Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

24 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Be careful mate.  That will bring you to their attention.  

When I asked my wife why other Thai wives/GFs were not complkainig, she said because that will mean that they get 'noticed' and it is always better to not get noticed by any Thai Govt person or office.

Indeed, not wise to show yourself volantarily. 

I might look into changing my name????

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That tactic could work in a rational rule-based country, but it will not work here.  And this is something that everyone needs to hear about - Thailand is NOT a rules-based society.  Saying 'but that is the rule' means nothing to any Thai who has been told the rule is applied 'this way'.  So if that tactic is found out about, the Thai Officer will (and can) decide that the Expat was deliberately avoiding taxes and hit them with a bill and fine. Good Luck getting his/her Superviser to reverse that decision. Good Luck appealing against that decision.  In fact Good Luck challenging anything any Thai RD Officer decides is the rule. Not only will an Expat not win, it will cost them money to find out that they cant win. That is the legal reality of Thailand for Expats - you have very little if any legal rights.  Now if an Expat has the ability to get a wife/friend to sit down with that Thai person and talk it out and through and do what is needed 'the Thai way' then that Expat might have success.  But if an Expat quotes the rules at an official Thai person and think that the rule matters - they are very wrong.

Put a sock in it. :coffee1:

• Thanks 1

In addition, various "potential" ways to overcome (specific to some people).

• Own company overseas which pays a dividend/salary (recommend Dividend).
    • Company does a loan for amount owed annually (lump sum)
      • Lawyers countersign/translate.
        • Remitted funds are NOT income but a Loan covered by overseas debt which is serviced by your next Annual Dividends. 
  • Own a overseas Credit Card
    • Credit Cards are 'Credit Lines' covered under Debt, you are not remitting funds, and your annual overseas Dividends/Other will service that Debt.

These are two areas I expect to play out in the Thai courts, and expect to be challenged, but Credit in no country is Remittance, however Thailand will likely claim otherwise especially if the person doesn't routinely leave Thailand during the periods.

Note Thailand doesn't charge tax for Bullion/Gold (may change) - Selling Gold overseas would be contestable within Thailand as it's tax free in Thailand. 

Other manners to get funds is a quick flight to KL and fly back in with the max (9.5k?) which carries some risk, but ultimately is legal.

18 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I actually phoned the revenue office (bangkok).

Money earned overseas, and or as a business owner overseas regardless of tax overseas or not, is tax free unless remitted and then taxed, this includes companies which say are overseas in tax havens, and say don't have substance in the overseas location (otherwise hire someone on Fiverr on a permanent contract and use their home as the office). 

Money from property (rent / sale) overseas will be treated as Income when remitted (this will <deleted> a few people).

Money in the form of 'not in the bank account' - say cash or even stablecoins (thankfully public) whereby savings and remitted, is tax free *IF* it was earned before and/or tax was collected, having said that any funds earned in 2023 and remitted will be taxed as Income, evidence to support it is savings is a must, for pre-2023.

Money extracted from stock market activities, principle is tax free, ROI is treated as Income if remitted to Thailand.

Elite Visa holders 'reportedly' spend around 30,000$ a year (such a low number and I am one of them so not sure where they are getting that from) anyway they will be taxed as Income like everyone else.

Pensioners are in for a whammy though... State Pension is tax free as the State will have dealt with that, your private pensions on the other hand will be treated as Income and taxed, note some countries charge tax anyway, the terms of some of the treaties outline that Thailand will provide a credit for the tax paid, what you need to recognise is that is specifically on the $ (equivalent) amount 'earned' and 'remitted' meaning in some countries (say the UK) there is something like a tax exemption of 13/14,000 GBP, whereas in Thailand there is a tax exemption of 150,000 THB + (60,000 THB - needs verification), so from the 150,000 THB onwards you'd be taxed at the standard Thai rates.

Note the Government is pushing through higher income for Thais, with luck they also increase the Tax levels upwards... also note 96%+ of Thais don't pay tax (and earn enough just they do not declare it or feel they should not be productive members of society) - the Government has commenced populistic politics which is what specifically has led to the downfall of our own countries (deficit spending and populistic appeal) - in this latest move we are the ones, alongside the productive members of Thai society paying for the populistic policies such as a free 10,000 THB bribe etc.

This appears to be the start of the road our own Governments went down, and will need to be factored in before individual property appraisals and tax there etc.

