No potatoes

kidneyw

16 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Doesn't MAKRO sell potatoes?

They do.  The last time I was there there were import and local spuds.  The imports looked better and were cheaper.  38 to 43 THB / kg if my memory serves. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Tops online (not "mail order"!)does not restrict the areas to which it delivers.

But they deliver from a set supermarket for your area and your orders are based on stock at that location.  I use them.

I know that, I don't know what your point is.   Their distribution place where online orders are processed often carries stock that other Tops supermarkets in the area don't have.

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If you can't find potatoes, you're not looking very hard.  You do have to go to more than 1 vendor if you favorite doesn't have.

I'm in small town, and have 2 chain stores and at least 3 fresh markets, that i pass, available during the week.

Surely where most people live there's got to be one on the way to/from the barstool. ????

I did not say I could not find potatoes.

My original query was only about Tops not having them.

As for a barstool. I have lived near the airport for over four years and never visited any bar here ever, Not my scene.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

If you can't find potatoes, you're not looking very hard.  You do have to go to more than 1 vendor if you favorite doesn't have.

I'm in small town, and have 2 chain stores and at least 3 fresh markets, that i pass, available during the week.

Surely where most people live there's got to be one on the way to/from the barstool. ????

Not everyone follows your bar habits..............????

24 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

Correction: I would say no one follows my bar habits.

I don't have any either.  Sitting in a bar, never really interested me, at any age.  I'm never that bored.

Surely not while in the tropics.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:37 PM, kidneyw said:

Is anybody else having trouble finding potatoes in Tops in Bangkok? The two places I use have had none for eleven days, which is highly unusual.

I did find them in Lotus, but these come in plastic mesh bags and are very expensive in comparison to the loose ones at Tops.

The best place to buy potatoes is from an "outside covered" market; freshest and cheapest.

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

why? Not all spuds are the same... are there not different cuts of meat? 

Very little variety (almost none) for potatoes here.  Only 2 I've seen:

... local

... import from China ????

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

The best place to buy potatoes is from an "outside covered" market; freshest and cheapest.

That's definitely not guaranteed.  Ones I've seen in 'fresh markets' look a bit sad.  Don't think I've ever bought them any place else other than Makro, and even there, the selection can be not up to par at times.

Very nice today though ????

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Very little variety (almost none) for potatoes here.  Only 2 I've seen:

... local

... import from China ????

We have Japanese potatoes here - - they have a reddish-purple tint to them and a consistency that has a near radish element to it... they are more expensive too but supposed to have health positives. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, lopburi3 said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Interesting that you chose to feature just the more expensive spuds that Tops have available!

Actually those are the only available from Tops online at my location in Bangkok currently.

I am in Bangkok and, actually, and the spuds that you selected are not the only choice that is available for delivery, either yesterday when we made our posts or right now.  

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I am in Bangkok and, actually, and the spuds that you selected are not the only choice that is available for delivery, either yesterday when we made our posts or right now.  

As I said they indeed are the only Tops bulk potatoes than come up on web site - from Tops Food Hall Central Eastville source which supplies my area of the city.  You may be looking at a different source but there is no choice - you order from the supply center for your area and selection is limited to what they have.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

This is why we don't shop at Lotus's

Why would you expect as cheap a price at Lotus's?  You can take your dog shopping at Latus's - you can't even take your child shopping at Makro (unless they have changed rules).  Makro is a big box store - makes sense for power shopping. exercise and price - not so much for conveyance for most of us.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2023 at 5:49 PM, kidneyw said:

Market here was 75 baht a kilo four years ago. (when they had them). 

Tops at the moment was 65 baht a kilo.

Lotus is 42 baht for three small potatoes.

Pattaya is certainly the best place. Maybe need to move back as the wife suggests.

Because of potatoes?

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Why would you expect as cheap a price at Lotus's?  You can take your dog shopping at Latus's - you can't even take your child shopping at Makro (unless they have changed rules).  Makro is a big box store - makes sense for power shopping. exercise and price - not so much for conveyance for most of us.

I think you need to revisit Makro, depending where you live.  The ones in Hua Hin & Pranburi, are quite different and well stock with western  (processed (no thanks) selection, for the obvious reason.  Along with more selection of some things I might actually buy.

Not so much where we are/PKK, but the Lotus's here doesn't have anything else that Makro has, that would entice me to shop there.

Only time I go in Lotus's is if I'm at Swensen's (in their mall), and I need something.   Which they usually don't have, or overpriced, and I'll just pick up tomorrow at Makro, as I drive by everyday.

Not much our Makro doesn't have, that I need.

Edited by KhunLA