Fire Extinguisher

moogradod

I would like to buy a fire extinguisher for our house similar to the attached picture (Class A, B, C). Must be in a wooden box max width 62cm. Area around Pattaya if possible.

Any experience from somebody where I may get it ?

Thanks

Fire-extinguishere.jpg

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Just a little bit of info. Fire extinguishers should be fitted outside. And especially never in the room you expect a fire.  

I understand one idea behind it, but this solution has one big disadvantage: The accessability. Fire = quick reaction needed. Now if you have a fire in the kitchen - where it will most probably happen (My Ex-Wife nearly burned down the whole house with overheated oil on the oven while chatting in the livingroom) you need quick access to the extinguisher. Maybe you would not like to leave the house for that first.

1 hour ago, couchpotato said:

You can buy at Thai Watsadu. They also have steel cabinets with a glass front.

Have never seen a wooden cabinet (as shown) before. Maybe you can get it made custom by a carpenter.

Thanks. Will have a look. I know these steel cabinets. Unfortunately it would look like we live in a factory after installation.

A carpenter woud be fine and indeed they have even here woodworkers who may work precisely. But they would need to fit some steel cramps inside as well. I will ask around. It is not impossible, just a bit difficult. I always have high expectations, but I will start at Thai Watsadu.

• Like 1

Just a little bit of info. Fire extinguishers should be fitted outside. And especially never in the room you expect a fire.  

To those confused at my comment, you need to think about when a room catches fire the first thing is to get out, then grab the extinguisher. well the UK fire service could be wrong but I doubt that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, quake said:

Don't forget to install smokes alarms.

Smoke will get you before the flame when your asleep. 

Yes, thank you. The house will anyway be stuffed with all kind of alarm systems, sirens, cameras, contact alarms, even bullet proof glass. One of the systems may easily extended to include smoke (gas) alarm.

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thanks. Will have a look. I know these steel cabinets. Unfortunately it would look like we live in a factory after installation.

A carpenter woud be fine and indeed they have even here woodworkers who may work precisely. But they would need to fit some steel cramps inside as well. I will ask around. It is not impossible, just a bit difficult. I always have high expectations, but I will start at Thai Watsadu.

Here's a shop on the Darkside, that makes custom wooden furniture, I'm sure they can handle making a storage cabinet;

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9187862,100.9284256,3a,55.4y,140.04h,84.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJquSb8maugyZy08FGS27tg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

On 9/23/2023 at 4:13 PM, bbko said:

Here's a shop on the Darkside, that makes custom wooden furniture, I'm sure they can handle making a storage cabinet;

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9187862,100.9284256,3a,55.4y,140.04h,84.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJquSb8maugyZy08FGS27tg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Why would you want steel clamps around the fire extinguisher?  The idea is to be able to get it in use as soon as possible, not to be fiddling around trying to open a clamp.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

Why would you want steel clamps around the fire extinguisher?  The idea is to be able to get it in use as soon as possible, not to be fiddling around trying to open a clamp.  

The placement of fire extinguishers in protective cabinets,  (typically Red in commercial spaces) or being fitted with clamps is common and often required by fire codes. This is especially true for boats, vehicles and similar. 

Both a cabinet and clamp are shown in the attached picture.

Training the normal occupants or users is essential with any safety equipment and the OP’s desired usage in a residential space or similar would be acceptable with the above mentioned training if not in conflict with any Safety or Fire code.

Additionally fire suppression vehicles will have most hand-held extinguishers fitted with clamps to prevent shifting while the vehicle is moving…. 

IMG_7460.jpeg

On 9/23/2023 at 3:05 PM, quake said:

Don't forget to install smokes alarms.

Smoke will get you before the flame when your asleep. 

And what a lot of people don't know is that your sense of smell is gone when you are asleep and its usually the noise of things falling or cackling that wakes you.

I made up a kit using modified standard smoke alarms feeding back to a central control panel that could take up to 10 alarms. I had 8. It checks each one a second apart and if one is sensed to have activated it activated all of them. Believe me when 8 go off at the one time you know about it.

1 hour ago, Dazinoz said:

And what a lot of people don't know is that your sense of smell is gone when you are asleep and its usually the noise of things falling or cackling that wakes you.

I made up a kit using modified standard smoke alarms feeding back to a central control panel that could take up to 10 alarms. I had 8. It checks each one a second apart and if one is sensed to have activated it activated all of them. Believe me when 8 go off at the one time you know about it.

The bells, The bells. :giggle:

Yes, the more the better.

On 9/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, moogradod said:

I understand one idea behind it, but this solution has one big disadvantage: The accessability. Fire = quick reaction needed. Now if you have a fire in the kitchen - where it will most probably happen (My Ex-Wife nearly burned down the whole house with overheated oil on the oven while chatting in the livingroom) you need quick access to the extinguisher. Maybe you would not like to leave the house for that first.

Better leave the wife outside :sorry: and actually yes I would like to leave the room or house first. the only thing I would have in the kitchen is a fire blanket. 

In OZ April 1st is recognized as the day to fit new batteries in smoke alarms, Hard wired alarms are all well and good (still have batteries) but if your wiring catches fire and the battery is dead then no alarm. So I see no point in hard wired smoke alarms.