Likewise I am somewhat surprised no one has complained that for example, in the time i've been in Thailand, i've seen not one but two exit taxes created, and not one but three entry taxes created under the promise of this or that and then folded into the flight ticket.

Somewhere the Thai Government has some major economic hurdles that haven't revealed themselves as of yet, and they are appearing to consolidate into causing more long-term hardship (like our own debasing currencies) by compounding what ever the issue is with populistic vote buying. 

Edited by Jenkins9039

Not sure if this was ever fully addressed, but two questions:

1. Does the new interpretation order mean Thailand intends to tax all residents (over 180 days) on their entire "Global Income"? Or does it mean they only plan to tax foreign remittances/income brought into Thailand each year from one's global income that same year?

2. Are foreign pension incomes under the Long Term Resident visa for "Wealthy Pensioners" (5+5 years) considered exempt from all income taxation, or does that rule refer only to 'earned income' that is non-taxable? (in other words, could they still tax the pension income (passive income), but not 'earned income' from foreign sources?). Yes, I've read the BOI Website on this, but it's not clear either. 

12 minutes ago, Aldo123 said:

Not sure if this was ever fully addressed, but two questions:

1. Does the new interpretation order mean Thailand intends to tax all residents (over 180 days) on their entire "Global Income"? Or does it mean they only plan to tax foreign remittances/income brought into Thailand each year from one's global income that same year?

2. Are foreign pension incomes under the Long Term Resident visa for "Wealthy Pensioners" (5+5 years) considered exempt from all income taxation, or does that rule refer only to 'earned income' that is non-taxable? (in other words, could they still tax the pension income (passive income), but not 'earned income' from foreign sources?). Yes, I've read the BOI Website on this, but it's not clear either. 

Hi matey 

1.  Only money brought into Thailand not Global Income (not sure but I think only the Yanks do that) and that’s for Tax Paying Residents (over 180 days)

2.   I’ve got one of the LTR Pensioner Visas.   I asked about these changes.  Posted this earlier but this was the response from the BOI LTR Team.  They are pretty adamant there won’t be any change for this type of Visa.  Though they don’t mention Pensions in particular which as you point out could be seen as passive income.  Personally I get mine paid in Australia and bring it in only when needed - in the following tax year.  It’s taxed in Australia and I would consider it savings after that.  

“Thank you for your inquiry. On the note of the recent Revenue Department announcement on the new conditions for oversea income that generate from business/ asset or work abroad to be subject for personal income tax. 

We would like to address that for the LTR tax benefits: the revenue department has already announced a royal decree to exempt the LTR- Wealthy Global/ Wealthy Pension/ Work from Thailand from paying the income tax derived from oversea business/ work and assets. Therefore the change in conditions will not effect the exemption of the LTR mentioned group. 

Therefore, we can assure you that the incentive of the LTR visa is still the same. We also believe the revenue department will shortly give an official clarification also as it is their main responsibility and we will work with them to get the procedure for future assistance i.e. to address when you wire in the money that it is from the work remotely (same as in LTR application)- the revenue can cross check with us if they want, don't worry. 

If you have any further inquiry or find any obstacles, please let us know so we can address the issue with revenue department on your behalf.”

4 minutes ago, SHA 2 BKK said:

Hi matey 

1.  Only money brought into Thailand not Global Income (not sure but I think only the Yanks do that) and that’s for Tax Paying Residents (over 180 days)

2.   I’ve got one of the LTR Pensioner Visas.   I asked about these changes.  Posted this earlier but this was the response from the BOI LTR Team.  They are pretty adamant there won’t be any change for this type of Visa.  Though they don’t mention Pensions in particular which as you point out could be seen as passive income.  Personally I get mine paid in Australia and bring it in only when needed - in the following tax year.  It’s taxed in Australia and I would consider it savings after that.  

“Thank you for your inquiry. On the note of the recent Revenue Department announcement on the new conditions for oversea income that generate from business/ asset or work abroad to be subject for personal income tax. 

We would like to address that for the LTR tax benefits: the revenue department has already announced a royal decree to exempt the LTR- Wealthy Global/ Wealthy Pension/ Work from Thailand from paying the income tax derived from oversea business/ work and assets. Therefore the change in conditions will not effect the exemption of the LTR mentioned group. 

Therefore, we can assure you that the incentive of the LTR visa is still the same. We also believe the revenue department will shortly give an official clarification also as it is their main responsibility and we will work with them to get the procedure for future assistance i.e. to address when you wire in the money that it is from the work remotely (same as in LTR application)- the revenue can cross check with us if they want, don't worry. 

