Thailand banks have the worst interest rates

1 hour ago, Baht Simpson said:

I'm much more concerned about where the exchange rate is, as that's where you can really lose out.

I would rather deal with lower exchange rates than 0% interest the banks were paying 2-3 years ago. Now I gat over $1000 a month instead of zero  AND the exchange rates are higher due to interest rates being higher.

5 hours ago, khunjake said:

Sure deposits rates here are total crap but when you need to make a large cash withdrawal, there’s never an issue. Try doing that at a UK or US bank and they flag your ass with a “suspicious activity report”.

Yea.... here they just scan ur face

Normally money flows to higher interest rate country (western) except Switzerland is an exception.  Thailand is not Switzerland.  Baht is very heavily manipulated as are the interest rates.  And yes interest rates here are pathetic.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Krungsri still 0.9% which is Pitiful, in UK Santander now has an instant access 5.2% account, why would anyone leave surplus cash in Thailand

weird as it is only for UK residents, nothing for other countries in Europe...

my money is trapped here because I did not know FET was needed 10+ years ago...

my stupid banks decline for me to buy stock or even a saving account bulllll 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Krungsri still 0.9% which is Pitiful, in UK Santander now has an instant access 5.2% account, why would anyone leave surplus cash in Thailand

Reading the small print on this, "after 12 months the account 'matures' and your money's transferred to an account with a much lower interest rate".  So not all that Golden. 

Major UK banks offer up to 1%.  Huge difference there!!

PH

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

Because they understand exchange rates change.

The GBP interest rate may be higher, but that suggests that the value of Sterling is likely to fall relative to the baht.  You may get a few more coins in interest in Sterling, but against the baht you'll probably lose capital value.

Keeping surplus cash in baht also means that (assuming future expenditure is going to be in baht), there is no exchange rate risk.  And given that exchange rates frequently swing by 30% in a year, one's avoiding the risk of losing a substantial part of one's wealth.

Of course, if it's only interest rate you care about, why not invest in Zimbabwe with a deposit interest rate of 110%, or Argentina at 74%? Makes Santander's 5.2% seem pathetic.

Well said. 

PH

18 hours ago, bob smith said:

best thing to do here to avoid overpaying on a loan is to beat the bank.

Take out a loan on a house for 30/40 years for example and pay it off in 10. Then then banks dont get their hand in your pocket as much.

doing that will backfire on you. A friend did exactly that, and when he and his wife went for a loan a couple of years later the bank wouldn't approve the loan. When asked why, they were told they had a bad credit rating because they paid their previous loan off early.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

doing that will backfire on you. A friend did exactly that, and when he and his wife went for a loan a couple of years later the bank wouldn't approve the loan. When asked why, they were told they had a bad credit rating because they paid their previous loan off early.

How ironic. Good credit lead to a bad rating.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

When asked why, they were told they had a bad credit rating because they paid their previous loan off early.

absolute rubbish!

paying your home loan off early does not incur bad credit.

sounds like an excuse the bank made, maybe because they didn't like your friend.

either that or you are getting mixed up with mortgages and personal iphone loans..

Edited by bob smith

21 hours ago, bob smith said:

There is a systemic attitude in Thailand that the banks arent there to 'help' people but that they are a business, and like any other business they love to make as much money as possible. Banks seem to think that people should be grateful that they are allowed to keep their money in their vaults in exchange for snazzy apps and promptpay. There is an air of arrogance and passive aggressiveness in most Thai banks, which I have personally been on the receiving end of.

People seem to forget that without the publics money banks wouldn't exist in the first place.

Just look at their low interest rates, yearly card fees, ridiculous APR levels etc.

Banks should be there as a convenience to the general public, not just as a money making enterprise. In turn for our cash they should give a decent ROI in terms of interest rates and other attractive benefits. Add to all that the cultural aspect that Thais don't like to rock the boat too much and it's a win win for the banks all day long.

You are correct and there is a domestic banking monopoly in Thailand. Only one foreign bank have a retail banking license in Thailand and that is UOB.

Banks in Thailand all agree to a huge deposit to out loan spread, even UOB.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

The GBP interest rate may be higher, but that suggests that the value of Sterling is likely to fall relative to the baht.  You may get a few more coins in interest in Sterling, but against the baht you'll probably lose capital value.

Strange that your post get liked, but when I yesterday said exactly the same, with much fewer words, I attract only confused emoji's.

• Haha 1