The state of your average expat in Thailand.

bob smith

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Far better for anyone that understands what good music and actual talent is. Kanye West is a talented producer, and many like his music, but it doesn't compare to thousands of other more talented musicians. I won't listen to rap, hip hop and the like because there is so much more better music out there. I'm not saying they aren't good at what they do. Just that their talents are more with the lyrics and stage presence than playing an instrument. And it all sounds the same. People have been copying others for decades, and although there is some music that's been coming out the last decade or so that's good, much of it is more of the same, with the words arranged a little differently. Michael Jackson was great at what he did, and I like a few of his songs, especially the earlier ones,but he still isn't in the league of Lightfoot, Dylan, Floyd, Skynyrd, Moody Blues, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, and hundreds more. I love older R&B, and always will. Simple music, musicians that were mostly average, but still better than what's been put out today in R&B. This isn't easy for someone to understand that only likes one genre, such as pop, hip hop or rap, and hasn't been exposed to more that is more meaningful and better played. Some of my friends still listen, as i do, to old 70's and 80's rock, without giving anything newer a chance. That was great music, but there are artists today that are better musicins than those were back then. One in particular, who is probably in the top 3 of guitar players, and lyricists, is Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. 4 Grammys. He has more good music, and lyrics, than Beyonce will ever dream of having, yet he's far less known, especially of younger people,because a lot of younger people love pop music, and never rise above it.

far too many assumptions. ill just beat it. 

2 hours ago, 2baht said:
19 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Then you have the people who couldn't make it in their own country, moved here as it is cheaper thought they would be treated as little kings. didn't succeed in that too and have a major grudge to anything Thai.

I worked here for 30 years, did very well, thank you! 

But it is possible that if you had worked somewhere other than Thailand, you would be (at least) 5baht, no?

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

But it is possible that if you had worked somewhere other than Thailand, you would be (at least) 5baht, no?

2 baht is sufficient! I'm comfortable! :thumbsup: I worked in many Asian countries, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam to name a few!

5 minutes ago, stoner said:

No assumptions. Some people are just better musicians than others, and the best musicians have always been in the classical, rock, jazz, blues and fusion genres. What makes a person happy I'll never take away from them. That's what music is for. But some are much better than others, and some of the best never gets nominated and some of the same sounding, soulless pap gets awards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No assumptions. Some people are just better musicians than others, and the best musicians have always been in the classical, rock, jazz, blues and fusion genres. What makes a person happy I'll never take away from them. That's what music is for. But some are much better than others, and some of the best never gets nominated and some of the same sounding, soulless pap gets awards.

Judge not, that ye be not judged!

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

30 years in Thailand, worked in many Asian countries, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam. How many in your home country? Total years of work?

I'll send you my CV! I started work at 16 and retired at 65, work it out!

Edited by 2baht

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

We leave ours in the rice cooker overnight. Still good the next day.

That's SOP in most of developed Asia. At first, I was put off by it, thinking we'd all die. But now, 30 years later and still shuffling this mortal coil, my attitude has changed.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

People can adjust to bacteria in food, just like Mexicans and their water, but it only takes one time with food poisoning to teach a hard lesson.

We all get some form of stomach problems, regardless what or where we eat, regardless of how careful we try to be. 'Imodium' takes care of that quickly and easily.
I've watched visitors here refuse to eat in Thai restaurants, getting all their meals from McDs, BurgerKing, and 7-Eleven while on vacation here.

They really didn't get to experience some of the best of what travel has to offer, for fear of getting the G.I. Blues.

The ONLY time I ever got genuine 'food poisoning' was when I had lunch at Bangkok's premiere hotel.  The rice left over in my rice cooker has never even given me the sh!ts,

46 minutes ago, stoner said:

One of my favourite Canadian musicians is Joni Mitchell, through her collaborations with Jaco Pastorius. 
One example:

Larnell another good example:

1 hour ago, stoner said:

cute.

good thing almost no one outside of canada has ever heard of gordo.