If you have any further inquiry or find any obstacles, please let us know so we can address the issue with revenue department on your behalf.”

Some clarification on those things here, from Sherrings

https://sherrings.com/assessable-income-foreign-sources-thailand.html

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:09 AM, scorecard said:

Could also be that the individual amount of pension received by some folks is under the Thai personl tax threshhold.

Interesting.  I wonder how this would work then...........................

Let's say you are from a country that has a double taxation agreement with Thailand that means tax is paid where it is earned but in that country your income, say a state pension, is below the tax threshold meaning you pay no tax.  Is that money then classed as tax paid?

It is highly likely that many expats in such positions will not get sufficient pension for it to be over the tax threshold in the country where its paid but it will almost certainly be over the Thai tax threshold.  Will that income be classed as taxable in Thailand or assesed for tax in the country where it was paid and therefore exempt?

44 minutes ago, Aldo123 said:

I answered this above.

As per conversation with Revenue Department, Thailand intends to tax ALL income Remitted.

18 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Let's say you are from a country that has a double taxation agreement with Thailand that means tax is paid where it is earned but in that country your income, say a state pension, is below the tax threshold meaning you pay no tax.  Is that money then classed as tax paid?

See my comment above - Yes/No, it would be tax free up-to 150,000 THB and then taxed at Thai rates as Income...

Because you don't get a tax receipt when you don't pay tax.

32 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Interesting.  I wonder how this would work then...........................

It is highly likely that many expats in such positions will not get sufficient pension for it to be over the tax threshold in the country where its paid but it will almost certainly be over the Thai tax threshold.  Will that income be classed as taxable in Thailand or assesed for tax in the country where it was paid and therefore exempt?

Good question and we wait and see.

1 hour ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Money earned overseas, and or as a business owner overseas regardless of tax overseas or not, is tax free unless remitted and then taxed, this includes companies which say are overseas in tax havens, and say don't have substance in the overseas location (otherwise hire someone on Fiverr on a permanent contract and use their home as the office). 

Money from property (rent / sale) overseas will be treated as Income when remitted (this will <deleted> a few people).

Money in the form of 'not in the bank account' - say cash or even stablecoins (thankfully public) whereby savings and remitted, is tax free *IF* it was earned before and/or tax was collected, having said that any funds earned in 2023 and remitted will be taxed as Income, evidence to support it is savings is a must, for pre-2023.

Money extracted from stock market activities, principle is tax free, ROI is treated as Income if remitted to Thailand.

Elite Visa holders 'reportedly' spend around 30,000$ a year (such a low number and I am one of them so not sure where they are getting that from) anyway they will be taxed as Income like everyone else.

Pensioners are in for a whammy though... State Pension is tax free as the State will have dealt with that, your private pensions on the other hand will be treated as Income and taxed, note some countries charge tax anyway, the terms of some of the treaties outline that Thailand will provide a credit for the tax paid, what you need to recognise is that is specifically on the $ (equivalent) amount 'earned' and 'remitted' meaning in some countries (say the UK) there is something like a tax exemption of 13/14,000 GBP, whereas in Thailand there is a tax exemption of 150,000 THB + (60,000 THB - needs verification), so from the 150,000 THB onwards you'd be taxed at the standard Thai rates.

Note the Government is pushing through higher income for Thais, with luck they also increase the Tax levels upwards... also note 96%+ of Thais don't pay tax (and earn enough just they do not declare it or feel they should not be productive members of society) - the Government has commenced populistic politics which is what specifically has led to the downfall of our own countries (deficit spending and populistic appeal) - in this latest move we are the ones, alongside the productive members of Thai society paying for the populistic policies such as a free 10,000 THB bribe etc.

This appears to be the start of the road our own Governments went down, and will need to be factored in before individual property appraisals and tax there etc.

Likewise I am somewhat surprised no one has complained that for example, in the time i've been in Thailand, i've seen not one but two exit taxes created, and not one but three entry taxes created under the promise of this or that and then folded into the flight ticket.

Somewhere the Thai Government has some major economic hurdles that haven't revealed themselves as of yet, and they are appearing to consolidate into causing more long-term hardship (like our own debasing currencies) by compounding what ever the issue is with populistic vote buying. 

