Thai PM says he opposes the recreational use of cannabis

webfact

The Democrats were the party that scuppered the Cannabis Bill on its second reading. They are now in the opposition.  Current government parties that were in favour of the Cannabis Bill were BJP, PPRP and UTN and outnumber PT with 147 MPs vs PT's 141. 

Of course, since it holds the Public Health Ministry, PT can just do what Anutin did last year in reverse and put a one-pager in the Royal Gazette to recriminalize cannabis with no new law or parliamentary scrutiny.  They may be counting on Anutin being fat and happy with what he can make out of the Interior Ministry, so he won't rock the boat. 

On the other hand Srettha talks vacuously about drumming up 5% GDP growth with no concrete plans to do this other than visa free travel for Chinese and Kazaks, despite the poor Chinese economy and lack of flights,  and the absurd digital wallet vote one-off buying scheme. So shutting down a promising new economic sector is not going to contribute much of his economic growth promise.

Before it was legal there was one Rasta bar in Samui where everyone smoked freely.  Must've been owned or "authorized" by the BIB.  After they legalized it, they went out of business immediately.  When the envelopes stop flowing watch the laws get more stiff.  

On 9/16/2023 at 9:17 AM, JBChiangRai said:
Source: US CDC

Addiction

Some people who use marijuana will develop marijuana use disorder, meaning that they are unable to stop using marijuana even though it’s causing health and social problems in their lives.

• One study estimated that approximately 3 in 10 people who use marijuana have marijuana use disorder.1
  • Another study estimated that people who use cannabis have about a 10% likelihood of becoming addicted.2
  • The risk of developing marijuana use disorder is greater in people who start using marijuana during youth or adolescence and who use marijuana more frequently.3

What a load of rubbish,  Have you actually read what you copied and pasted ?  

"one study estimated approximately"      what sort of "evidence" is that ???

"Another study estimated,,,,,"  "around a 10%" likelihood "     absolutely meaningless.

And then there's  "Marijuana use disorder"   when was that invented ?   What is the difference between the "orderly" and "disorderly" use of "Marijuana"  and what is the difference between "use disorder" and the imaginary addiction     

The risks of  "harm" from  doing absolutely anything at all increases with frequency and when adolescents are involved so the final sentence is also totally meaningless

That entire article is completely made up , just the usual rubbish quoted by those who for whatever reason have an anti cannabis agenda, when they wish to give the impression that their aversions are science based, Totally fictional statistics that can neither be proved or disproved.

Are  you aware of  the origin of the use of the word "marijuana"   Why do you think they used that word in the article instead of cannabis? 

And you were a magistrate  ..... oh dear

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

What a load of rubbish,  Have you actually read what you copied and pasted ?  

"one study estimated approximately"      what sort of "evidence" is that ???

"Another study estimated,,,,,"  "around a 10%" likelihood "     absolutely meaningless.

And then there's  "Marijuana use disorder"   when was that invented ?   What is the difference between the "orderly" and "disorderly" use of "Marijuana"  and what is the difference between "use disorder" and the imaginary addiction     

The risks of  "harm" from  doing absolutely anything at all increases with frequency and when adolescents are involved so the final sentence is also totally meaningless

That entire article is completely made up , just the usual rubbish quoted by those who for whatever reason have an anti cannabis agenda, when they wish to give the impression that their aversions are science based, Totally fictional statistics that can neither be proved or disproved.

Are  you aware of  the origin of the use of the word "marijuana"   Why do you think they used that word in the article instead of cannabis? 

And you were a magistrate  ..... oh dear

Aaaaaah, the words of a true puffer...........????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/17/2023 at 3:25 AM, JBChiangRai said:

I volunteered one day per week as a magistrate in the UK. I saw only the cases outside of a typical stoner’s “bubble of normality” and what I saw was horrific.

