Is this Dengue vaccination a good idea?

scubascuba3

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I haven't googled it but i vaguely remember you should only have this if you've had dengue already, but the images below don't mention that at all

Screenshot_2023-09-13-16-32-16-175_com.facebook.katana~2.jpg

Screenshot_2023-09-13-16-32-29-366_com.facebook.katana~2.jpg

No <deleted>. good for over 60s then.

• Sad 2

44 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I haven't googled it but i vaguely remember you should only have this if you've had dengue already, but the images below don't mention that at all

That was the Dengvaxia vaccine, which was for kids that had been previously infected.

This will be the Qdenga, which is for adults whether they have been previously infected or not.

I don't know enough about it to say whether it's a good idea, but there does seem to be a lot of people going down with Dengue in Bangkok at the moment.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No 4..kin. good for over 60s then.

As far as I can see, it's not licenced for over 60s because there's no data, not because it's contraindicated. There's also no data on people with chronic illnesses. But then, they don't even have data on boosters yet, so I suppose it will all come through eventually. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

That was the Dengvaxia vaccine, which was for kids that had been previously infected.

This will be the Qdenga, which is for adults whether they have been previously infected or not.

I don't know enough about it to say whether it's a good idea, but there does seem to be a lot of people going down with Dengue in Bangkok at the moment.  

Not only Bangkok. Someone I do business with has it. He said he thought his head was going to explode, and while in hospital he had to use a Zimmer frame to get to the toilet and his arms felt like he was carry heavy weights. Sounds like having the vaccine might not be a bad idea. Probably free at the local hospital. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Does anybody know if the new booster for the Covid new strain is available in Thailand?

What new booster / new strain do you mean?

The Omicron one that came out about a year ago is available here.

The one just approved by the US FDA this month is not yet available anywhere much less in Thailand. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Qdenga is discussed in this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

24 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

4 strains of Dengue? Is that correct? I know there are 4 varieties of Malaria that make up Dengue. From what I have read Dengue is dangerous because of its make up. What works for one type of Malaria doesnt necessarily work for the other types.

I'm not sure what you mean. There are 5 (or 6 depending how you split them) strains of malaria parasites, and 2 of them are responsible for most of the infections in humans. There are 4 strains of the dengue virus (DenV-1 to DenV-4). DenV-2 used to be the most common and also the most serious, but 3 & 4 infections have been increasing. Infection with one strain of dengue offers little or no protection against the others, so you can catch it naturally 4 times. Subsequent infections are always a higher risk than the first, regardless of which strains are mixed. 

The Qdenga was initially based on DenV-2. It offers the best protection against that strain, but has reasonable protection against the others as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

I'm not sure what you mean. There are 5 (or 6 depending how you split them) strains of malaria parasites, and 2 of them are responsible for most of the infections in humans. There are 4 strains of the dengue virus (DenV-1 to DenV-4). DenV-2 used to be the most common and also the most serious, but 3 & 4 infections have been increasing. Infection with one strain of dengue offers little or no protection against the others, so you can catch it naturally 4 times. Subsequent infections are always a higher risk than the first, regardless of which strains are mixed. 

The Qdenga was initially based on DenV-2. It offers the best protection against that strain, but has reasonable protection against the others as well. 

Dengue is made up of a combination or other Malaria viruses which, apparently until now, has been very hard to treat.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Sadly a 12 year old girl died from Dengue 2 days ago, in my Isaan village, as far as I am aware there is no cure and no real vaccine available to combat Dengue, although I am aware work is ongoing but has been for years.

i wound up in the hospital for 4 days from it..

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Photoguy21 said:

Dengue is made up of a combination or other Malaria viruses which, apparently until now, has been very hard to treat.

Malaria is a parasite not a virus. Dengue is a virus. They are not related, and it's possible to be infected with both, even simultaneously. There's no real treatment for dengue, just treating the symptoms while you suffer through it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

Malaria is a parasite not a virus. Dengue is a virus. They are not related, and it's possible to be infected with both, even simultaneously. There's no real treatment for dengue, just treating the symptoms while you suffer through it.  

Hate to disillusion you but Dengue is caused by mosquitos

25 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

i wound up in the hospital for 4 days from it..

The first time I was in hospital I was one day away from being shipped off to ICU, This second time which was a few weeks ago I stayed home, it was different symptoms the first time I was being sick all the time but not this time not even once, 

Is it made by Pfizer, Biontec or Moderna? I'd say not.

I've had it twice. First was under protected and unaware (Pattaya city). Second , took precautions but it got me. That was serious.

I won't take any vaccine for the rest of my life.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

two-way street.

Not in practice. You get dengue you go to hospital where there are no mosquitoes and you get yourself healed up. For those suffering on at home I'm sure they are cloistered away on a bed with a mosquito net at the very least.

Well what you're saying is true I think this applies far more too other animals and in particular mammals rather than humans. Your proposition is entirely theoretical