Thai education ministry ‘tablets’ a bright future: Bringing equality to classrooms

webfact

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

That sounds like self fulfilling prophecy. 

This kind of thinking will not change anything. 

Let them try without your "experience"????

try what? i fail to see your point. i still am a teacher, and kids are brainwashed enough as it is with telephones, which are a mini version of a tablet. curriculums are not designed with the use of tablets, or computers in mind.

if you have a solution, then bring it forth... if not then you are part of the problem  ????

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

try what? i fail to see your point. i still am a teacher, and kids are brainwashed enough as it is with telephones, which are a mini version of a tablet. curriculums are not designed with the use of tablets, or computers in mind.

if you have a solution, then bring it forth... if not then you are part of the problem  ????

I'd say the problems are so-called teachers being incapable to accept new technologies and changing attitudes of students. Sure, if you offer boring lessons, students are likely to use their phones or laptops.????

2 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Other daughters may not be so privileged to have a rich father like you. Anyway, she a bright girl to foresee the poor quality tablet which has not been issued. I agree that teaching need improvement. 

certainly not rich, bought Iphone 2nd hand, works great! but I don't spend money on booze or hookers! ????

9 hours ago, pedro01 said:
9 hours ago, 2baht said:

It was a lady whose first name begins with Y!

yeah - that's what I meant - when Thaksin was in charge ????

Yes, I remember her campaign posters plastered all over BKK " free iPAD" for every student if you vote for me! ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

I'd say the problems are so-called teachers being incapable to accept new technologies and changing attitudes of students. Sure, if you offer boring lessons, students are likely to use their phones or laptops.????

boring? so this is turned personal?

speak for yourself.

you obviously haven't got a clue what goes on in a classroom or you'd clamp your clapper.

a moron would speak the way you do. as i said mr wanna be teacher, the curriculum isn't designed for this and the salary paid is insufficient for anyone to design a curriculum for free.

look up curriculum in a dictionary for some insight

This is the party MO,  Yingluck was the one who Made the promise if the people would vote for her. My son is 24 still waiting.

This party is showing consistent behavior truly a government of stupidity their government standard are so far below standard basically aside from math, science, showing up to sing their national anthem learn nothing else. Are the same applications going to all get top Wi-Fi for free or tablets for games back home.????

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No. Educational standards here have to change. To begin with, they have to start encouraging the students to question the teachers,

before questioning the teacher they should question their parents and the poorly educated sycophant headmasters and heads of departments. most teachers are doing their best but we have our hands tied because of archaic neanderthal policies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pouatchee said:

boring? so this is turned personal?

speak for yourself.

you obviously haven't got a clue what goes on in a classroom or you'd clamp your clapper.

a moron would speak the way you do. as i said mr wanna be teacher, the curriculum isn't designed for this and the salary paid is insufficient for anyone to design a curriculum for free.

look up curriculum in a dictionary for some insight

If you are a teacher - what I doubt - then look for a more suitable job. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

jimmy crack corn. i wonder what you do or did for a living? troll perhaps... you must be very good at it. oh, btw, seems that most posters here agree with me.

With your comments you disqualify yourself. If this is the way you pretend being a teacher I can understand if students run away or play on their mobiles. I pity you. As a teacher I expect far more intelligence and ability to offer interesting lessons. However, sometimes it would require to go new ways of teaching. Unfortunately you are either too old willing to learn or just a grumpy member here wasting my time. I wish you a lot of enlightenment if possible. And I definitely don't want to have a reply.

On 9/14/2023 at 10:19 PM, spidermike007 said:

No. Educational standards here have to change. To begin with, they have to start encouraging the students to question the teachers, developing curiosity in the process. Any teacher who has a hard time being questioned, is hiding something.

By international standards, the two top universities in Thailand are Mahidol and Chulalongkorn. World University Rankings created by Times Higher Education takes into account the reputation of research done by universities and how often papers produced by universities were quoted around the world. They have Mahidol ranked at #610, and Chulalongkorn ranked at #801, worldwide. That is the best this nation is capable of. Shows you how important education is to the elite (who send their kids overseas for college) and this spectacularly toxic administration. I know this thread is primarily about grade school, but I doubt there are international rankings for that.

Also, University used to serve a vital function. These days, that is not necessarily the case. Unless one graduates with a medical degree, medical tech, nursing, an MBA from a top 20 school, or a degree in engineering, the prospects are not what they used to be. And the debt can be outrageous. College seems to be a racket these days. Big business. And who wins in the end? The university. Vocational school, or specialized training, may have more application, in this world.

Although I agree with you, students questioning their teachers will probably not go down to well with the Thai hierarchy.  It is so ingrained into Thai "culture" to not question those in the educational system (and elsewhere) that this would be very difficult to change.  

In looking at the World University rankings for 2023 as put out by The Times Higher Education I found that Chula was ranked highest for Thai universities.  It was grouped somewhere between #801 - 1000.  Mahidol was ranked at #4 for Thai universities and in the same band as Chula.  Surprisingly, Thammasat was only #10 amongst Thai universities and was in the #1201-1500 band of universities.  

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/world-university-rankings/2023/world-ranking#!/length/25/locations/THA/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats  

I was reading somewhere the other day, that one school system in Scandinavia somewhere has ditched tablets entirely for younger grades insisting that they learn to read, write, spell, do sums etc before using tablets.

Scandinavian countries usually rank as the top performers for educational achievement in Europe (not in the world as Singapore tends to dominate). I gather they got the idea from looking at attainment levels in countries that had extensive lockdowns and used e-learning instead of face to face. 

I tend to think many if not most kids get enough play time on electronic toys, either laptops, phones or tablets at home. 

On 9/15/2023 at 1:45 PM, Poseidon said:

Could try Increasing teacher pay, improving the schools especially around science laboratory'sif they were serious. Instead it's outdated rubbish that didn't work the first time 

What do you do when the majority of Thai teachers (not all) are useless. Will giving them a pay rise make them better teachers? Research says that when you get a pay rise, you are motivated for a day or so. 

On 9/15/2023 at 9:20 PM, steven100 said:

great idea ... games, facebook and LINE chat use will skyrocket.  

do they actually think the tablets will be used to learn  ?

unbelievable   !

Yes, unbelievable,for many reasons.

Just one tablets are 'one way'. It's well proven that two way teaching / discussion /continuous student participation (e.g. all Singapore schools) is the key to the best education outcomes. 

• Like 1