Is continuing Injury and Sickness benefits of the Social Security Fund (Volunrary Insurance) available only to foreigners with Permanent Residence?

scorecard

My local Social Security Fund office says continuing Injury and Sickness benefits after retirement and taking a refund of member contributions and paying every month at a Thai bank ((volantary Insurance) in only available to foreigners who have permanent residence. 

Can members who have continued these benefits and pay every month at a Thai bank please confirm (from personal experience) if this is true?

Thanks, appreciated.  

Edited by scorecard

This is completely untrue.

It is available to anyone enrolled in SS provided they mske rhe election within 6 months of keaving work and keep up the payments. 

Many, many  board members have continued their  SS medical benefit after retirement and almost none of  them have petmanent residency.

The Thai SS Act makes no distinction based on nationality or visa type. It is readily avaikable in English online. Suggest you read it.

Also suggest you call the main SS office regarding the issues with your local office. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am wondering what happens to my ss that I paid into for over 15 years and unfortunately left after my last job right as the pandemic started so I couldn’t come back and even get my monthly payments or set up continuing payments online because that’s only for Thais. Can I still go to the ss office when I’m 55 and claim the ss I paid? I’m sure someone else has been through this. 

2 hours ago, jcmj said:

I am wondering what happens to my ss that I paid into for over 15 years and unfortunately left after my last job right as the pandemic started so I couldn’t come back and even get my monthly payments or set up continuing payments online because that’s only for Thais. Can I still go to the ss office when I’m 55 and claim the ss I paid? I’m sure someone else has been through this. 

Call the Social Security Fund 1506 hotline number.

Theres an option to speak to an officer in English but sometimes an English speaker isn't on duty and the automatic machine then continues in Thai language.

If this happens try again same day or perhaps need to wait until the next day because when an English speaker is available you'll  get good attention.  

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Call the Social Security Fund 1506 hotline number.

Theres an option to speak to an officer in English but sometimes an English speaker isn't on duty and the automatic machine then continues in Thai language.

If this happens try again same day or perhaps need to wait until the next day because when an English speaker is available you'll  get good attention.  

Further, the 'Voluntary Insurance" (continue the Injury and Sicknes benefits into the future or for life) by paying membership fees at a Thai bank every month for transfer to the SSF is available to all members, both Thai and foreigners. 

But you need to talk with the 1506 hotline English speaking staff to discuss your personal situation re your eligability to continue. 

Or if you have a Thai wife who is willing to talk to the 1506 hotline staff in Thai then do it that way.

the salary base used to calculate pensions in case of having contributed for over 15 years will be the maximum 15,000 baht, should come out at around 3000 baht per month

if you continue to pay under section 39, the salary base used to calculate your pension will be 4,800, works out to around 900 baht per month

unless you are continuing  treatment already arranged under SS system, and can't get/afford private insurance, not continuing payment and get more of what you paid in back is better.

For Thai nationals there's the universal system they can fall back to which has better coverage than the SS system too.

6 hours ago, jcmj said:

Continuing payments are not only for Thais and can be set up by anyone. However,

the deadline has passed for you to continue your health coverage, that has to be done within 6 months of stopping work.

Regarding the old age benefit (which can be taken as either a lump sum or monthly payments)  assuming you paid into the system for at least 180 months, you are eligible as soon as you turn 55 but need to file a claim for it promptly then. If you die before age 55, or before receiving the full entitlement, your heirs can claim it.

You may also have been entitled to an unemployment benefit  once you lost your job  but you needed to have filed a claim within one year of becoming unemployed.

Strongly suggest you contact the SS office for complete explanation of your entitltements.

• Thanks 2

I believe many answers have diverted from the initial subject matter of the question. 

Or perhaps the question has not been formulated well, but I'm currently experiencing a similiar situation. I've stopped employment and thus contributing under section 33 from SSO and have applied within 1 month after stopping with working at SSO to apply under section 39 to continue paying on inidvidual basis. The answer was I need to produce/ show a Tabian Baan, which I do not have. certificate of residence is not sufficient enough. Has anyone heard of this and whether there's a solution to this?

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

In what ways is the universal system better than the SS?

SS approved medicine list is more restrictive, the doctor would have to tiptoe around what they can prescribe

Acute Diseases treatment like cancer is better on the Universal system, on SS they just cut you off chemo if you've reached their threshold

Dental on SS you have to pay out of pocket to be reimbursed, and quite limited compared to universal system, but getting appointment at local government hospital will be a drag

Only plus of SS is that you can designate private hospital as your primary care, but private hospital will shove you in SS wing with wait times similar to government hospital, but at least the nurses won't bark at you like poor people. some Private hospital do have external clinics for SS you can visit which is nice for not so serious needs.

