Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

On 10/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, jerrymahoney said:

From the AMCHAM post above:

- Any transfers into the country will need to be declared. To avoid double taxation, you will need to file taxes in Thailand yearly and claim exemption.

If the DTA between the USA and Thailand says so, then so be it.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Puccini said:

If the DTA between the USA and Thailand says so, then so be it.

The DTA doesn't say whether you have to file to declare income as under DTA. It also doesn't say that Thailand cannot make you report the income and then apply for the exemption. 

Unless somewhere there is a line of the form that says report income that is subject to DTA. As per the DTA Social Security could not be taxed in any manner.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

The DTA doesn't say whether you have to file to declare income as under DTA. It also doesn't say that Thailand cannot make you report the income and then apply for the exemption. 

Unless somewhere there is a line of the form that says report income that is subject to DTA. As per the DTA Social Security could not be taxed in any manner.

US SSc is specifically excluded from any taxation by any country other than the US, it says so in the DTA between the two countries. For Thai tax purposes it is considered to be disregarded income, I have filed Thai tax returns on that basis for two years, using guidance provided by Region 1 Revenue offices in Chiang Mai..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

US SSc is specifically excluded from any taxation by any country other than the US, it says so in the DTA between the two countries. For Thai tax purposes it is considered to be disregarded income, I have filed Thai tax returns on that basis for two years, using guidance provided by Region 1 Revenue offices in Chiang Mai..

Well if you are saying you have bee advised by RD officialdom, that for Article 20 DTA items, as they cannot be taxed by Thailand at all, and there is no need to file especially if such items are 100% of your Thai income, 

.. that is great info to hear.

• Like 1

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

Well if you are saying you have bee advised by RD officialdom, that for Article 20 DTA items, as they cannot be taxed by Thailand at all, and there is no need to file especially if such items are 100% of your Thai income, 

.. that is great info to hear.

US SSc payments are not Thai income, they are overseas income payments received in Thailand. But I also receive income from the UK every month that is paid into the same bank, that income is not excluded income and is shown on my Thai tax return.

26 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

For Thai tax purposes it is considered to be disregarded income, I have filed Thai tax returns on that basis for two years, using guidance provided by Region 1 Revenue offices in Chiang Mai..

Can you clarify what you mean with the above comment? In terms of following advice from the local RD...

Are you saying you did the Thai tax filing, included the social security amount, and then claimed it as exempt

or

Are you saying you did the Thai tax filing, and did NOT include any Social Security amounts in it, because they are exempt?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So if e.g. you receive 50,000 baht per month in US Social Security and that is 100% of the  money you transfer to Thailand as a monthly deposit in a Thai bank, there is no need to file a Thai Income tax form. 

That's a very good question.... and the same question would apply for folks whose only incoming funds are sourced from U.S. government pensions, including ex-military, I'd presume.

14 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Can you clarify what you mean with the above comment? In terms of following advice from the local RD...

Are you saying you did the Thai tax filing, included the social security amount, and then claimed it as exempt

or

Are you saying you did the Thai tax filing, and did NOT include any Social Security amounts in it, because they are exempt?

The latter, the RD didn't even want it shown on the tax return.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

So if e.g. you receive 50,000 baht per month in US Social Security and that is 100% of the  money you transfer to Thailand as a monthly deposit in a Thai bank, there is no need to file a Thai Income tax form. 

Logically, yes.

• Like 1

Here's a conundrum:

What if a long stay expat, Thai resident for tax purposes, remits income to their bank account in Thailand but the account is a non-resident account? That means the account earns no interest and doesn't need permissions etc to repatriate the funds. As long as said expat has no income from inside Thailand, are those funds subject to Thai tax? I don't see how they can be, given that the account is specifically non-resident.

5 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

You can go ahead and continue to believe whatever you want.  But I can ssure everyone that all Thai Banks keep a record of all foreign remittances into Thailand, and that especially includes all foreigner's bank accounts which is whgat this is all about - remittances into foreigner's accounts. I can also assure everyone, that if the Thai RD requests (for any valid reason) that the banks provide the details of all foreign depositis into anyone's bank account's (Thai or Foreigners), that the Thai banks can and will comply.  

I completely agree, that is the function of the banks Treasury Department who provides the consolidated data to BOT. 

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

It would be a global blockbuster if Thailand would rip up their bank secrecy laws in a rug pull for +15 million foreign accounts, and then putting a random flat tax on all transfers. For all I know, the only one actually believing in this is @TroubleandGrumpy

You are being an abusibe troll - I am not arguing that at all.  I am sayinbg that the Thai banks DO record all foreign remittances into Thailand and that the Thai RD CAN request those details for any tax resident (Thai or Foreigner). 

"Bank secrecy laws" - no such thing when any tac dept is checking up on someone - especially in Thailand.

"Global blockbuster" - mate you have a surreal opinion of your/our importance. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mike Lister said:

is it really taxation if you have to file in thailand, pay tax on it and then deduct it off later or get a refund?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

is it really taxation if you have to file in thailand, pay tax on it and then deduct it off later or get a refund?

