April International - some premium increase analysis

topt

Age 65 2021....................2136$ with 500$ deductible

66 2022...................2651$with 500$ deductible

67 2023               3131$with 1000$ deductible...paid 2944$

My policy states we will not cover "Any impairment of your Eyes"....Because i take Xalatan for the prevention of Glaucoma.

I did make a claim in March this year (detached Retina) as suggested by the nice man who answered the phone at April in France (a Skype call) "who said any impairment does n,t me exactly that and you should claim".. i did claim and was refused as per there policy wording lol.

Currently claim is with "La Mediation de L,assurance"...6...months and counting.

Hope this might help topt?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Hope this might help topt?

Thanks Keith. I have a similar exclusion but it should not affect the premium.

Presuming you have the Basic policy the same as mine then premiums are very different. In December 2021 at age 62 I paid 2,297.39 - which supposedly should be in same age bracket as your age 65 2021 premium at which time you paid less.......

The increase from 65 to 66 seems 'reasonable' as changing bands and the 2023 price is significantly less than the price I was quoted which gives me some hope that was perhaps an error on their part.

PS. The 3131 quote was I presume with $500 deductible or you negotiated a further discount?

You are doing bloomin well if those are annual payments.

My April premium for 2022 was $4,108 for six months. I was 71 and have made two claims in 12 years. Prostate biopsy - no cancer and draining a lung after an infection. Both pre 2017.

My policy for this year is $6,202 for six months aged 72.

The policy is in patient only - no International repatriation (which they cancelled last year).

I am not sure, but I think that it was an extra $50 (or $25) per payment for instalments.

18 hours ago, topt said:

My attempted dealing's with April International have really highlighted for me the value that the then agent was able to provide especially in getting fairly basic information qualified.

My dealings with April direct have been abysmal failures.

They send the bill out in December, for Jan 1 payment, by snail post. Since Covid decimated Samui, we have zero post in the area where I live. No postman.

I have to send emails asking for the amount to be paid. (They send emails reminding me that I have not paid it!)

Now, all claims have to be by the 'easy claim' app. They have stopped supporting the online web portal for claims.

As I used to work in the software development business for more than 30 years, I do not trust these micky mouse apps on phones. I do not even have wifi on my phone.

I wrote to April in July asking for an alternative claim media as opposed to apps. They replied last week. Guess what - snail post again.

Too old to change now with a couple of new pre-existing conditions.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Sad 2

PS. The 3131 quote was I presume with $500 deductible or you negotiated a further discount?

I increased the deductible to $1000 to get that lower premium,a neg liable discount i know but i figured with a certain percentage increase next year i might be doing myself a favour as the increase would be slightly less?

I will also be watching the £ to $ exchange rate and topping up the Dollar account in Wise to help with future premium payments.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The policy is in patient only - no International repatriation (which they cancelled last year).

From memory April Int My Health International has 5 different levels of cover from Emergency, then Basic and up to Premium. I have Basic (and I think @keithsimmonds has as well) but sounds like you have a higher level and hence would expect a higher cost. If not then you really are paying a lot........

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You guys who are persevering with April even though their customer service is poor, why do you think their claim procedure will be any better? usually with insurance companies customer service is good, claims is very slow, doesn't bode well

When I have made a claim with April - it was paid PDQ. Not that I have made many, but always money straight into the bank.

My problem now is that they only accept claims via a phone app.

Changing insurance companies is not really an option. At 72 and with (now) pre-existing illnesses, I doubt if any insurance company would accept me onto their books.

For me, it is April or self insure.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, Tropicalevo said:

My policy for this year is $6,202 for six months aged 72.

Wow! That is serious money now at $12,404 a year.

Pretty amazing considering your only two small claims in 12 years.

Good Luck I am starting to think if possible you need a new company or self insure (if possible)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 6:11 PM, keithsimmonds said:

And your competitive affordable Insurance company with great customer service and great claims procedure is....?

WRLIfe are certainly competitive and affordable, and for me anyway, their customer service had been great. Their claims procedure is possibly not so clear, although according to my broker, it is no worse than other companies he deals with.

10 hours ago, mania said:

Wow! That is serious money now at $12,404 a year.

Pretty amazing considering your only two small claims in 12 years.

Good Luck I am starting to think if possible you need a new company or self insure (if possible)

Too late to change companies.

Too many issues have 'popped up' in the last 7 years.

Lost half a lung to a lung infection - now have COPD.

Very large prostate - need a TUER-P procedure to remove it.

Chronic kidney disease and so on.

All just appeared fairly recently in life.

I self insure for out patient. Let's see what happens on Jan 1 when the next premium is due.