Wasn't one of his songs ripped off by a US female hit singer? I remember FM93 putting out a comparison of the 2 melodies. Lucky we have the talent whom we have. there just something about that border that makes Canuck music stronger, more real.  I'm thinking of Robbie Robinson. Just watched his final interview,, on UT. loved all the music he out out as a solo artist. a real storyteller, reflecting, as he said himself, growing up listening to his Mohawk influences.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, 2baht said:

2 baht is sufficient! I'm comfortable! :thumbsup: I worked in many Asian countries, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam to name a few!

Me too, but I honestly didn't enjoy the Thailand work nearly as much as the gigs in Vietnam, Malaysia and Myanmar. Maybe because Thailand was where I came home to from 'overseas' work? For me, working while living in Thailand wasn't so rewarding, both professionally and financially.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

That's SOP in most of developed Asia. At first, I was put off by it, thinking we'd all die. But now, 30 years later and still shuffling this mortal coil, my attitude has changed.

Rice is the equivalent of the potato to (most) white folks squatting in Thailand. Cooked potatoes don't keep well outside the fridge and even when refrigerated, better to consume the next day.

Our tribe also keep the cooked rice from the night before in the cooker, but anyone using it for breakfast or brunch gives it the careful sniff test first. Otherwise, it's binned by midday.

Being in Isaan, our Yai makes the khaoniao (sticky) rice fresh every morning before the rest of the house rises and that's pretty good for all day use if the lid is kept on the bamboo pots.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

It's you.

If you went to any council estate in Glasgow for example (my home town), you would be forgiven for  thinking that every Glaswegian is an alcoholic, violent low-life who would rather head-butt you than say hello, when of course there are many areas of Glasgow where the vast majority of Glaswegians are quite the opposite. Location, surroundings, environment have a tendency to dictate the calibre of person you meet, so if you hang out in low-life areas, don't be surprised to bump into a few low-life's. 

'Good expats' don't hang out in these places. We go to nice bars and nice restaurants and stay well clear of the underbelly of Thailand for exactly this reason. You just need to widen your sphere of influence and circle of friends and understand that out of the many millions of ex-pats here in Thailand, the VAST majority are normal, hard-working guys who don't 'come off as con men/wrong uns' but good guys who are enjoying everything Thailand has to offer. 

However I doubt you will take this advice as you seem to revel in putting Thai's down and commenting on matters such as this. You've mentioned in a previous post that you are looking to leave Thailand. I think that's a good idea for you.

so you're telling me that you hang around in michelin star style restaurants casually, any day of the week and pay 500 baht for a bottle of water and 4000+ for a meal cos you can?

more fool you i say. and btw hi so farangs/thais are worse than the losers that I described in my OP. all they ever talk about is money and their latest ponzi schemes and pre ordered iphones.. No thanks.

Edited by bob smith
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

13 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

The problem with guys that have a job, a car and money is that they usually want to actually...like...talk about...their job, their car and their money.

Give me a loser with an interesting life story, any day.

Interesting point, it gets boringly predictable what guys are going to say, some want to play Trumps i.e. I've been in Thailand longer than you etc, those types are best avoided

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bob smith said:

so you're telling me that you hang around in michelin star style restaurants casually, any day of the week and pay 500 baht for a bottle of water and 4000+ for a meal cos you can?

more fool you i say. and btw hi so farangs/thais are worse than the losers that I described in my OP. all they ever talk about is money and their latest ponzi schemes and pre ordered iphones.. No thanks.

You are so myopic in your viewpoint it is of little wonder you struggle here in Thailand. I don't 'hang around in Michelin star style restaurants' but I have been to a few. And yes I can (like many expats here) afford to pay 4k for a meal - it doesn't mean that I'm 'hi so farang' (whatever that is), it just means I've done well in my career and can afford the better things in life. Normally though it's a beer and a game of pool at one of the many 'good' bars in Bangkok, with other ex-pats who I have a lot of time for (they're there if you care to look). I play a lot of golf and I'm in lots of golf society's and I run a regular cards night for close friends. However, I can slum it in Nana with the best (and often do) but the point is I don't just hang out doing the same thing over and over again. Bangkok is a big city and you get to choose your life accordingly. If you hang out constantly in the 'low-life' areas then as I said, expect to run into a whole heap of low lifes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob smith said:

No, @johnnybangkok simply suggested that you either chose to lurk in <deleted>holes or you are trolling.

I reckon it's a bit of both.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1