"Horrific"   jesus you must have lead a very sheltered life    we are not talking about Crack Smack and Meth on this thread.  Did you know there are different kinds of recreational drugs ?  Or does the "magistrates for dummies" hand book not bother to explain the differences?  Then again why would they, for those only be dealing with minor cases of "drugs"  possession   However I understand that the graphic recounts of shoplifting must have been very traumatic

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, arithai12 said:

Srettha's name was not in the ballots, so I don't think he really cares about voters support. Interestingly, Pita also openly opposed recreational use of marijuana (a u-turn from his position years before), but no one told him he would lose voters and that he is not smart.  Go figure.

If you made your money with selling cannabis products and that guy comes up for rejection would you vote for him, if you eligible to vote? I certainly wouldn't. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Back on topic...

Srettha has no power or agency in this matter. If he did he would immediately issue an order to put Cannabis back on the Narcotics list, and instruct the RTP (who report directly to him) to immediately enforce the newly re-criminalized Cannabis restrictions.

He wouldn't be PM without the support of BJT. Anutin is Deputy PM and Interior Minister, the second most powerful (some argue it is first) position in the government. Srettha is not going to single-handedly re-criminalize Cannabis, nor does he want to. Instead he issues a tepid response about his "feelings". He's a talker not a doer.

Cannabis flower, regardless of THC content remains legal to grow, sell and consume recreationally with current rules and restrictions. And will remain so until the Cannabis Control Act is passed and the Cannabis Control Board begins to regulate the industry. Even then, recreational use will continue to be "not illegal".

Discussions about medical disorders are off-topic in this thread and should be excised, or moved to a relevant thread/forum? 

12 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Back on topic...

Srettha has no power or agency in this matter. If he did he would immediately issue an order to put Cannabis back on the Narcotics list, and instruct the RTP (who report directly to him) to immediately enforce the newly re-criminalized Cannabis restrictions.

He wouldn't be PM without the support of BJT. Anutin is Deputy PM and Interior Minister, the second most powerful (some argue it is first) position in the government. Srettha is not going to single-handedly re-criminalize Cannabis, nor does he want to. Instead he issues a tepid response about his "feelings". He's a talker not a doer.

Cannabis flower, regardless of THC content remains legal to grow, sell and consume recreationally with current rules and restrictions. And will remain so until the Cannabis Control Act is passed and the Cannabis Control Board begins to regulate the industry. Even then, recreational use will continue to be "not illegal".

Discussions about medical disorders are off-topic in this thread and should be excised, or moved to a relevant thread/forum? 

Rubbish, they are at the heart of the reason why recreational cannabis use is being considered to criminalise by the PM.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

I oppose it as well, but that is no reason to ban it. It doesn't do any harm to non-smokers does it?

Read the post above on violence.

I am in favour of medical use with prescription and doctors being the gatekeepers for men under 26 and women under 24.

On 9/16/2023 at 5:11 PM, Peabody said:

US can't define anything here.

Neither can an incorrect infographic.

Jesus Christ, why don't you ask the guy who actually has a government license to grow and sell?

I just had lunch with the 2nd largest grower in Chiang Rai province (the largest if Golden Triangle Group are no longer in business).

He has 20 rai for growing, currently only using 2 rai of which half is air conditioned indoor growing, he has 25 staff and all the equipment to measure THC %age.

He has licences for THC & CBD both growing and selling.

Nowhere in his licences is the THC percentage specified.  He is licenced to grow and sell within the law, his licences are not superior to the law.

The government do not need to do anything, or alter anyone's licences, they merely just announce that as per the law change of 9th June 2022, it is only legal to grow & sell anything with THC at 0.2% and below and if they want they can pass more legislation to allow licences for growth over 0.2% THC which would likely be much more strictly controlled and require prescriptions on retail.

On 9/16/2023 at 4:39 AM, pacovl46 said:

And just like that he lost every eligible voters vote and support who's into smoking cannabis as well as everyone who makes a living with cannabis products. Smart move - not! 

Almost all of the cannabis shops I pass by are, apart from bored staff, empty. 

• Sad 2

59 minutes ago, Lancelot01 said:

Almost all of the cannabis shops I pass by are, apart from bored staff, empty. 

