What are the ADVANTAGES?

GammaGlobulin

7 hours ago, LaosLover said:

One fifth the price delivered -with free samples thrown in.  He brings over a vaporizer. It's like having a pot concierge.

Historically, I have used the sacred music (practically the first western music) of Hildegarde of Bingen to cover up loud sex in hotel rooms. Here's 9 hours of it by Sequentia in case you're having an orgy. What the Eyes Wide Shut soundtrack wanted to be:

Masked Ball in Eyes Wide Shut is awesome. 

37 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:
12 hours ago, circa02 said:

If you do something wrong, like kill someone drunk driving, you can check yourself in for a few weeks until it blows over whilst remaining close to home with your reputation intact, misses can bring you meals, better than prison.  Plus you get unlimited junk food every single day, basically a 7/11 delivered each morning, unfortunately usually the same crappy basket but hey, access to the best lottery tickets right in the car park, and more often than not drugs and booze too (not available at all temples, see terms and conditions) ... Just have to throw some water on people wishing to win the lottery and keep an eye on the donation box.  Not so keen on the 5am starts but maybe you can buy yourself out of that too..

37 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Didn't read the message but it looked terribly messy.

Post of the month.????????

Another 'quality poster' joins our ranks. (and my ignore user list)

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Love Chanting also ... with a good follow up riff ????

On topic ... advantage, no need for alarm clock

Never lived next to a Thai Temple but lived nearby to a Mosque for a couple of years. The wailing quickly followed by barking dogs every morning around 5.30am was my alarm clock at that time.

• Like 1

I don't go for this monotonous droning that monks produce. I much prefer the Gregorian chanting. (although I am not religious)

Here's another religious rendering that fascinates me. Bear with it. It's fascinating, even for the none religious like me.

The guy next door plays this chant singer about 12 hours a day. I can even sometimes pick out one stray tune from another thru the thin condo wall.

Sort of like Enya without a band. Oprah's favorite chanter, BTW:

Edited by LaosLover

Who here has done a good, long chant themselves? 

On any meditation retreat schedule I pray for the line: Chanting 8-9PM (optional). Chanting = tedium.

I dispute that the mere vibration of the words is doing me some good. Still, there's no top tier meditation teachers who haven't logged at least a couple of hundred hours of chant-time.

In Thailand, chanting is solely for merit or ancestor-honoring. They chant in Pali with a translation beneath it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

The guy next door plays this chant singer about 12 hours a day. I can even sometimes pick out one stray tune from another thru the thin condo wall.

Sort of like Enya without a band. Oprah's favorite chanter, BTW:

Your neighbour must be quite a melancholy guy to listen to it for 12 hours a day, lovely though it may be.

On a similar vein, Deva Premal is worth listening to. 

Enjoy.

Some Wats have markets.  Close to shopping.

Even if you don't live close to the wat lots of them put speakers a few kilometers away to make sure everyone knows something is going on at the wat.

I don't mind the chanting.  But when they are blaring music for festivals with overly distorted bass that rattles walls for kilometers around it gets really annoying.

Edited by rwill

On 9/2/2023 at 6:01 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

I LOVE Chanting.

Don't you?

Especially when the chanting is AMPLIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, what I REALLY Like is...,

GREAT CHANTING, and,

That is about the ONLY Kind of Chanting I really prefer.

What about you?

In addition to the chanting, what other advantages do you enjoy by living next to a 

TEMPLE!

I have been listening to Gregorian Chants for decades.

I can really get into the good stuff.

I just wish they could add a few more LOUDspeakers at my temple, because...

THAT is what's really needed around here.

Spacing out, and,

As Usual,

Gamma

This is an OLDIE but a GOODIE,

I guess.

Normally, I don't ever listen to the old stuff, but, for historical purposes, I found this interesting.

I live very close to a temple and I can say that the only advantage is that it isn't too far to cart me when it's my turn to be sent up the chimney. I can't hear the chanting, which I wouldn't mind listening to, it's the high-powered hi-fi blasting out bass-heavy pop music that drives me mad every time there's a wedding , or some youth turns up for monk duty. Not to mention the dozens of vicious dogs which inhabit the place, which bark all night and are very threatening if you attempt to walk to the village. A place of peace and serenity it is not.

On 9/2/2023 at 4:50 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

That strange symbol which you have obviously misplaced.. 

What do you call that? 

asperand 

strudel 

at sign 

Which, if any, of the above? 

Clinging ape.

Ape clip.

Edited by BusyB

2 hours ago, BusyB said:

Clinging ape.

Ape clip.

Ape clip is good. 

Apparently, there seems to be no single widely accepted name for this symbol. Most people use 'at sign' to designate it. But at sign is two words. 

Asperand is too easily confused with ampersand, and, with 3 syllables, too difficult to pronounce. 

We need to agree on one name having one syllable. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Ape clip is good. 

Apparently, there seems to be no single widely accepted name for this symbol. Most people use 'at sign' to designate it. But at sign is two words. 

Asperand is too easily confused with ampersand, and, with 3 syllables, too difficult to pronounce. 

We need to agree on one name having one syllable. 

Or a two syllable word: apeclip. Still catchy.