The state of your average expat in Thailand.

bob smith

It's the typical foreigner... divorced Tesco shelf stacker from home, balding head, fat guy and a bit of money...he comes here, gets a younger wife that makes him feel special and then he starts telling porky pies and acting the big I am...sew them everyday strutting their stuff...total muppets

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Hmmm.....people who can't make it in Thailand do the same thing.  They blame Thailand and everything else for their misfortunes. 

Then you have the people who couldn't make it in their own country, moved here as it is cheaper thought they would be treated as little kings. didn't succeed in that too and have a major grudge to anything Thai.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

How would you know, you've only been a member for a year........:whistling:

Think before you post, chap...????

If you think that I care about hiding the fact that I’ve been around for far longer, you are deluded. 
Time for you to grow up and to stop your ‘playground’ antics?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Lame cliche. A black swan is a black swan not a white sheep.

To an eagle, it's dinner. It all depends on who is looking.

We all see things through our own filters. What you see may not be what I see, even when looking at the same scene. Anyone in a cross-cultural relationship becomes instantly aware of that fact.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

To an eagle, it's dinner. It all depends on who is looking.

We all see things through our own filters. What you see may not be what I see, even when looking at the same scene. Anyone in a cross-cultural relationship becomes instantly aware of that fact.

If I see black grease on the footpath what do you see? A buffalo?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/13/2023 at 12:07 PM, fredwiggy said:

You haven't read my earlier posts, so I'll let you know. I met my now ex wife back in 2015 while visiting Thailand for Songkran in Bueng Kan. Was always on my bucket list so I came here. Stayed at the hotel she was working at, met her, fell in love, stayed a month here (yes, of course too fast), came back in September, got married, went back to the states, came back for honeymoon in February, left, came back a few times in the next 2 years, thinking I could get her to move to the states. She wanted to stay near her family, a group of people that basically don't like each other, 10 more kids, various ages and locations, particularly the mom (dad died earlier). Sold my house, built one here, she became herself soon afterwards, kidnapped our daughter 4 times, had to file for divorce to get daughter back home (in America, and most other places, she would be jailed), now live in house I built, joint custody, she now works in Pattaya so I have daughter now, until she returns (maybe). Planning to re establish back home with daughter as soon as I can work things out. I like some things here, but my hobbies I can't do, besides some fishing that isn't good in Isaan in any places not private or pay and fish. I try and learn a little Thai, but it isn't easy unless I'm doing it a lot, which I'm not, having no one else here that speaks both besides my girlfriend, who I talk with in English. My ex speaks a little English, but the lack of communication we had wasn't from that but from her past history and failing to climb out of it. Narcissism runs in her family. Covert, not malignant.  I don't care to integrate for those reasons, because this isn't home to me. And my daughter will do a thousand times better back home.

Thank you for letting me know. I wish you and your family well, especially your daughter,

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, bignok said:

I think a lot of guys marry women with a 9th grade education. No wonder lots are not suited. 

that makes sense. it does take quite a bit of time to realize what a limited education (also possibly poor diet) has on someone. I suppose that's what rose tinted glasses are for.

23 hours ago, Hummin said:

All I have to say, most of them I frequently meet up with, is great good people who are here for work, business owners (no pimps), or retired early. 

Meet once and awhile people on the road travelling, and also not to bad, but at once we sit in a bar somewhere, you bet some deleted coming along and tell his story of life.

Most annoying, is those who want to tell you how bad Thai women are when my gf now wife sit next to me!

That's just deleted.

the other thing which both my wife and i sometimes get embarrassed about is when an expat complained about most things Thai, in front of native Thais. Thais seem to be very polite and forgiving, excepting when you feel driven to give the finger to a tuktuk driver in Patong.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, paddypower said:

the other thing which both my wife and i sometimes get embarrassed about is when an expat complained about most things Thai, in front of native Thais. Thais seem to be very polite and forgiving, excepting when you feel driven to give the finger to a tuktuk driver in Patong.

Walk away from these bad expats. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

What was wrong with yourdiet? 

This will bore you to tears. But Its true.  Thailand is rated in the ''medium'' range of low birthweight in an ASEAN study in 2021. Unfortunately, this ''marker'' relates to poor maternal and foetal health and nutrition. Babies born with low birthweight are more likely to die in the first 28 days of life, and those that survive often suffer from stunted growth, lower IQ and an increased risk of adult-onset and chronic conditions such as obesity and diabetes. I was a bit shocked to hear, when chatting to Isaan ladies (and husbands) - stories of families being so poor that they recycle their uneaten cooked rice.

10 minutes ago, paddypower said:

This will bore you to tears. But Its true.  Thailand is rated in the ''medium'' range of low birthweight in an ASEAN study in 2021. Unfortunately, this ''marker'' relates to poor maternal and foetal health and nutrition. Babies born with low birthweight are more likely to die in the first 28 days of life, and those that survive often suffer from stunted growth, lower IQ and an increased risk of adult-onset and chronic conditions such as obesity and diabetes. I was a bit shocked to hear, when chatting to Isaan ladies (and husbands) - stories of families being so poor that they recycle their uneaten cooked rice.

Westerners put uneaten food in fridge for 2 days

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, paddypower said:

You should be embarrassed as most of what those expats say is likely true, especially in a ripoff joint like Patpong.

Your final sentence underscores my point; it's all fun and games until you call their bluff and then it's game on.

3 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

You should be embarrassed as most of what those expats say is likely true, especially in a ripoff joint like Patpong.

Your final sentence underscores my point; it's all fun and games until you call their bluff and then it's game on.

the 2 comments are not connected. 20 years ago,  I used to live in Kamala and only drove to Patong to buy dvd's. The expats I'm describing I have met in more recent years - on Phuket Island, Surat, NST.

42 minutes ago, paddypower said:

True. When my daughter here was born, by caesarean at 8 months, the doctor told my ex she had to come out because she was too big for mom. She was born around 5 kilos plus if I remember correctly. I was born at 9 months at 4.16 kilos, so my daughter was huge compared to local kids. My ex looked like she was carrying a sack of potatoes down low. I have told my now girlfriend many times to toss the rice from the day before because many get sick from leftover., but she said she's always done it.

1 hour ago, paddypower said:

Normal. From whence do you think the idea of fried rice came?