Thai education ministry ‘tablets’ a bright future: Bringing equality to classrooms

webfact

26 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes, unbelievable,for many reasons.

Just one tablets are 'one way'. It's well proven that two way teaching / discussion /continuous student participation (e.g. all Singapore schools) is the key to the best education outcomes. 

so you mean more games I guess ....   LOL

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

so you mean more games I guess ....   LOL

I wrote "...It's well proven that two way teaching / discussion /continuous student participation (e.g. all Singapore schools) is the key to the best education outcomes." 

Meaning that kids are encouraged to analyse, to ask questions, to ask 'why is that true'?

You interpet that as games...

Just one approach is labelled as 'Project Based Learning'.

Teacher / lecturer gives an overview of a subject etc., then in small teams (2 or 3 students) they kids have to search for more details, then what they have discovered is shared with the class and all students invited to comment / compare against what their team has discovered etc. It has benefits,

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

I wrote "...It's well proven that two way teaching / discussion /continuous student participation (e.g. all Singapore schools) is the key to the best education outcomes." 

Meaning that kids are encouraged to analyse, to ask questions, to ask 'why is that true'?

You interpet that as games...

Just one approach is labelled as 'Project Based Learning'.

Teacher / lecturer gives an overview of a subject etc., then in small teams (2 or 3 students) they kids have to search for more details, then what they have discovered is shared with the class and all students invited to comment / compare against what their team has discovered etc. It has benefits,

it will only work and benefit the kid if it's monitored imo

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

it will only work and benefit the kid if it's monitored imo

Of course it's well monitored so that it's producing a good result.

Or perhaps you'd prefer to have your kids continue to be taught by rote learning. They have no idea why something is correct, they are forbidden to ask questions and 99% of teachers don't ask the kids question to ensure they have understood.

19 hours ago, retarius said:

I was reading somewhere the other day, that one school system in Scandinavia somewhere has ditched tablets entirely for younger grades insisting that they learn to read, write, spell, do sums etc before using tablets.

Scandinavian countries usually rank as the top performers for educational achievement in Europe (not in the world as Singapore tends to dominate). I gather they got the idea from looking at attainment levels in countries that had extensive lockdowns and used e-learning instead of face to face. 

I tend to think many if not most kids get enough play time on electronic toys, either laptops, phones or tablets at home. 

Several scandinavian countries have been at the top / near the top of world education rankings for years (same as Singapore). It's not specific to Covid- 19 lockdowns or the Covid-19 era.