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

SS approved medicine list is more restrictive, the doctor would have to tiptoe around what they can prescribe

Acute Diseases treatment like cancer is better on the Universal system, on SS they just cut you off chemo if you've reached their threshold

Dental on SS you have to pay out of pocket to be reimbursed, and quite limited compared to universal system, but getting appointment at local government hospital will be a drag

Only plus of SS is that you can designate private hospital as your primary care, but private hospital will shove you in SS wing with wait times similar to government hospital, but at least the nurses won't bark at you like poor people. some Private hospital do have external clinics for SS you can visit which is nice for not so serious needs.

Interesting as I got SS when I was a foreigner, but now I'm Thai and could have either.

Why am I paying 432 baht a month for an inferior service? I can't get any private hospital where I live(Hua HIn).

4 hours ago, Ook said:

I believe many answers have diverted from the initial subject matter of the question. 

Or perhaps the question has not been formulated well, but I'm currently experiencing a similiar situation. I've stopped employment and thus contributing under section 33 from SSO and have applied within 1 month after stopping with working at SSO to apply under section 39 to continue paying on inidvidual basis. The answer was I need to produce/ show a Tabian Baan, which I do not have. certificate of residence is not sufficient enough. Has anyone heard of this and whether there's a solution to this?

The solution is to call the main SS office in Nonrhaburi or hotline (1506).  Preferrably while at local SS iffuce and have them talk to  the staff there after you explain the isdmsue. 

What you are being told is incorrect but many local SS offices have no experience processing this for foreigners.

You might also try showing the landlord's Tabian Ban plus your rental contract.

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Interesting as I got SS when I was a foreigner, but now I'm Thai and could have either.

Why am I paying 432 baht a month for an inferior service? I can't get any private hospital where I live(Hua HIn).

Exactly, and by continuing SS payment after (section 39) you've left your job will means reduced pension payout as the final salary used to calculate the pension will now be 4800 instead of 15,000 maximum you were based on during your employment,  that's the difference between 3000 (or more if you've been contributing over 15 years) and 960 baht under section 39 you'll lose off your pension, let alone the 432 baht a month extra it'll cost you  

So work out your pension you stand to receive first before deciding to continue payment

If you've worked and pay into SS for less than 15 years, the pension maybe negligible to not care and having access to government hospital if you're not Thai could be a lifesaver

You can get it, have done it myself, Main office will confirm but you can't do it through them.

As above, need to have your yellow housebook/tabian baan and pink ID card to do it - this was the real difficult part.

Some offices are very difficult even in bangkok, I managed to get it through the second one after first one would not do it.

Finally trying to setup auto debit for it now as I have to go into bank every month currently, I beleive need to setup a bank account using your new pink ID card and yellow book to get this to work too.

I would possibly ask head office if you need to do in Chiang Mai, if not then go somewhere easier

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Exactly, and by continuing SS payment after (section 39) you've left your job will means reduced pension payout as the final salary used to calculate the pension will now be 4800 instead of 15,000 maximum you were based on during your employment,  that's the difference between 3000 (or more if you've been contributing over 15 years) and 960 baht under section 39 you'll lose off your pension, let alone the 432 baht a month extra it'll cost you  

So work out your pension you stand to receive first before deciding to continue payment

If you've worked and pay into SS for less than 15 years, the pension maybe negligible to not care and having access to government hospital if you're not Thai could be a lifesaver

I took the lump sum payment 2 years ago, so don't get a pension. 

The decision I have to make is whether to continue with SS or go for the universal.

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I took the lump sum payment 2 years ago, so don't get a pension. 

The decision I have to make is whether to continue with SS or go for the universal.

lump sum is only available for those with less than 15 years (180months) contribution, the catch for self contribution where it'll reduce the pension only applies for those that has paid in for 15 years or over, 

also another catch where if you quit before 55 and by continuing to pay under section 39 brings your contribution to over180 months then you can't have the lump sum when you turn 55

6 hours ago, redinvestor said:

You can get it, have done it myself, Main office will confirm but you can't do it through them.

As above, need to have your yellow housebook/tabian baan and pink ID card to do it - this was the real difficult part.

Some offices are very difficult even in bangkok, I managed to get it through the second one after first one would not do it.

Finally trying to setup auto debit for it now as I have to go into bank every month currently, I beleive need to setup a bank account using your new pink ID card and yellow book to get this to work too.

I would possibly ask head office if you need to do in Chiang Mai, if not then go somewhere easier

i'm aware of a farang who pays his monthly member contributions or his Voluntary Insurance (continued Injury and Sickness benefits) from an existing standard savings account. The SSF gave him the name of the government bank, the account name and account number. 

He put the  name of the government bank, the account name and account number into the list of 'favorites' in his K Biz cyber banking and he's been using this to make monthly payments.

Further he's recently added this detail to his K+ app and set it up for automatic payment on the 1st of each month. 

18 hours ago, scorecard said:

He put the  name of the government bank, the account name and account number into the list of 'favorites' in his K Biz cyber banking and he's been using this to make monthly payments.

Further he's recently added this detail to his K+ app and set it up for automatic payment on the 1st of each month. 

I just gave the SS my bank account and they take it off every month.  Krung Thai bank.

