Solid state ExTernal Hard drives

Robin

I looked on Banana IT web-site for SSD hard drives, and surprised to see virtually all were marked as " Out of Stock" 

Is there some world wide shortage I have not heard of, or is Banana  pulling out of selling SSHD's?

No other suppliers locally in Phayao, so will I have t make a trip to Chiang Ri or Bangkok to get a new back-up drive.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

bought the same one 3 months ago and Seagate has the Toolkit software to help with back up, happy with it

I live in Pattaya and have at different times purchased two online from Invade IT.  Over the years, I have also purchased other computer accessories from them.

They are based in Hua Hin and will ship to anywhere in Thailand.  I pay with bank transfer and the items usually ship within 1 to 3 days arriving the following day.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, soisanuk said:

I live in Pattaya and have at different times purchased two online from Invade IT.  Over the years, I have also purchased other computer accessories from them.

They are based in Hua Hin and will ship to anywhere in Thailand.  I pay with bank transfer and the items usually ship within 1 to 3 days arriving the following day.

+1 for Invade IT - used them for years and never a problem.

• Like 1

External SSD's are faster, although with WD passport HD's the first GB goes at 500 MB/s or so then it slows down al lot.

Samsung and other internal and extenal SSD are expensive in Thailand.

The Samsung Portable SSD T7 2 GB : invadeit : 6990 , in my country , I just checked at 38,5/euro :5775 baht.

I'll buy them there when I go next year. That is another 6990 THB they can't tax , when I bring the money in.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Datsun 1200 said:

I got mine at lazada.com and if you don't buy the cheapest, my 2T SSD cost about 600bht and seems good. I use it to backup a MBP with 2T SSD HD

IH

Try formatting it or reading back your data.

There are a lot of high capacity SSD's out there that "appear" to have a large capacity, but in reality throw away the data.  They have a chip on board specifically to enable the scam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Robin said:

I looked on Banana IT web-site for SSD hard drives, and surprised to see virtually all were marked as " Out of Stock" 

Is there some world wide shortage I have not heard of, or is Banana  pulling out of selling SSHD's?

No other suppliers locally in Phayao, so will I have t make a trip to Chiang Ri or Bangkok to get a new back-up drive.

try lazada!!!!

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2023 at 9:43 AM, Robin said:

Isn't there a shop where you can buy an SSD and a separate enclosure to put it? I took my old SSD out of the laptop and bought an enclosure online. You have to be careful to get an enclosure that works with the SSD in question.

4 hours ago, Datsun 1200 said:

I got mine at lazada.com and if you don't buy the cheapest, my 2T SSD cost about 600bht and seems good. I use it to backup a MBP with 2T SSD HD

IH

I would be very suspicious of a 2TB SSD drive for 600 baht. Such items are just not possible. Probably just a quarter capacity Chinese scam drive with tweaked firmware.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, placnx said:

Isn't there a shop where you can buy an SSD and a separate enclosure to put it? I took my old SSD out of the laptop and bought an enclosure online. You have to be careful to get an enclosure that works with the SSD in question.

There are plenty. Just look here:

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/enclosure-box/2-5-enclosure/

9 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Try formatting it or reading back your data.

There are a lot of high capacity SSD's out there that "appear" to have a large capacity, but in reality throw away the data.  They have a chip on board specifically to enable the scam.

Have you checked it yet? I’m fairly convinced at 600 baht that it’s a scam.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, placnx said:

Most SATA to USB caddies, or simple cables should work whatever SSD or PC you are using. If they don't, they are fake.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, KhunBENQ said:

As writte above: checked Advice online and they have a bunch of 500 GB to 1 TB external SSDs.

There was a lot of news about Sandisk (Extreme) having problems with their SSDs failing quickly.

I still stick to HDDs for external backup.

I have googled a lot about this lately, as I'm building a new PC, and the results are mixed.

Some claim that SSD's last longer, while other "experts" claim the exact opposite, especially if you do frequent read/write.

On a popular CCTV forum they all advice against SSD's in a DVR, and say a WU Red will have a much longer reliability,

That said I have WU Blue HDD's which are more than 10 years old, and when I do a reliability test they still score high.

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Most SATA to USB caddies, or simple cables should work whatever SSD or PC you are using. If they don't, they are fake.

No you are fake.

A USB is 5V x 0.5A for USB 2 or 0.9A for USB 3.

An SSD consumes up to 20W, which a USB cable can not provide.

That is why the SATA to USB adapters come with an external power supply

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, BenStark said:

That said I have WU Blue HDD's which are more than 10 years old, and when I do a reliability test they still score high.

You must have lucked out, because I had a real bad run of 3-1/2" WD's of about that vintage.  Especially after the floods that shut down HD production for awhile.

Just now, impulse said:

You must have lucked out, because I had a real bad run of 3-1/2" WD's of about that vintage.  Especially after the floods that shut down HD production for awhile.

Were the Blue or Green?

My WU Greens and Seagates from around that time have mostly failed already.

Just had a look at the 2 WU Blue I have in use, and they are from 2009

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Wrong. Many companies sell external SSDs in a caddie without an external power supply. powered via USB. 

https://solved.scality.com/solved/high-density-power-consumption-hdd-vs-qlc-flash/SSD-vs-HDD-power-consumption-table.png

https://www.quora.com/How-many-amps-is-a-USB-port

A USB-2 port can deliver 500 mA at 5V, half an amp. A USB-3 port can deliver 900 mA. If USB-PD is implemented, which it is on some but not all USB-C ports, they can negotiate up to 5A at 20V.

12 hours ago, doctormann said:

+1 for Invade IT - used them for years and never a problem.

+1. Used them for around 8 years (although nothing for a while now.... naughty me). Spent a few hundred thousand baht with them and the service and advice has always been excellent.