One thing I find particularly disgusting about this is the short notice.  It should have been done as an act of parliament for a major change like this with a longish notice period. But Srettha jumped on this unlawful reinterpretation as a great way to counter critics of his stupid unfunded digital wallet and fuel subsidies, even though any tax from this will not arrive till 2025 over a year after the digital wallet is spent and forgotten by the voters.  As it is all many people will not have records of past income, tax credits and bank balances because there was never much need to keep them.

I am even starting to think seriously about leaving for the first time in over 30 years. I will do better in a jurisdiction that taxes global income in the year that it arises but not past income on remittance. I wouldn't mind paying tax on overseas earnings if I had them but being forced to pay tax on past savings remitted just to survive is unacceptable.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

See my comment above - Yes/No, it would be tax free up-to 150,000 THB and then taxed at Thai rates as Income...

Because you don't get a tax receipt when you don't pay tax.

Remebering that personal tax in Thailand is subject to factors (mostly re size, age etc., of family, from memory) which can reduce the final amount on whch any tax is calculated. 

Edited by scorecard

14 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

I wouldn't mind paying tax on overseas earnings if I had them but being forced to pay tax on past savings remitted just to survive is unacceptable.

Can they actually force us to pay tax on past cross border remittances? If so, how many years? 

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Q 10. This deals with a question about a Thai who moves back to Thailand and brings back money earned while spending several years living abroad.  The answer is vague but what they are saying seems to be that such a person had better make sure they bring in all the money in the year before they become tax resident again. Many Thais returning home will get caught by this unwittingly, if they move back before July in any year without understanding this, which is pretty disgusting.  But even more worrying, this doesn't offer any hope for foreigners who are already tax resident and want to remit savings from abroad going way back, if they say the Thai workers savings would taxable if they brought them back after becoming tax resident again.  It seems to imply tough luck, we'll tax your savings at 35%,m whereas the 2003 RD directive was that savings are not taxable.

Isn't this Q9? About Mr D who worked in China many years?

They write that the money accumulated from working in China is tax free when remitted (when coming back to Thailand), because Mr D was not a resident of Thailand when he received and accumulated this money.

So a foreigner who is already a tax resident (and maybe has been a tax resident for years) can bring in savings that accumulated before he ever became a tax resident here. Savings from foreign income from the years he was a tax resident already are taxable whenever remitted to Thailand. 

Good luck proving the time you accumulated your savings!

Well I still think a lot of clarification is needed/will become available soon but............................................

I thought Thailand wanted to promote itself as somewhere to retire to?  It seems to me that taxing pensions that wouldn't be taxable in the country they were paid in is something we call - shooting yourself in the foot, is it not?

I suspect that many pensioners have retired to Thailand because their pension goes further and therefore they can enjoy a better life during their retirement.

I also suspect that those pensioners, who I would add, have no claim to Thai benefits or healthcare. spend a substantial if not massive amount of money in Thailand every month. Some sell their properties back home and buy one/have one built in Thailand - again, income for Thailand.

Many of those people will have seen their pensions worth far less over the last few years due to falling exchange rates.  This may tip the balance and I guess many will be forced to leave.

So will Thailand not actually earn less in tax income?  At least at the moment they get 7% Vat on most things the foreign pensioners buy.

Those 'rich retirees' and business people the Thai government claim to be trying to attract to Thailand will, like they do in most other countries, have ways of avoiding tax and will not be of any use to Thailand in terms of income tax.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

One thing I find particularly disgusting about this is the short notice.  It should have been done as an act of parliament for a major change like this with a longish notice period. But Srettha jumped on this unlawful reinterpretation as a great way to counter critics of his stupid unfunded digital wallet and fuel subsidies, even though any tax from this will not arrive till 2025 over a year after the digital wallet is spent and forgotten by the voters.  As it is all many people will not have records of past income, tax credits and bank balances because there was never much need to keep them.

I am even starting to think seriously about leaving for the first time in over 30 years. I will do better in a jurisdiction that taxes global income in the year that it arises but not past income on remittance. I wouldn't mind paying tax on overseas earnings if I had them but being forced to pay tax on past savings remitted just to survive is unacceptable.

There are 80,000 people on retirement visas in Thailand...

Let's say every one paid 1,000 dollars in Taxes...

That would be 80,000,000 million dollars or about 2,700,000,000 billion baht...

The 10,000 baht give away will cost Thailand 560,000,000,000 billion baht....

It would take the expat's tax money 207 years to pay off the 10,000 baht giveaway......This would take many generations to pay off with expat money...

So I think its VERY VERY clear if they say they need to tax the farangs to help pay for the 10,000 baht giveaway this is total nonsense....Farang taxes will hardly help at all....

