A stark reminder of Thai "hospitality"

mike111

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Most everyone buys things on impulse, or thinking they need them. It's not a bother to staff to return things. It's their job, and most everywhere has a return policy, including 7-11's. I've personally seen at least three occasions where people returned items, and they were all Thai's. Not about hospitality but common sense and not being prejudiced.

By law they dont have to

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

That used to be the case but I wonder for how much longer US stores can follow a policy like that.  My brother-in-law manages a drug store in the US.  The local police have told him to not call for thefts under $150--they will not respond or investigate.   People stealing less than $150 worth of merchandise and then returning the next day, without a receipt, and expecting a full refund--how long can a store tolerate that and remain in business?  I might add that his store is in one of the wealthiest counties in the US--Fairfax County, Virginia, a suburb of DC.

Even in the face of the 'woke' mentality in the US, several CEOs of major retailers, including Home Depot, have felt the pressing need to speak out and let the public know what has become an increasingly major problem for them--stealing by their customers.  Wal-Mart has left some markets altogether, unable to make a profit, largely due to this problem.  Walgreens has had to redesign some of its stores in some locations to put almost all the merchandise out of reach of the customers--I imagine there will be more of this in the future for some retailers in the US.

I was there 62 years, and know full well the advantages people take on retailers. happens worldwide also. Wal Mart used to do it all the time, but recently started taking not only the ID, but give a reduction of the posted price, just for this reason. The worse times get, the more this will happen. I worked for Home Depot, and people used to put things on carts and just walk out, and you couldn't stop them outside the store. Only call police and give them the tag numbers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I doubt that you will be missed.

THIS is reality  -  Thai style. Surely you knew that when you came to these shores?

How could you doubt anything about anyone you don't know? Yes, I knew about Thai and it's ways, but came here to take care of my now ex wife and my daughter. Going back home to the US as soon as possible is because of seeing it more firsthand. It's not a good place for little, or for that matter, big girls. Thailand tries to learn from other countries for decades, and adopts some of their ways, but prejudice handed down from generations has slowed this progress. There's a reason thousands of locals have moved out and never came back. And it's not only because of money.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I am as soon as I can, trust me. The longer you stay here, besides the brown nosers, the more you understand the mentality of what goes on, and the more you miss what reality is.

I appreciate your honesty. Why are you here? Is it because it’s cheaper?