How do Thais stay slim?

FruitPudding

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Thais seem to be heathier than citizens of most other countries:

source of that opinion, via 'Health Score'

You would expect their life expectancy rank to be higher than 54th.........

https://www.worldometers.info/demographics/life-expectancy/

In Thailand, life expectancy at birth has improved by  6.44 years from 71.3 years in 2000 to 77.7 years in 2019.

Open full-screen mode

Worldwide, life expectancy at birth has improved by  6.52 years from 66.8 years in 2000 to 73.3 years in 2019.

A lot of them don't stay slim, I came here for the first time back in the 80s and it was rare to see any thai people that were overweight.

Back then though there was very few fast food outlets, now they're everywhere.

These days a lot of thai's have a craving for these sugar laden drinks that most coffee outlets sell.

• Thumbs Up 1

A person that stays slim is by genetics , diet, and exercise.  It doesn’t matter what country you are from. It depends how you take care of yourself. 
Of course being overweight can be due to health related issues also. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

You dont know her.. She absolutely does.. meal after meal all through the day.. Its noon and so far I have had a banana, shes had 3 meals.. 

No, food and kcal is not something magically.

45kg female means she can eat 1000-1200kcal per day without getting fat. If she eats one day 2000 and the next day 400, she doesn't get fat.

It's all very simple.

• Haha 1

They eat more often, but much less food then people in more affluent countries.

You need to look at what they are actually consuming, not just time sitting at a food stall.

The USA for example has large meals with large portions. In Thailand it’s just a bowl of soup or a side of rice or several dishes spread out but there’s not much food there.

If I ate here like I did in the USA I would need 2 or 3 dishes at each meal, not one.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, bob smith said:

thais are getting fatter by the day.

I know at least three women here who have hit the 70 kg level. But they don't seem to want or be able to lose weight. One of them is delusional, thinking she is desirable no matter the weight. 

47 minutes ago, Sqoop said:

I know at least three women here who have hit the 70 kg level. But they don't seem to want or be able to lose weight. One of them is delusional, thinking she is desirable no matter the weight. 

How do they lose weight taking a dumb motorbike everywhere. You need to be outside exercising to lose weight just like people anywhere would. In other words, walking places daily and not just sitting around.

Edited by JimTripper

it is simple...young thai girls with 300 usd sallary, plus they have to give part to their momma....they can eat only in the streets, and small portions....nothing magical....but look at the rich thai or women who cook food and sell at stalls, they are fat...it is about the affordability and budget

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

How do they lose weight taking a dumb motorbike everywhere. You need to be outside exercising to lose weight just like people anywhere would. In other words, walking places daily and not just sitting around.

There are slim ones who do little exercise, it's mostly about the food

9 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

No, food and kcal is not something magically.

45kg female means she can eat 1000-1200kcal per day without getting fat. If she eats one day 2000 and the next day 400, she doesn't get fat.

It's all very simple.

it really isnt with her tho.. She is well known among her and my friend circle as being this insanely hungry one all the time.. Its like this running joke.. She also gets insanely hangry minutes after becoming hungry, like as soon as she is hungry, you have a 20 minute window to get food in her before her mood goes mental. 

Yesterday I eat a banana in the morning, nothing else bar espresso's until +-3pm then a penang moo.. about 6 7pm a few spoons of natural yoghurt (not a bowl or 'portion') and that was the full days food intake.. And not an unusual day.. I almost never have breakfast and often 1 meal a day or a lunch and plate of fruit afternoon.. I am a 110kg on a good day (but 193cm) My wife woke up at 10:30 pm to go make herself an omelet on rice, actually woke up in the night to go cook khai jeow.. She will have eaten at a minimum 5 times in the day something as large as my penang moo days main meal. Shes already had one full cooked meal and its dawn. Rail thin, 45 kgs in her 40s, eats continuously through the day, a meal every other hour. 

9 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

It's just simple numbers - I really wonder what's so hard to understand. Or could it be some people lack math understanding and think about some magic happens?

Its also metabolism.. 

By your logic 1500 cal will always be slimmer than someone who consumes 1800 cal and an amphetamine pill every day.. I mean its just calories in right ?? 

31 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

it really isnt with her tho.. She is well known among her and my friend circle as being this insanely hungry one all the time.. Its like this running joke.. She also gets insanely hangry minutes after becoming hungry, like as soon as she is hungry, you have a 20 minute window to get food in her before her mood goes mental. 

Yesterday I eat a banana in the morning, nothing else bar espresso's until +-3pm then a penang moo.. about 6 7pm a few spoons of natural yoghurt (not a bowl or 'portion') and that was the full days food intake.. And not an unusual day.. I almost never have breakfast and often 1 meal a day or a lunch and plate of fruit afternoon.. I am a 110kg on a good day (but 193cm) My wife woke up at 10:30 pm to go make herself an omelet on rice, actually woke up in the night to go cook khai jeow.. She will have eaten at a minimum 5 times in the day something as large as my penang moo days main meal. Shes already had one full cooked meal and its dawn. Rail thin, 45 kgs in her 40s, eats continuously through the day, a meal every other hour. 

Cool story, bro. Everybody knows this girl and everybody uses this joke, but the reality is, she has not this insane metabolism that burns 2000kcal more than you. It's just not happening. Not even close. Her kcal range for 45kg with no muscles and "gardening" and home work is around 1200-1500 kcal per day. If she eats more than that over a couple of weeks, she will gain. It's really that simple.

• Thanks 1

We're not in an obesity epidemic anymore, it's advanced to an OBESITY APOCALYPSE, affecting almost the entire globe. I left S, Korea back in 2010 they were still thin. Now? almost everybody is overweight/obese/morbidly obese. 

Here in Thailand they are becoming massive. I count 5 out of every 10 females are now overweight/obese/morbidly obese. It's a complete nightmare but this is the world we created. 

11 hours ago, Cardinalblue1958 said:

Thailand has a high prevalence rate for diabetes 

Yes they have, oddly some diabetic are like bean poles, I visit my Hospital diabetic department every 3 months, 50% of diabetic there are small or under weight..

3 friends [ladies] that are old 60 - 75 are on insulin 2 x day are short and painfully skinny..  the house next door the Father is 83 and 6 house up the Village the Father is 91 both on Insulin and skinny,   There is only 63 houses in the Village, yet 50% are Diabetic mixed ages and weight..  Often it appears the Father + Son + Grand children are all diabetic

7 hours ago, JimTripper said:

They eat more often, but much less food then people in more affluent countries.

You need to look at what they are actually consuming, not just time sitting at a food stall.

The USA for example has large meals with large portions. In Thailand it’s just a bowl of soup or a side of rice or several dishes spread out but there’s not much food there.

If I ate here like I did in the USA I would need 2 or 3 dishes at each meal, not one.

Yeah I dont think any sane people are talking about American portions.. 

But again, my wife portion consumption is still way higher than mine, per sitting, and I have 1 or 2 sittings she is 5 - 7.. and still is less than half my weight..