On 9/23/2023 at 12:12 PM, digbeth said:

lump sum is only available for those with less than 15 years (180months) contribution,

That's what I understood but a foreign colleague who recently retired received the lump sum with about 20 years of contributions. He wasn't given a choice, or at least unaware that monthly pension might have been an option?

1 hour ago, KhaoNiaw said:

That's what I understood but a foreign colleague who recently retired received the lump sum with about 20 years of contributions. He wasn't given a choice, or at least unaware that monthly pension might have been an option?

There is a widespread problem of foreigners not knowing/not being told their options with regard to SS.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is a widespread problem of foreigners not knowing/not being told their options with regard to SS.

My own lack of complete, correct knowledge goes back to the day HR told me (and several other foreigners who had just joined the company) that the SSF is a Compulsory savings plan and nothing more.

I'm wondering why to continue Injury and Sickness benefits using the ongoing Voluntary Insurance scheme the SSF wants to see the foreigners name in a  Yellow Tabien Baan TB book?

Name in Yellow TB book plus pink ID card is a requirement to get approval for Injury and Sickness benefits to continue using the Voluntary Insurance scheme (member pays their monthly contribution at a Thai bank for tansfer to the SSF).

I have Thai Permanent Residence PR (27 years) therefore my name is in the typical dark ble covered TB book. The SSF says this is not aceptable, must be a yellow TB book. 

Why?

(The yellow TB book is used for foreigners who have a long-term Visa (Visa is a key word because visas have an expiry date, some can be renewed but renewal is not automatic.

On the other hand PR holders are entered in the dark blue TB book because their approval to be in Thailand is for lifetime / permanent (cheewit), same as citizens). The pink ID card issued to PR holders shows 'cheewit' in the expiry date section bottom centre of the pink card. Cheewit is the Thai word for lifetime).

Edited by scorecard

On 9/23/2023 at 6:52 AM, Ook said:

Call the SSF 1506 hotline, There's an option to connect to an English speaking officer. 

However sometimes there's no English speaker on duty on this line. Call back until you do get an English speaker, worthwhile because they listen and you'll  get good advice. 

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

I'm wondering why to continue Injury and Sickness benefits using the ongoing Voluntary Insurance scheme the SSF wants to see the foreigners name in a  Yellow Tabien Baan TB book?

Name in Yellow TB book plus pink ID card is a requirement to get approval for Injury and Sickness benefits to continue using the Voluntary Insurance scheme (member pays their monthly contribution at a Thai bank for tansfer to the SSF).

I have Thai Permanent Residence PR (27 years) therefore my name is in the typical dark ble covered TB book. The SSF says this is not aceptable, must be a yellow TB book. 

Obviously this is incorrect.

Speak to the head office  

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Obviously this is incorrect.

Speak to the head office  

Thanks Dr. Sheryl, I've already spoken to them. The SSF HO officers seem to not understand this subject at all. I've since spoken to a snr. lady at the national administration office (they supervise all amphur offices and develop the actual processes / documenaton etc. She speaks excellent English and was surprised (and a bit angry*) when I explained the situation. (*angry because she realised that an instruction on this very subject was written but never sent out.).

She commented that the dark blue covered book, actually supersedes the yellow book (yellow book  exists to record foreigners who  have long-term visas. The key word (re yellow book) is Visa, meaning that it must have an expiry date but many visas can be renewed on application but no guarantee of renewal). 

Whereas any person (Thai or Foreigner with PR) who is recorded in the blue book is in that book permenantly (lifetime*) therefore SSF should see this as a guarantee the foreigner will always 'qualify' to continue Voluntary SSF Insurance. and therefore there should be no hesitation for the SSF to accept the dark blue book.

(*unless the foreigner is convicted of a criminal offenseand sentenced to a jail term.)

She mentioned she would call the snr. lawyer at the SSF today and sort it out, then call me back.

Step by step, it's a long road. 

• 6 months later...
On 9/26/2023 at 4:14 AM, scorecard said:

Why?

(The yellow TB book is used for foreigners who have a long-term Visa (Visa is a key word because visas have an expiry date, some can be renewed but renewal is not automatic.

On the other hand PR holders are entered in the dark blue TB book because their approval to be in Thailand is for lifetime / permanent (cheewit), same as citizens). The pink ID card issued to PR holders shows 'cheewit' in the expiry date section bottom centre of the pink card. Cheewit is the Thai word for lifetime).

Some months later. I called the 1506 hotline and spoke to a SSO lawyer. I explained my name is in the typical dark blue covered Tabien Baan book because I have Thai Permanent Residence PR (27 years). 

The SSO lawyer shared that most SSO staff in local offices have very little/ zero  knowledge of the different coloured TB books and sme for different types of visas / PR etc.

She said she would call the CM SSO office and explain all of this to them. Soon after the Snr. officer from the CM office called me and shared that he now understood and my name in the dark blue TB book (he already had a copy) was totally acceptable.

• Like 1