Bone Spurs in Knees

dddave

While getting a cortisone injection in my already arthritic knees, the Doctor pointed out bone spurs within the knee joints.  He was using some kind of scanning device to view the joints to guide the needle.   

We were pressed for time and I didn't have time to question him in any depth.   Usually, cortisone injections give me immediate relief but not this time and I suspect the bone spurs have a lot to do with that.

For many reasons, I have been avoiding knee replacement surgery.  The last two days I've been studying-up on arthroscopic bone spur removal but hard facts are tough to come by.  Has anybody here had this procedure done locally?  I assume not out-patient.  How many days in hospital post surgery? How difficult and fast was recovery?  What were the costs per knee?   Where did you have it done?

Any and all information appreciated.

13 minutes ago, dddave said:

While getting a cortisone injection in my already arthritic knees, the Doctor pointed out bone spurs within the knee joints.  He was using some kind of scanning device to view the joints to guide the needle.   

We were pressed for time and I didn't have time to question him in any depth.   Usually, cortisone injections give me immediate relief but not this time and I suspect the bone spurs have a lot to do with that.

For many reasons, I have been avoiding knee replacement surgery.  The last two days I've been studying-up on arthroscopic bone spur removal but hard facts are tough to come by.  Has anybody here had this procedure done locally?  I assume not out-patient.  How many days in hospital post surgery? How difficult and fast was recovery?  What were the costs per knee?   Where did you have it done?

I feel you pain. While not having a bone spur on my knee, I did have one on my big toe that almost prevented me from walking. I resisted at first to have surgery because I heard they grow back at some point. But I went ahead and had the spur removed surgically, not arthroscopic. I had to wear a special medical boot for a month and the healing took a few months before I was able to walk comfortably. It has been about seven years now since my surgery and I am very glad I had it done. I had this done in the States but I would think that Bumrungrad hospital would have best doctors for your procedure. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Bone spurs can if necessary be removed through arthroscopic surgery. 

However with significant osteoarthritis just removing bone spurs will seldom make a  lasting difference (among other things new spurs will form as a redult of the underlying erosion of cartilege) and more definitive  treatment such as knee replacement may make more sense.

Every case is different so this is something to discuss in detail with your orthopedic surgeon.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Bone spurs can if necessary be removed through arthroscopic surgery.  

However with significant osteoarthritis just removing bone spurs will seldom make a  lasting difference (among other things new spurs will form as a redult of the underlying erosion of cartilege) and more definitive  treatment such as knee replacement may make more sense.

Every case is different so this is something to discuss in detail with your orthopedic surgeon.

Thanks, Sheryl and also thanks for the contributions of others.  I will consult further with my orthopedist but the likelihood of re-occurrence will probably make such a procedure impractical.

I have twice been afflicted with life and limb threatening, hospital acquired MSRA post surgical infections.  As I am now 80, my risk factor is high, especially with knee replacement surgery being quite high on the list of surgeries resulting in HIA's. Adding to the risk is that both knees need replacement.  It's unlikely that both could be replaced in one surgery so two separate surgeries would be necessary.

Clearly, I have some difficult risk/lifestyle decisions to make.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2023 at 7:39 PM, dddave said:

castor oil soaked in a tea towel and wrapped around the knees daily for at least 20 mins 3 times a day.  use plenty of oil

20 hours ago, dddave said:

Thanks, Sheryl and also thanks for the contributions of others.  I will consult further with my orthopedist but the likelihood of re-occurrence will probably make such a procedure impractical.

I have twice been afflicted with life and limb threatening, hospital acquired MSRA post surgical infections.  As I am now 80, my risk factor is high, especially with knee replacement surgery being quite high on the list of surgeries resulting in HIA's. Adding to the risk is that both knees need replacement.  It's unlikely that both could be replaced in one surgery so two separate surgeries would be necessary.

Clearly, I have some difficult risk/lifestyle decisions to make.

I actually had that exact surgery in June this year, 3 bone spurs removed in my right Knee as well as the medial and lateral meniscus trimmed. Surgery took an hour, and I was on crutches for 20 days. I would say the surgery was a complete success. My knee feels the best it has in at least 3 years. The pain I got going down the stairs is gone as well as the stiffness after sitting for long periods. Cost ฿265,000 at Bangkok hospital (Phetchaburi 47), worth every penny to the difference it made to me physically (and mentally). Much less involved then a knee replacement and a quicker recovery time. I would add adhering to the physio regime post surgery accounts for 40% of the overall success. They have worked me incorrectly hard in each hour long session but I've seen the benefits every week. Feel free to DM me for more details

Edited by London Boy
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, London Boy said:

I actually had that exact surgery in June this year, 3 bone spurs removed in my right Knee as well as the medial and lateral meniscus trimmed. Surgery took an hour, and I was on crutches for 20 days. I would say the surgery was a complete success. My knee feels the best it has in at least 3 years. The pain I got going down the stairs is gone as well as the stiffness after sitting for long periods. Cost ฿265,000 at Bangkok hospital (Phetchaburi 47), worth every penny to the difference it made to me physically (and mentally). Much less involved then a knee replacement and a quicker recovery time. I would add adhering to the physio regime post surgery accounts for 40% of the overall success. They have worked me incorrectly hard in each hour long session but I've seen the benefits every week. Feel free to DM me for more details

Super helpful information: Thank you.  Was the B265K for a single knee?   Did they discuss the possibility of bone spur re-occurrence?  

4 minutes ago, dddave said:

Super helpful information: Thank you.  Was the B265K for a single knee?   Did they discuss the possibility of bone spur re-occurrence?  

Yes just one knee, but I'd add another 20k onto the costs for all the follow up, physio etc. It may reoccur or it may not, depending on lifestyle. I think mine occurred from playing football on hard surfaces for many, many years, so If I give that up, less chance of it reoccurring. I also had a friend in New Zealand have the same surgery, after years of running. Shes recovered and has gone back to running daily at 62. Everyone's knees are different, but remember a knee replacement is the end game, if you can delay that as long as possible, that would be my preference.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

More to the point -- did you have severe osteoarthritis? As bone spur removal usually nto worthwhile in that instance.

It was grade 2/3. Even after trimming the meniscus I had 80% left, so in those circumstances well worth while. But more importantly, they way it has felt since I've recovered has definitely been the right choice.

• Like 1