Apply for Retirement Visa on UK Tier-2 Work Visa

Hello all.

I was wondering if any board members know if I will be able to apply for an O retirement visa from the UK? I am an Australian citizen but living and working in the UK on a Tier-2 General work visa (https://www.gov.uk/skilled-worker-visa) This visa will allow me to apply for permanent residence after 5 years. I am currently 3 years into the visa. I have decided that it is time to retire, hence the question on this forum.

Since proof of permanent residence is required as part of the online application process, I am not sure if my Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) will suffice. The BRP shows that my visa is valid until Sept 2025, after which I can apply for permanent residence.

Thank you in advance for any responses that you may provide.

5 hours ago, Rajmusa789 said:

This visa will allow me to apply for permanent residence after 5 years. I am currently 3 years into the visa.

5 hours ago, Rajmusa789 said:

Since proof of permanent residence is required as part of the online application process,

Have you not answered your own question?

Way easier to apply when you get to Thailand. Less requirements like residency, insurance and police record. Simply arrive on a 30 day stay or tourist visa then apply.

Edited by Peterw42

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Way easier to apply when you get to Thailand. Less requirements like residency, insurance and police record. Simply arrive on a 30 day stay or tourist visa then apply.

Provided that he already has a Thai bank account with at least 800,000 THB safely stashed in it. In connection with the 65,000 THB monthly income alternative, neither the British nor the Australian embassies in Bangkok will issue him with the necessary letter of guarantee:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Provided that he already has a Thai bank account with at least 800,000 THB safely stashed in it. In connection with the 65,000 THB monthly income alternative, neither the British nor the Australian embassies in Bangkok will issue him with the necessary letter of guarantee:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

The money does not have to be in account prior to arrival.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

The money does not have to be in account prior to arrival.

18 hours ago, hkblademan said:

If he’s in Pattaya it does… 

Indeed, Jomtien insist on 2-month seasoning of the 800k for retirement non-o visa conversions, contrary to the official rules.

Just now, OJAS said:

Indeed, Jomtien insist on 2-month seasoning of the 800k for retirement non-o visa conversions, contrary to the official rules.

That is the exception but not a big deal as easy enough to make extend or make another entry if need more time.  Actually it appears OP may not need for another 2 years as he seems to indicate he will remain in UK for next 2 years to get PR.  Unclear why he wants to apply for Thai retirement visa now unless really intending to leave UK.  

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually it appears OP may not need for another 2 years as he seems to indicate he will remain in UK for next 2 years to get PR.  Unclear why he wants to apply for Thai retirement visa now unless really intending to leave UK.  

My apologies for not being clear. I want to retire now, not in two year's time. This is why I posted the question ???? 

12 minutes ago, Rajmusa789 said:

My apologies for not being clear. I want to retire now, not in two year's time. This is why I posted the question ???? 

In that case most people prefer to arrive visa exempt or with tourist visa and take care of the rest in Thailand (avoiding the medical insurance issues - or in your case not being in home country).  You might require agent help to establish the bank account but once that is done and money deposited it is an easy process to obtain non immigrant O visa and extend for retirement by yourself.

Edited by lopburi3

Hello All.

Just wanted to let you know that my O Visa has been approved. I applied for it on Wednesday 13 September and this morning I received the email of the approval ????

Thank you to BritTim for confirming that I could apply for the visa based on my current visa status.