Exclusion on insurance and data sharing

Krabi King

A friend of mine had a health check up done which was paid for by his employer here in Thailand. E was found healthy without significant problems. But on a scan they found a very small nodule on his lungs wich was included in the report but favoured benign and no reason for further examination. 

He totally overlooked that note in the report as it was found to be of no importance and forwarded the report with his (Thai) health insurance application. He got accepted, but received a letter 2 weeks after acceptance and initial payment, saying that they accepted coverage, but with exclusion for any lung ilnesses. When he declined, requested termination and a refund, the agent told him that this info would go into a database and other companies would know about it.

Would this be true? Would this be even legal, considering privacy and medical info? He'd have options with other companies where no medical checks are required on application. But of course he'd have to check the "never refused/limited coverage" box in most cases.

This privacy issue is what worries me the most as I would not like my medical info to go around. 

6 minutes ago, Krabi King said:

A friend of mine had a health check up done which was paid for by his employer here in Thailand. E was found healthy without significant problems. But on a scan they found a very small nodule on his lungs wich was included in the report but favoured benign and no reason for further examination. 

He totally overlooked that note in the report as it was found to be of no importance and forwarded the report with his (Thai) health insurance application. He got accepted, but received a letter 2 weeks after acceptance and initial payment, saying that they accepted coverage, but with exclusion for any lung ilnesses. When he declined, requested termination and a refund, the agent told him that this info would go into a database and other companies would know about it.

Would this be true? Would this be even legal, considering privacy and medical info? He'd have options with other companies where no medical checks are required on application. But of course he'd have to check the "never refused/limited coverage" box in most cases.

This privacy issue is what worries me the most as I would not like my medical info to go around. 

You sign a disclosure and giving them all your latests visits to doctors and hospitals, so, yes, they can do, and if not, you will not get any insurance. If you witheld information, you can experience rejection for a payout or gaurantee for hospitilation. 

Good luck

Even with a no medical check needed  he will need to declare his lung condition and the fact that he had a medical check, failure to declare this will invalidate his insurance and beware the fact he had a full medical check up, he may well find that a Thai insurer will refuse to pay up anyway as they can say you must have had an pre existing issue because you went for a checkup,  In simple i would stay away from any Thai insurer there is no appeal against an insurer or ombudsmen to complain to, get insurance from your home country that has adequate complaints procedure