In addition, various "potential" ways to overcome (specific to some people).

• Own company overseas which pays a dividend/salary (recommend Dividend).
    • Company does a loan for amount owed annually (lump sum)
      • Lawyers countersign/translate.
        • Remitted funds are NOT income but a Loan covered by overseas debt which is serviced by your next Annual Dividends. 
  • Own a overseas Credit Card
    • Credit Cards are 'Credit Lines' covered under Debt, you are not remitting funds, and your annual overseas Dividends/Other will service that Debt.

These are two areas I expect to play out in the Thai courts, and expect to be challenged, but Credit in no country is Remittance, however Thailand will likely claim otherwise especially if the person doesn't routinely leave Thailand during the periods.

Note Thailand doesn't charge tax for Bullion/Gold (may change) - Selling Gold overseas would be contestable within Thailand as it's tax free in Thailand. 

Other manners to get funds is a quick flight to KL and fly back in with the max (9.5k?) which carries some risk, but ultimately is legal.

I think loans from company bank accounts could work.  However, bear in mind that banks under CRS have now started to lift the corporate veil and will report on the beneficial owners of the company bank accounts.  I think in Switzerland they will report on any shareholder who owns over 25% and they will report on beneficial owners of trusts too.  All this without telling you, unless you ask. Bank secrecy is completely gone there.  If that is not enough, BVI companies now have an obligation to file unaudited accounts with their BVI agents for 2023 onwards.  The accounts are not publicly available but can be revealed to any tax authority that is a part of CRS.  So the RD will know, if you are a beneficial owner of the company that makes the loan, and if it is a BVI company, they will be able to see the company accounts you file with the agent to check it really has loans, has paid dividends, salaries etc.  I imagine unaudited accounts requirement is just the thin end of the wedge and audited accounts may follow later.  Of course it may be hard to find auditors for family holding companies, particularly, if the past unaudited accounts filed were fraudulent. 

The problem I see is that the RD might lift the corporate veil and say a loan from your company is income.  They could also say that, if a loan is not repaid within a certain time frame. If you pay interest on the loan you have to deduct withholding tax. 

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Can they actually force us to pay tax on past cross border remittances? If so, how many years? 

What I meant was past savings that are still overseas and to be remitted in future, not past remittances of past savings.  But yes, they can tax past remittances and can go back 20 years, I think, but only if the remittances comprised earnings in the year they were remitted.  I don't think they will bother with that, particularly as they won't have past CRS information as they only joined this year. They have never bothered with it in the past.

This is not altogether bad news, providing it is accurate and fairly complete. If the "UK State Pension is tax free as the State will have dealt with that", that becomes excluded income and shouldn't be reported on the Thai tax return.

Ditto US SSc income which is only taxable by the US under DTA rules.

The Thai tax return therefore begins with any private pension income and any property rental income. But Thai RD Allowances and deductions for people aged over 65 years total 340,000 baht or about 7,500 Pounds which will reduce the liability for many people, substantially.

Capital Gains on the eventual sale of property will be taxable but the principle will be regarded as savings hence tax .

free.

It seems to me that a tax free income of around 70k Baht per month is easily achievable, before tax becomes due.

11 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

This is not altogether bad news, providing it is accurate and fairly complete. If the "UK State Pension is tax free as the State will have dealt with that", that becomes excluded income and shouldn't be reported on the Thai tax return.

Unfortunately the UK Thai tax treaty doesn't exempt the UK state pension from taxation in Thailand, only government service pensions for civil servants and local government officers. The US treaty does exempt social security.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Unfortunately the UK Thai tax treaty doesn't exempt the UK state pension from taxation in Thailand, only government service pensions for civil servants and local government officers. The US treaty does exempt social security.

That was my understanding also. But if you see Jenkins post earlier on this page he says he spoke with RD in Bangkok and he wrote, "UK State Pension is tax free as the State will have dealt with that". So, dunno, really. It would make sense that State pension would be disregarded but that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Lorry said:

So a foreigner who is already a tax resident (and maybe has been a tax resident for years) can bring in savings that accumulated before he ever became a tax resident here. Savings from foreign income from the years he was a tax resident already are taxable whenever remitted to Thailand........

...........unless it was remittance to the wife totalling not less than 20 Mio per year, from savings (provable but difficult) and on top taxed fully at the point of origin in the year before the remittance (in the past before 01.01.2024 the old rules apply).