American man faces dilemma as Thai girlfriend’s parents demand 1 million baht dowry

snoop1130

46 minutes ago, Misty said:

Since the man is being asked to pay the bride's family, the article is actually discussing a "bride price," not a "dowry."

Dowry = property or money brought by a bride to her husband on their marriage  https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dowry+meaning

Bride Price = a sum of money or quantity of goods given to a bride's family by that of the groom.   https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-51264574

You did not read or comprehend the article... "The parents asked the foreign man to give them 1 million baht as a dowry, half of which would go to his fiancée after the wedding ceremony and the other half would be kept by the parents for safekeeping"

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

You did not read or comprehend the article... "The parents asked the foreign man to give them 1 million baht as a dowry, half of which would go to his fiancée after the wedding ceremony and the other half would be kept by the parents for safekeeping"

?? What did he get wrong?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Drop the dead donkey said:

This post has received 12 pages of replies.

to be honest with you, it is just bait journalism.

Who cares about other people’s lives to this extent. 
I read the first page, and realise that the bait has been taken.

The bait is always taken…

My view is “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”

Thailand has different cultures and customs, accept and abide by them or don’t stay here.

It really is that simple.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

Thailand has different cultures and customs, accept and abide by them or don’t stay here.

What about the Thai people who don’t agree with them? Should they leave too?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Ok, upto you.

Don't forget to gargle with urine each morning and become bisexual. Romans,  ha ha.

The rest of your post is laughable as well. :stoner:

It's that simple. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, quake said:

Ok, upto you.

Don't forget to gargle with urine each morning and become bisexual. Romans,  ha ha.

The rest of your post is laughable as well. :stoner:

It's that simple. 

If I was in historic Rome, I would abide by their customs, they were less forgiving than Thai’s.

I don’t think gargling with urine was mandatory, or bisexuality, but hey, When in Rome…

15 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

How about at least one good picture of the bride—so we can help determine how much sinsod?

And a picture of the bridegroom. The attractiveness differential is needed for an exact determination of the price. 

16 hours ago, Drop the dead donkey said:

This post has received 12 pages of replies.

to be honest with you, it is just bait journalism.

Who cares about other people’s lives to this extent. 
I read the first page, and realise that the bait has been taken.

Of courses it has. Anything to do with sex and love in the farang/Siamese context always gets lots of impassioned replies, more even than the story of the squared faced godfather of CM screwing the Thai people over again.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 11:10 AM, 1FinickyOne said:

The old line tradition was that each party designated a friend to negotiate the dowry and that way there was no conflict w/the family... 

The Bridesmoney (Dowry) was a negotiation in front of our dinner and a beer after a day sugar cane harvest... 

No special event or announced with drums and trumpets.. 

2002 I asked my wife to pay the respect to father (widow) and we had from day one a tight bond because he was former Thai Reconnaisance and I was German Seal. 

Within one year he was my father and I his only son..

Luckily, money was never standing between us.

22 hours ago, transam said:

Where there we have it, you just want a leg over, wherever it is.....????

Why else would we want to marry a young woman that can't relate to our life experience or have a discussion about things we like, which do not pertain 100% to food.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

Rubbish. They want our money. Money negates customs, unless one wishes to abide by them. Sin sod is a custom that is not essential to observe.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If she is of age to be independent then she decides if they get married or not. Don't need parental permission except for minors.

True legally, but in reality almost all Thais will abide by their parents. If they don’t it would ring alarm bells with me.

Legally & culturally, parents can do no wrong. Parents can sue children but not vice-versa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rubbish. They want our money. Money negates customs, unless one wishes to abide by them. Sin sod is a custom that is not essential to observe.

Money does not negate customs.

You can’t have a typical Thai wedding and pick and choose which customs you will observe.

The bride’s parents lose face if no sinsod.  They would probably rather borrow the money to show the guests (telling them you paid) rather than suffer the ignominy of admitting you paid no sinsod.

A lot of parents will give it to the bride after the wedding.

Another cultural point to bear in mind “YOU” pay for the wedding.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

The average American wedding, including all expenses such as the rings, ceremony and reception, comes in at a whopping $33,900! 

Same human trafficking???

IMO anyone paying that much for a wedding ( the bride's parents? ) must be loaded or stupid.

Couple promising to God to live till death parts- lies lies lies in 50% of marriages.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

The Bridesmoney (Dowry) was a negotiation in front of our dinner and a beer after a day sugar cane harvest... 

No special event or announced with drums and trumpets.. 

2002 I asked my wife to pay the respect to father (widow) and we had from day one a tight bond because he was former Thai Reconnaisance and I was German Seal. 

Within one year he was my father and I his only son..

Luckily, money was never standing between us.

I also have a good relationship with the father for over 20 years now... and i never really thought about it, I guess it began when I gave him 2x the dowry he asked for... he is a very nice man.