At current premium rates I feel that April just want to get rid of me.

23 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Too late to change companies.

Too many issues have 'popped up' in the last 7 years.

Lost half a lung to a lung infection - now have COPD.

Very large prostate - need a TUER-P procedure to remove it.

Chronic kidney disease and so on.

All just appeared fairly recently in life.

I self insure for out patient. Let's see what happens on Jan 1 when the next premium is due.

At current premium rates I feel that April just want to get rid of me.

I am your age and my April policy is about 1/3 what you say you pay.

Which policy do you have? With what (if any) deductible?

I have the Essential plan with $500 deductible.  Annual premium $4,073 this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

WRLIfe are certainly competitive and affordable, and for me anyway, their customer service had been great. Their claims procedure is possibly not so clear, although according to my broker, it is no worse than other companies he deals with.

Your broker IS WRLife so that is a pretty funny statement.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am your age and my April policy is about 1/3 what you say you pay.

Which policy do you have? With what (if any) deductible?

I have the Essential plan with $500 deductible.  Annual premium $4,073 this year.

Hi Sheryl - I too have Essential. Changed from Basic back in 2018 when they moved me onto the Thai side of the business. I had been on Basic since 2011 ($1,491  per year.)

No deductible. Just a couple of small extra charges to the basic premium. See below

In 2018, Basic and Essential costs were similar. 2018 also included repatriation which was stopped in 2019.

In 2019 $600 increase

In 2020 $800 increase

In 2021 $600 increase

In 2022 $1,500 increase

Then this year $4,000 increase. My last claim was the lung infection in 2019.

One small factor aside - April send all notifications/updates etc etc to me via standard post.

Where I live, we have had no post since January this year. Staff shortages.

There may be an explanatory document sitting in a huge pile of undelivered post in the local post office. ????

1436888553_April2023q.jpg.2d6ae638edff9ddc6103e8f8dfdfa705.jpg

22 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Hi Sheryl - I too have Essential. Changed from Basic back in 2018 when they moved me onto the Thai side of the business. I had been on Basic since 2011 ($1,491  per year.)

No deductible. Just a couple of small extra charges to the basic premium. See below

In 2018, Basic and Essential costs were similar. 2018 also included repatriation which was stopped in 2019.

In 2019 $600 increase

In 2020 $800 increase

In 2021 $600 increase

In 2022 $1,500 increase

Then this year $4,000 increase. My last claim was the lung infection in 2019.

One small factor aside - April send all notifications/updates etc etc to me via standard post.

Where I live, we have had no post since January this year. Staff shortages.

There may be an explanatory document sitting in a huge pile of undelivered post in the local post office. ????

1436888553_April2023q.jpg.2d6ae638edff9ddc6103e8f8dfdfa705.jpg

Something is wrong with your premium this year, you should contact them to find out what happened. I have never heard of a $4,000 increase at a time and suspect some sort of error.

You might also wish to consider taking at least a $500 excess. When I calculated it, it paid for itself if you averaged 1 claim in 2 years or less.

There is an online customer portal where all relevant documents get posted, no need to rely on snail mail.

https://extranet.april-international.com/members/private/accueil.jsf

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Something is wrong with your premium this year, you should contact them to find out what happened. I have never heard of a $4,000 increase at a time and suspect some sort of error.

You might also wish to consider taking at least a $500 excess. When I calculated it, it paid for itself if you averaged 1 claim in 2 years or less.

There is an online customer portal where all relevant documents get posted, no need to rely on snail mail.

https://extranet.april-international.com/members/private/accueil.jsf

yes the same online portal that never acknowledged receipt of my query (twice) and took over 2 weeks to reply........

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

yes the same online portal that never acknowledged receipt of my query (twice) and took over 2 weeks to reply........

The online portal it is not really designed for that.

It is a platform for  your bills, premium payments and policy documents.

If you need to contact them with a question, phone is best, or else email [email protected]

That said, I never had to do it as until recently had an excellent broker who handled all communications for me. Now  looking for a new one. This thread reminds me I should ramp up that effort.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/30/2023 at 6:13 PM, Sheryl said:

If you need to contact them with a question, phone is best, or else email [email protected]

That said, I never had to do it as until recently had an excellent broker who handled all communications for me. Now  looking for a new one. This thread reminds me I should ramp up that effort.

re the above: I am now in the process of transferring my account to this broker https://www.aoc-insurancebroker.com/

Based in France but (at least so far) easy to communicate with via WhatsApp and email. They specialize in expat policies and have an ongoing contractual relationship with April (as well as other providers).