So that's a good thing, right?

Nobody is buying cannabis (according to you), so nobody is smoking it.

Sounds like all the anti-cannabis crowd here, who love telling other adults how to live their lives, should be happy that no one is smoking cannabis.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Per Yahoo article summarizing Bloomberg interview given by Srettha Thavisin on 9/20/23, he has set a 6 month time-frame for introducing legislation to roll back recreational use.

"The government will seek to “rectify” its cannabis policy and rampant sprouting of dispensaries that freely sell the drug within a six-month time frame, Srettha Thavisin said in an interview with Bloomberg Television’s Haslinda Amin on Wednesday in New York.

“The law will need to be rewritten,” Srettha said. “It needs to be rectified. We can have that regulated for medical use only,” he said, adding that there can’t be a middle ground for recreational use."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/thai-pm-vows-end-free-041423931.html

Edited by Gecko123
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, webfact said:

The confusion from last year’s delisting in Thailand, which has resulted in a flourish of retail outlets around the country, was the result of no proper legislation being in force at the time.

The whole problem should be laid at the feet of that Nimrod Anutin

It is obvious he profited in many ways not least of which was insider trading of info about this loophole he was creating

Proof of which can be seen in the over abundance of high end shops popping open instantly with product that should have taken min 3 months to come to market

Now when it all goes belly up I hope all those that paid him will seek compensation in $$ or skin

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Sounds like all the anti-cannabis crowd here, who love telling other adults how to live their lives, should be happy that no one is smoking cannabis.

Looking at the topic we are in, it appears the Thai PM is doing exactly that too....or just perhaps, he is looking out for his country. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Looking at the topic we are in, it appears the Thai PM is doing exactly that too....or just perhaps, he is looking out for his country. 

Then he should immediately re-criminalize Cannabis, TODAY.

I think if he were "looking out for the country" he wouldn't run off on a boondoggle eight day trip to NYC to deliver one three minute speech on the "Sufficiency Economy". Rather he would be spending his first 90 days in Thailand kicking off his government's agenda, making sure all was running well.

And surely there must be more pressing problems than recreational Cannabis which many here say is not being sold, in the too many shops with no customers.

Just now, bamnutsak said:

Then he should immediately re-criminalize Cannabis, TODAY.

I think if he were "looking out for the country" he wouldn't run off on a boondoggle eight day trip to NYC to deliver one three minute speech on the "Sufficiency Economy". Rather he would be spending his first 90 days in Thailand kicking off his government's agenda, making sure all was running well.

And surely there must be more pressing problems than recreational Cannabis which many here say is not being sold, in the too many shops with no customers.

Give him an opportunity to get his feet under the desk..... last guy sat there for 9 years and achieved nothing.

• Haha 1

Just now, jacko45k said:

Give him an opportunity to get his feet under the desk..... last guy sat there for 9 years and achieved nothing.

But he could re-criminalize Cannabis in 15 seconds, surely that can't be too taxing for him? He could even do this from NYC.

Yet, he says something will be done in six months.

So how pressing can the matter be if it can be pushed out six months? Not very I'd wager.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, n00dle said:

err, Pita was vocally anti-cannabis.

Recently.

I think he was pro-cannabis a few years ago. That's my recollection anyway.

And not saying folks can't change their minds either.

That said, it's hardly relevant as Pita is sidelined.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bamnutsak said:

But he could re-criminalize Cannabis in 15 seconds, surely that can't be too taxing for him? He could even do this from NYC.

I am not sure he can do that... I thought it would have to be voted on in Parliament. I will let anyone knowing the system better answer that.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I am not sure he can do that

Yes, he can.

Anutin, as Deputy PM and Minster of Health, issued an edict on 9 June 2022, which was published in the Royal Gazette, legalizing cannabis flower by removing it from the Narcotics Lists.. (Kratom, and Hemp too.)

The PM could issue his own edict TODAY, to add Cannabis flower back onto the Narcotics Lists, and instruct the RTP which reports directly to him, to enforce this new (re-) ban.