Fake licence plate lands young Thai man in prison

snoop1130

สกรีนช็อต-2023-09-21-132013.jpg

A young Thai man faces five years in prison after he was arrested by Ubon Ratchathani Highway Police for using a fake red licence plate. The suspect had a genuine plate but claimed he used the fraudulent one to make his vehicle look cool. The police suspect he was trying to evade traffic tickets.

Forging government documents, such as licence plates, can lead to a five-year prison sentence.

The arrest was made today, under the command of Police Lieutenant Colonel Charoenkiat Pankaew, the Provincial Police Region, and several other officers of high rank.

Narong Somsen, Deputy 4th Highway Police Substation, 6th Highway Police Station, along with police officers from the 4th Highway Police Substation, 6th Highway Police Station, set up a checkpoint at kilometre 352 on Highway 24, Thung Theing Sub-district, Det Udom District, Ubon Ratchathani Province, to arrest criminal offenders within their jurisdiction, reported KhaoSod.

While at the checkpoint, a suspicious Chevrolet Colorado was spotted. The grey vehicle, heading from Kantharalak District, Sisaket Province to Det Udom District, Ubon Ratchathani Province, appeared to have been used for a long time, but it had a red plate attached.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A young Thai man faces five years in prison after he was arrested by Ubon Ratchathani Highway Police for using a fake red licence plate.

Headlines getting more sensational by the day. Notice the report says "FACES" the headline says "LANDS", not the same at all. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, DavisH said:

What's the fine for all those spray painted white number plates (usually the rear plate) I've been seeing in increasing numbers?

Whenever I got a speeding camera fine, it showed the FRONT number plate.

• Haha 1

I guess it allows you to evade red light jumping fines since they show the rear of the vehicle the traffic light simultaneously.

Also handy for hit and runs I expect.

I see them all the time in KK city, you'd thing the cops would do something but they must be way way too busy with more important things.

23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
3 hours ago, marin said:

Headlines getting more sensational by the day. Notice the report says "FACES" the headline says "LANDS", not the same at all. 

That would be because he hasn't been convicted of anything, yet.  

not really what the commenter was getting at lou. saying lands in the headline insinuates that he is already in jail. then they go on to say faces which means the possibility.

extremely poor use of words by the source. 

• Like 2