Wise "long term stay" transfer for visa extension

I must be missing something.  Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.   I am new to Wise.  Three weeks ago, I did a test drive and sent $2,000 US from my US bank account converted to baht in my Bangkok Bank account.  On the Wise app, I found the "purpose" list and clicked the "Funds for long term stay" box.  Transfer took a few days and appeared in my Bangkok Bank account as "International Transfer."   All good. 

Today, when I try to do the big transfer, I do not see the "purpose" list or "Funds for long term stay" box anywhere.   Instead, before I complete the transfer, the app has a box where I can type in a "Reference. " And posts this message:  "Reference will not appear in bank statement.  Instead (I) will see the name of Wise's trusted local partner in their country.  The reference will still be available in email to (me)."  Which doesn't seem like it will work at Immigration.

So, I'm wondering whether I'm just overlooking something obvious or if Wise has changed how it handles designating the purpose of transfers.   Any ideas, advice?

Try scrolling the choices menu up to the top. I never use the  "Funds for long term stay" box, but if I recall correctly, it's the first one on the list and doesn't always appear when you bring up the list. 

I've never used the 'reference' box. It serves no purpose as far as immigration is concerned.

10 hours ago, Tom F said:

I must be missing something.  Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.   I am new to Wise.  Three weeks ago, I did a test drive and sent $2,000 US from my US bank account converted to baht in my Bangkok Bank account.  On the Wise app, I found the "purpose" list and clicked the "Funds for long term stay" box.  Transfer took a few days and appeared in my Bangkok Bank account as "International Transfer."   All good. 

Today, when I try to do the big transfer, I do not see the "purpose" list or "Funds for long term stay" box anywhere.   Instead, before I complete the transfer, the app has a box where I can type in a "Reference. " And posts this message:  "Reference will not appear in bank statement.  Instead (I) will see the name of Wise's trusted local partner in their country.  The reference will still be available in email to (me)."  Which doesn't seem like it will work at Immigration.

So, I'm wondering whether I'm just overlooking something obvious or if Wise has changed how it handles designating the purpose of transfers.   Any ideas, advice?

I recently needed to transfer $10,000.00 USD from my usual US bank account to my Bangkok Bank  Account. I monthly transfer $2200.00 for long term stay without any issue. The one large transfer caused a difference in handling, same as you experienced. So, I did two separate $5,000.00 transfers on two different days and all worked as I am used to.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

For me it has always been LAST on the list, or under OTHERS.

I always use the app. I'll have a look the next time I make a transfer. (by which time the O/P will have probably solved the problem)

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:
2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

For me it has always been LAST on the list, or under OTHERS.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I always use the app. I'll have a look the next time I make a transfer. (by which time the O/P will have probably solved the problem)

Ah ha, I think the 'pennies just dropped!'. When scrolling on an App, to scroll down, you move your finger up & vis versa. You're probably right,

As I recall the "Funds for long term stay" option was a later addition to the list by Wise to appease those who needed an international coding on their statements, so it makes sense that it would be at the bottom.

I still think we're on the right track though. It's simply a case of 'search and ye shall find'.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

As I recall the "Funds for long term stay" option was a later addition to the list by Wise to appease those who needed an international coding on their statements, so it makes sense that it would be at the bottom.

You will not last long in Thailand applying that sort of logical reasoning.

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Always works on my Word and here on Asean Now.

It is down to the writer to assure that the Spell Checker has done it's job.

My spell checker is on. And it let pennies pass as it has done just now??????? Grrrr

20 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Try using ther website and not the app. On the website it is at the bottom of the choices. I usually have to scroll down to find it.

That did the trick.  Had to verify identity again, but no big deal.   Why it worked on the website , and not on the app remains a mystery.  But, no matter.  Thanks to all for the help.  Especially, ripstanley.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

I’m thinking of using Wise. What’s the fee for transferring about 5000 GBP from UK to Bangkok Bank account? Anyone know? Thanks

Right now the fee would be 29.05 GBP

Exchange rate is 44.2999 THB/1 GBP

You would receive  220,212.59 THB

Fees and rates vary. The important number is how much you receive.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Right now the fee would be 29.05 GBP

Exchange rate is 44.2999 THB/1 GBP

You would receive  220,212.59 THB

Fees and rates vary. The important number is how much you receive.

Thank you! This seems pretty reasonable.

Looking at posts above quite a few folks seem to be using Wise for transferring money into Thailand. Can't see how such transfers can be taxed if I'm honest. There must be literally tens of millions of bank transfers every single day. How on earth could they effectively tax these?