The person I have been dealing with is [email protected]

I can't hope to get the level of service I previously had with H+Jenny at AA but I am hopeful to get ate least annual reminders of premiums and help with claims as needed. Will be (hopefully) a while before I can report on the latter though.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 3:45 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Hi Sheryl - I too have Essential. Changed from Basic back in 2018 when they moved me onto the Thai side of the business.

What do you mean by moved you onto the Thai side of the business? As this sounds like you may have switched from April France ot April Thailand - an altogether different policy and company. Though the invoice you showed (from 2018) was from April France.

??????

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

re the above: I am now in the process of transferring my account to this broker https://www.aoc-insurancebroker.com/

Based in France but (at least so far) easy to communicate with via WhatsApp and email. They specialize in expat policies and have an ongoing contractual relationship with April (as well as other providers).

The person I have been dealing with is [email protected]

I can't hope to get the level of service I previously had with H+Jenny at AA but I am hopeful to get ate least annual reminders of premiums and help with claims as needed. Will be (hopefully) a while before I can report on the latter though.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you moving your account to a new broker? Did something happen so that AA is no longer working as a broker for April policies, if so I haven't heard anything about that yet?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What do you mean by moved you onto the Thai side of the business? As this sounds like you may have switched from April France ot April Thailand - an altogether different policy and company. Though the invoice you showed (from 2018) was from April France.

??????

Sorry Sheryl, I cannot answer that one quickly. It is all paperwork trails but all of my documents still state April International with all of the French contacts and that is who I transfer money to via their bank in Lyon when I use an International Bank transfer.

I am currently trying to make a claim for a colonoscopy/haemorrhoid removal and they tell me to send my claim to an address in Bangkok.

I was originally on an 'Asia Expat policy' but in 2018 they moved me onto an 'Asia Health Plan policy'. I was led to believe that it was the same company but a cheaper policy eg no repatriation and so on. Just supposedly easier to have 'local' contacts. The bits in bold are the headings on the invoices.

Apart from that policy name change at the top of the invoice, and the policy number, all documents are exactly the same.

1 hour ago, Sophon said:

If you don't mind me asking, why are you moving your account to a new broker? Did something happen so that AA is no longer working as a broker for April policies, if so I haven't heard anything about that yet?

You have missed previous posts on this subject. Thailand based agents are apparently not allowed to sell International based policies........

AA Insurance was bought by the Alliance Insurance group late last year or earlier this year and they have opened a new broker called AA World based in India to handle International policies. AA Insurance in Thailand can now only offer Thailand based insurance.

The Alliance group also sell their own policies under the Regency brand so of course AA World tried to push those on me..........

And no I didn't receive any notification of this change either and only found out when I queried something with the AA Insurance agent I had been dealing with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I am now in the process of transferring my account to this broke

Can I ask Sheryl how you found them or what sold you on them particularly compared to anybody else?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sophon said:

AA no longer handles international policies. They handle April Thailand but not April France. Unfortunately.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, topt said:

Can I ask Sheryl how you found them or what sold you on them particularly compared to anybody else?

Having failed on thsi forum to get any firsthand recommendations, I did a web search for brokers located in France, figuring they would be best placed to deal with April.

Among the top ones listed, only AOC seemed to specialize in  expat policies, the others were focused on French nationals and foreigners IN France.

I then contacted AOC and asked them if they were able to handle April policies and received a prompt reply as follows:

"Yes, we can manage your international policy with April, whom we represent in France along with more than 30 other providers.
We have dedicated contacts at April International, so it will be easier for you with our support."

The reply came very quickly, even on a weekend,  and they provided clear instructions on how to make the change, as well as a WhatsApp contact number to a specific person.

SO, so far so good, but of course I will not really know until I need their help. 

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, topt said:

You have missed previous posts on this subject. Thailand based agents are apparently not allowed to sell International based policies........

AA Insurance was bought by the Alliance Insurance group late last year or earlier this year and they have opened a new broker called AA World based in India to handle International policies. AA Insurance in Thailand can now only offer Thailand based insurance.

The Alliance group also sell their own policies under the Regency brand so of course AA World tried to push those on me..........

And no I didn't receive any notification of this change either and only found out when I queried something with the AA Insurance agent I had been dealing with.

My agent at AA, Jenny, did notify me by email. But Jenny always did go above and beyond. (She has left AA).

Regarding this AA World:

- their website is still not operational, many months after the supposed shift of international policies from AA to them.

- they failed to notify me when my annual premium was due (luckily I remembered on my own)

Hence I looked for alternative. It is not wise to be without a broker and an unknown new entity in India that can't even get their website up and running or track premium due dates won't do.

• Thanks 1