Passenger stumbles upon dead Australian at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok

webfact

9 hours ago, 2long said:

What's a typical Australian surname?

Any colonial names are not truly Aussie, and immigration has been happening for centuries.

Do they ALWAYS get it wrong? If so, then maybe he's a she and she's not even dead.

My Son has a very typical Thai first name (chua) and a very obviously western family name, as does his wife (since they married) and their 4 kids.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Goat said:

germananic surname.

most likely an Austrian, not Australian. 

They always get it wrong.

When have you been to Germany last time? I guess you never were, 

top German player in tennis 

Alexander Zverev / Place of birth
20 Apr 1997

Alexander Zverev becomes seventh German male tennis player to reach ...

Edited by still kicking

It is not unusual to see people lying on their back in the departure terminal. Seen many times.

I think It's called sleeping? Some of them have long transit times between flights, or other delays.

But to be layed out in the arrival hall for three hours where normally passengers head directly for immigration and customs processing  is strange. Sure they will checking surveillance video and examining his flight details.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what?  That doesn't nullify his nationality.

He is an Australian national probably of German or Austrian ETHNICITY. Not a German national. There can be many ethnic groups within one nation

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So what?  That doesn't nullify his nationality.

He is Australian nationality probably of Austrian or German ETHNICITY (or origin) there is a big difference. Ethnicity is a sub group of nationality  and all nations throughout the world are composed of many ethnicities . There may be Australian ethnic groups in Germany or Austria but that doesn't make the Australian nationals

43 minutes ago, RobU said:

He is Australian nationality probably of Austrian or German ETHNICITY (or origin) there is a big difference. Ethnicity is a sub group of nationality  and all nations throughout the world are composed of many ethnicities . There may be Australian ethnic groups in Germany or Austria but that doesn't make the Australian nationals

Various reports are now stating he was of Austrian nationality.

82-year-old Austrian tourist found dead at the airport on first day of his holiday in Thailand

It is understood that the passenger, identified as Dr Gerald Wohlmuth, was an 82-year-old Austrian citizen from Korneuburg in Lower Austria, near Vienna.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

They don't always get it wrong, but they do so with remarkable frequency. I've read at least four stories in the last few months where they've made this mistake.

That doesn't mean they got it wrong this time but based on past performance, I'd say there's a reasonable chance of it.

I never make mistakes , I thought I did once but i was wrong.

23 hours ago, 2long said:

What's a typical Australian surname?

Any colonial names are not truly Aussie, and immigration has been happening for centuries.

Do they ALWAYS get it wrong? If so, then maybe he's a she and she's not even dead.

Whatever mate. The Goat doesnt like to Gloat, but I was right as always.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They had his passport and they reported the death to the Australian embassy...most likely he was Australian.   You always get it wrong.

Nah, I ALWAYS get it right, you are always wrong and wrong again this time as usual. 

If there is anything else you are not sure about feel free to ask the Goat.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

Actually you are the one that always gets it wrong.

A rubbish post from you as usual.

Nah, the Goat was on the money as usual. You are very gullible beieving everything you read on the internet.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Reality is that way too many folks can't think past everything fitting into neat boxes (all cultures / societies).

I taught a 'Think Outside the BOX' course in an MBA program at 2 Thai prestigious unis.

Well if you had "thought out of the box" as you preach you would have seen that the whole story came from one Thai man who cant read English. 

Maybe he was one of your students?

Thai "prestigious" unis??? Expensive maybe. If it was prestigious then why were you teaching there. 

Think outside the neat little box mate.

If there is anything else you are not sure about feel free to ask the Goat. 

• Love It 1

When the Grim reaper comes calling it does not matter where you are. It was his time. 

30s is too soon. Dying in your 30's is tragic. As is the 40s. 

Sympathy dissapates from there. 50s is such a shame. 
60s is too soon 
70s a good run 
80s a life well lived
90s - a hell of a ride

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RobU said:

He is Australian nationality probably of Austrian or German ETHNICITY (or origin) there is a big difference.

No. He is Austrian from Vienna.

Never even set foot in Australia in all his 82 years.

• Love It 1

9 hours ago, still kicking said:

Austrian Australians are Australian citizens of Austrian national origin or ancestry, or permanent residents of Australia who have migrated from Austria. According to the 2011 Australian Census, there were 17,010 people born in Austria and 42,341 people of Austrian ancestry living in Australia 1. The majority of Austrian Australians live in New South Wales, Queensland, and Victoria 1.

And this Austrian lived in Vienna and had never set foot in Australia.

You were conned.

• Love It 1