A stark reminder of Thai "hospitality"

mike111

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

Very true, but as the OP said, it is the attitude of some assistants that is questionable. Many times I have gone into some store and asked for something or some service and the staff member starts waving his/her arms about shouting No! No! when all that's required is a "sorry we don't have any" or whatever.

I totally agree .....   many Thai 7-11 cashiers, sales staff and shop keepers come across as arrogant, verbally abusive, uneducated and down right rude,  they haven't a clue on how to act when asked a simple question,   ain't that the truth.

I did say many,  but not all ....  some have a pleasant manner and will assist if asked a question.

Edited by steven100
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I totally agree .....   many Thai 7-11 cashiers, sales staff and shop keepers come across as arrogant, verbally abusive, uneducated and down right rude,  they haven't a clue on how to act when asked a simple question,   ain't that the truth.

You can always go back to your country for stellar 711 and petrol station services.

Those kids prolly make b70 hr in BKK. Yet, you moan

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Don't leave it there .

What "simple" question did you ask the 7/11 staff (that they didn't have a clue how to react) ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do you have any idea how your comments highlight that it is you who is the source of any such problem you face.

7-11 staff arrogant, verbally abusive, uneducated and downright rude with no clue how to act when asked a simple question ??? REALLY ????   

OF course you are asking in perfect Thai right... because you are not arrogant, uneducated and downright rude enough to ask in English and expect a perfect response, correct ???

oh dear Richard ....    lol

I did say some 7-11 staff,  not all   !!

and yes,    I believe it's a lack of communication both ways,  they don't understand English & my Thai is limited.

I did not say all were arrogant,  as some are educated and know how to act when asked a question and then some don't,  sometimes they'll just walk away, or waves the hands without an answer or whatever .... haha ......   maybe that's what they were told to do. 

Some are quite pleasant to deal with .....  not all.

21 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

How about selecting REALLY safe state?

"Eight people were killed at the hands of a mass shooter at a Dallas-area mall on Saturday, making Texas second, after California, for the state with the most mass shootings this year, with a total of 17."

Lived there 32 years, sold guns, hunted, dealt with thousands of gun owners, never saw any gun violence. Of course it happens, and makes news, as does it here, but most of it here isn't shown. New about guns explodes in the US because of these mentally unstable individuals that get their hands on guns and take out their anger on the innocents. It's big news because of the extremists on both sides. Lived in New Jersey, next to NYC, for 30 years, and same story.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

All depends on the store. It's not a law.

I'm pretty sure Thai 7/11 has some formal policy somewhere on the return of purchased items (but I'm not presuming what it says one way or the other).

Now, whether the OP and others can find a version of that policy in English language is a different matter.

But as an example, when we purchase items for home delivery via Tops Online, the paperwork indicates we have up to 7 days to return the purchased items if not satisfied for any reason.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

oh dear Richard ....    lol

I did say some 7-11 staff,  not all   !!

and yes,    I believe it's a lack of communication both ways,  they don't understand English & my Thai is limited.

I did not say all were arrogant,  as some are educated and know how to act when asked a question and then some don't,  sometimes they'll just walk away, or waves the hands without an answer or whatever .... haha ......   maybe that's what they were told to do. 

Some are quite pleasant to deal with .....  not all.

What questions do you need to ask 7/11 staff ?

• Confused 1

Returning stuff is often a headache even for Thai people. I recall last year my wife asked me to get her a 'wholesale size' box of the earwig brand cough-drops from the big 7/11 on Jomtien Beach Rd for her to take back to UK. I think a box holds about 30 packets. It wasn't cheap (I think about ฿400).

When I got back to our condo she spotted that it was past the marked 'use by' date.  I still had the receipt so went back to the 7/11.  I speak adequate Thai and politely explained the situation. I also pointed out that the other boxes on the shelves were also expired.  The response was basically, 'You chose to buy it. Bad luck'.  No refund.

My wife went down later in the day with a similar outcome. The out of date boxes were still on the shelf....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

any general question,  will this item be coming again this week, what does this discount poster mean, is it 2 for 1 deal,  how much is this cost,  can you make microwave that a bit longer please (now that request is not easy)    Lol    .....  look most times they are quite good and accommodating,  just the odd time it won't happen that way.

you get my drift Nick.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I know that was aimed at steven100.

I asked for batteries...  the girl at the 7-11 counter had no idea what I was talking of. 

I asked again and still received the 100 yard stare, the girl at the counter was a like a rabbit in the headlights. 

I asked a different member of staff who pointed out the batteries. 

First staff member was probably frightened by foreigners and just froze, then panicked and didn't realise I was speaking Thai (eyes couldn't believe the ears - which happens sometimes). 

No issues, but sometimes there needs to be interaction which is fine - but there is no need to be 'demanding' of the staff when things don't go our way.

Edited by richard_smith237

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

any general question,  will this item be coming again this week, what does this discount poster mean, is it 2 for 1 deal,  how much is this cost,  can you make microwave that a bit longer please (now that request is not easy)    Lol    .....  look most times they are quite good and accommodating,  just the odd time it won't happen that way.

you get my drift Nick.

Use a language app

Problem solved

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I asked for batteries...  the girl at the 7-11 counter had no idea what I was talking of. 

I asked again and still received the 100 yard stare, the girl at the counter was a like a rabbit in the headlights. 

First staff member was probably frightened by foreigners and just froze, then panicked and didn't realise I was speaking Thai (eyes couldn't believe the ears - which happens sometimes). 

No issues, but sometimes there needs to be interaction which is fine - but there is no need to be 'demanding' of the staff when things don't go your way.

Some young new workers dont know

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No issues, but sometimes there needs to be interaction which is fine - but there is no need to be 'demanding' of the staff when things don't go our way.

Where the batteries by the till ?

Where the batteries next to the condoms in front and to the left hand side of the till, near the door way entrance ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another foreigner coming into the store and expecting to be understood

yes .... the nerve of some falang is beyond belief Richard,  fancy expecting an employee in a 7-11 shop to understand a scrap of English.      Lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1