It's part of the same process that many countries go through, pay tax, account for it at year end and then pay extra or get a refund.

10 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Take a deep breath and read the post again, slowly.

"a resident of Thailand and a resident of Thailand for tax purposes are not the same. Someone here on a long stay visa is not a resident of Thailand, only a Thai citizen or a person who has been granted residency can be a Thai resident".

Last time responding to a reality misunderstanding resulting from a failure to read all the posts. This has been discussed and clarified many times - but just for you.

1.Taxable Person

Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

Personal Income Tax | The Revenue Department (English Site) (rd.go.th)

11 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

As long as said expat has no income from inside Thailand, are those funds subject to Thai tax? I don't see how they can be, given that the account is specifically non-resident.

If assessable income earned by a Thai tax resident is remitted to Thailand by a Thai tax resident, it is taxable.   

I believe the sole purpose of a non-resident account is to allow you to hold and trade with foreign exchange / currency.  But it's still your Thai bank account (and I believe you get charged a fee in lieu equal to the dollar - baht conversion fee, anyway). 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Last time responding to a reality misunderstanding resulting from a failure to read all the posts. This has been discussed and clarified many times - but just for you.

1.Taxable Person

Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

Personal Income Tax | The Revenue Department (English Site) (rd.go.th)

This is going to be painful, I already know!

That's all fine and good from a RD tax perspective but the term "resident" has a broader meaning in the context of citizenship and residency. So when the likes of you and I or any other two non-Thai's use the term "resident", it need qualification. The fact the document above attempts to quantify the terms "resident" and "non-resident" and begins with a definition of Resident (capitalised) and then in the same sentence reverts back to "resident", shows even the RD is not consistent on this point and is slightly confused. A person is (a) Resident for citizenship and Immigration purposes, aka, a Thai national or a naturalised foreigner, or, they are on a visa or an extension of stay, in which case they are not Residents. Similarly, a foreign subject in Thailand can be resident for tax purposes or not-resident for tax purposes. Lastly, a person like you or I who are not Thai are not Residents but we are resident for tax purposes (presumably).

Lastly, if you keep your cool and stay polite, we can debate (or not), if you don't, we won't.

• Like 1

Firstly - the USA has a different arrangement with all other countries than anyone else, and enforces those rules strongly, and everyone complies.  US citizens are liable to pay income tax to USA wherever they reside in the world.

Secondly - has the Thai RD stated that the current situation will not change in any way after Ja1 2024 and the 2025 taxation returns.

Thirdly - I have said many times in past posts that DTAs are different for everyone else than the USA who does not 'allow' its citizens to be taxed overseas, except under specific situations (individually approved).

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Firstly - the USA has a different arrangement with all other countries than anyone else, and enforces those rules strongly, and everyone complies.  US citizens are liable to pay income tax to USA wherever they reside in the world.

Secondly - has the Thai RD stated that the current situation will not change in any way after Ja1 2024 and the 2025 taxation returns.

Thirdly - I have said many times in past posts that DTAs are different for everyone else than the USA who does not 'allow' its citizens to be taxed overseas, except under specific situations (individually approved).

Yes, all DTA's are different.

Here's a conundrum:

What if a long stay expat, Thai resident for tax purposes, remits income to their bank account in Thailand but the account is a non-resident account? That means the account earns no interest and doesn't need permissions etc to repatriate the funds. As long as said expat has no income from inside Thailand, are those funds subject to Thai tax? I don't see how they can be, given that the account is specifically non-resident.

I was unaware that one could open a bank account in Thailand as a non-resident.

Last century, I had a couple of US bank accounts that I was allowed to open as a non-resident visiting employee of an American company. I worked on their foreign operations but attended and eventually ran frequent training courses for their foreign clients in the US. Those two earlier accounts didn't have a tax ID as I didn't have or need a US Social Security Number at that time (paid overseas). Accordingly, they didn't attract any interest either. All legal and above board.

Later, as a full-time employee based in the US, I opened a new account that did have the SSN/TIN as I was paying taxes. Some time after 9/11, the Homeland Security Act tightened up on non-resident accounts and US banks were legally compelled to check on all accounts. Without contacting me or asking my permission, my non-resident "tax free" account suddenly had my SSN attached to them. I guess the basic name, date of birth and place of birth identity check was enough for them to make the link.

Maybe the Thai RD will do the same here since every nation is on the tax grab these days. A couple of Indian managers I worked with last month were taking a 10-day stopover on the way home from work in Malaysia so that they don't breach India's 180-day tax-resident law.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

Tried searching 77 pages of this thread without an answer:-

Does anyone know how they intend to collect tax our incoming (Wise) transfers (if this BS is to be believed)?

Do they expect my KBank to garnish xx% of the 65K Baht I bring in every month to satisfy my retirement extn. requirements in the form of with holding tax? As they do with the piddily amount of interest I receive!

Edited by bdenner
Typo