But it won't look pretty. 

I know you are kidding.

But It won't look pretty after the house burns down either :smile:

The point is that it can be found quickly even by people who don't know where it is . So it needs to stand out, It can't fit with the home decor. 

"In less than 30 seconds a small flame can turn into a major fire.  "

https://www.ready.gov/home-fires#:~:text=In less than 30 seconds,is more threatening than flames.

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I know you are kidding.

But It won't look pretty after the house burns down either :smile:

The point is that it can be found quickly even by people who don't know where it is . So it needs to stand out, It can't fit with the home decor. 

"In less than 30 seconds a small flame can turn into a major fire.  "

https://www.ready.gov/home-fires#:~:text=In less than 30 seconds,is more threatening than flames.

That is an American site who's idea on fighting fires is completely different to the UK fire dept. I'll stick by what I was taught by them.

23 minutes ago, TimeMachine said:

As an aside I like the idea of the exploding powder balls. A fire extinguisher is useless if nobody around to use it. The ball explodes on heat and hopefully extinguishes the nearby fire. Place them every 2m on your ceiling and you are good to go. Hehe.

Sure, this will work really well with a grease fire -NOT!  Putting water on a grease fire is the absolute worst thing you can do and will cause the flaming grease to explode outward, resulting a larger area being on fire and burns to the person who was foolish enough to put water on that grease fire.

Most kitchen fires are stove fires and relatively small.  A small DRY fire CHEMICAL fire extinguisher will do if you get to it quickly.  That is why you want a good smoke detector in your kitchen.  A common place for a kitchen fire extinguisher is attached to the inside a door of the cabinet under the sink.

This 9 Second Discharge DRY CHEMICAL FIRE EXTINGUISHER XFIRE 1A2B 2LB is available at Home Pro for 566Bt, but it is pretty small.  I would suggest its bigger 999Bt brother, 14 Second Discharge DRY CHEMICAL FIRE EXTINGUISHER XFIRE 4A10B 10LB just for safety's sake.

On 9/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, moogradod said:

Ex-Wife?  ????

That is an American site who's idea on fighting fires is completely different to the UK fire dept. I'll stick by what I was taught by them.

I understand the OPs desire to construct an attractive  cabinet to house his fire extinguisher. But also the need for a fire extinguisher to be  Highly visible and easily accessible, Both these things are not mutually exclusives . 

High visibility, so that  people who are not sure of it's location could find it quickly, and easily accessible so that once it is located it can be quickly used. 

Why quickly used? Because fire spreads exponentially, and since physics and the chemistry of fire is not different in the UK from the US , I am sure it is important to locate a fire extinguisher and put it out quickly , in the UK as it is in every other country in the world.

But I always start with the possibility that I could be wrong . So if you could find me a link to a UK site who  suggest that fires do not grow expediential and   that in the event of a fire, time is not an important factor in the ability to extinguish it.  Or something else that is pertinent to what I suggested, I certainly am willing to entertain it.  

Our extinguishers are all hanging on the brackets they came with, big, red and visible.

We also have a fire blanket in the kitchen so that once extinguished the food could still be edible.

As I've noted before, when I rotate our units (buy a new one) I let the family set off the one that's being "retired". Putting out piles of pallets is great fun and educational too.

Considering how long it took the local brigade to arrive and extinguish the fire at a nearby resort I think I may get a couple more :whistling:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

Sure, this will work really well with a grease fire -NOT!  Putting water on a grease fire is the absolute worst thing you can do and will cause the flaming grease to explode outward, resulting a larger area being on fire and burns to the person who was foolish enough to put water on that grease fire.

Most kitchen fires are stove fires and relatively small.  A small DRY fire CHEMICAL fire extinguisher will do if you get to it quickly.  That is why you want a good smoke detector in your kitchen.  A common place for a kitchen fire extinguisher is attached to the inside a door of the cabinet under the sink.

This 9 Second Discharge DRY CHEMICAL FIRE EXTINGUISHER XFIRE 1A2B 2LB is available at Home Pro for 566Bt, but it is pretty small.  I would suggest its bigger 999Bt brother, 14 Second Discharge DRY CHEMICAL FIRE EXTINGUISHER XFIRE 4A10B 10LB just for safety's sake.

Check it out here. 

52 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I understand the OPs desire to construct an attractive  cabinet to house his fire extinguisher. But also the need for a fire extinguisher to be  Highly visible and easily accessible, Both these things are not mutually exclusives . 

High visibility, so that  people who are not sure of it's location could find it quickly, and easily accessible so that once it is located it can be quickly used. 

Why quickly used? Because fire spreads exponentially, and since physics and the chemistry of fire is not different in the UK from the US , I am sure it is important to locate a fire extinguisher and put it out quickly , in the UK as it is in every other country in the world.

But I always start with the possibility that I could be wrong . So if you could find me a link to a UK site who  suggest that fires do not grow expediential and   that in the event of a fire, time is not an important factor in the ability to extinguish it.  Or something else that is pertinent to what I suggested, I certainly am willing to entertain it.  

I will just say in the US water is sprayed on a fire from the top whereas in the UK at the base of a fire, both are effective. TTBOMK