Do any Farangs actually choose to live in Isaan?

Goat

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm just curious about something. When you say your wife is from Lopburi, do you mean Lopburi city or Lopburi province? The reason I ask is that there is a lot of cultural and linguistic spillover and inter-marriage between Lopburi (which is technically not in Isaan) and neighboring provinces (which are in Isaan). 

Last week I had a Makro shelf stocker in Lopburi City tell me I spoke Thai with an "Isaan" accent. No one has ever ever said this to me before, and I was actually fairly offended by this comment, because I suspected her assessment was more based on a possible preconception speculation that because I was a foreigner my wife must be from Isaan than on how I actually spoke. But after getting home and giving this some thought, there is a possibility that there is enough Isaan linguistic influence in my area that over the years I have picked up some Isaan speaking mannerisms without even realizing it, even though I have never actually lived in Isaan.

Interesting Gecko.

Petchabun is similar in that it is also not in Issan but on the border and there is also a lot of spillover there with language, food etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goat said:

Leaving him as an elderly man waiting for hours in the hot sun under a pink umbrella out the front of Thai immigration in a foreign country doing visa runs?

Did he do that, never mind, with his degree he will get to the front of the queue......????

9 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm just curious about something. When you say your wife is from Lopburi, do you mean Lopburi city or Lopburi province? The reason I ask is that there is a lot of cultural and linguistic spillover and inter-marriage between Lopburi province (which is technically not in Isaan) and neighboring provinces (which are in Isaan). 

Last week I had a Makro shelf stocker in Lopburi city tell me I spoke Thai with an "Isaan" accent. No one has ever ever said this to me before, and I was actually fairly offended by this comment, because I suspected her assessment was based more on a possible prejudice that because I was a foreigner my wife must be from Isaan, than on how I was actually speaking.

But after getting home and giving this some thought, I begrudgingly had to admit that there is a possibility that there is enough Isaan linguistic influence in my area that over the years I may have picked up some Isaan speaking mannerisms without even realizing it, even though I have never actually lived in Isaan.

My accent is Thai. Got lots of compliments. Surprised me. Anyway Isaan people are mostly good. Avoid the dodgy farangs in Ubon and Udon though.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

They obviously do it wrong.

Real man: I live in X. You have two choices: Live with me in X or go away.

Of course! The possibility that we like a nice house, big garden, close to nature, lower levels of PM and the nice and quiet atmosphere can absolutely not be any reasons. If you say we did it wrong, then it is like that, right? I am laughing my ar5e off.

I moved here because my now ex didn't want to move to the US, saying she wanted to be near her family, who she really doesn't care for much anyway. Made a mistake, should have convinced her otherwise, as now I'm waiting for the right time to move back with my daughter. She wants to come back, but the trust is gone. She doesn''t have tats , nor does anyone else in our village, as i can see. Much of the population here stays right here, and only those that have had kids, with Thai boyfriends that have left, choose to go to the big cities to work, leaving their kids with grandma. And yes, it is boring here, and that's another reason I will move.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I moved here because my now ex didn't want to move to the US, saying she wanted to be near her family, who she really doesn't care for much anyway. Made a mistake, should have convinced her otherwise, as now I'm waiting for the right time to move back with my daughter. She wants to come back, but the trust is gone. She doesn''t have tats , nor does anyone else in our village, as i can see. Much of the population here stays right here, and only those that have had kids, with Thai boyfriends that have left, choose to go to the big cities to work, leaving their kids with grandma. And yes, it is boring here, and that's another reason I will move.

Simple life in most parts there.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Goat said:

Plenty of farangs living in Issan in every province.

I have met hundreds over the years.

But every single one that i have met had followed their wife or girlfriend there, and if their wife had of been from another region they would have ended up wherever.

I have heard of a few who ended up there for work or Christian pushers but has anyone ever met a farang who chose to live there who wasnt attatched to a woman or for work?

Yes, Me. Was a skilled volunteer at large NGO in Khon Kaen before becoming entangled.

I had reason to stay in Issan for 2 whole months out of choice. No Pattaya no Bangkok in late 2011

Buriram and Lantanmanchai

I consider myself easy going (some will disagree lol) but always fit in easily wherever I am and adapt.... Give me the Sun and lotion and an internet connection and I'm a pig in paradise

At 60 days hard up against the Tourist Visa I was going completely dollally up there seriously

It was actually the end of the marriage (yes there were other reasons) but go up there out of choice to live alone (or even with a Thai) and 98% you will go completely mad.

Period

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I had reason to stay in Issan for 2 whole months out of choice. No Pattaya no Bangkok in late 2011

I consider myself easy going (some with disagree lol) but always fit in easily wherever I am and adapt.... Give me the Sun and lotion and an internet connection and I'm a pig in paradise

At 60 days hard up against the Tourist Visa I was going completely dollally up there seriously

It was actually the end of the marriage (yes there were other reasons) but go up there out of choice to live alone (or even with a Thai) and 98% you will go completely mad.

Period

Did you know there is a Little Pattaya in Isaan, Pattaya Noi.....????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

"Issan" is a large area and quite diverse.

It includes several large cities with much to recommend them  for a retiree (e.g. Khon Kaen, Korat) -- as well as many "back of beyond" rural spots.

What I found was it was all the minor things that stand alone are not really an issue

However lump them all together 24/7 and its a different kettle of fish

The lack of what I perceive as "safety" in all aspects is mind boggling and we wont even start on the driving lol

Am sure there are some that enjoy it (and my 98% may be some what high) but I gave it a go and its definately not for me other than say 3 days or so

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I consider myself easy going (some will disagree lol) but always fit in easily wherever I am and adapt.... Give me the Sun and lotion and an internet connection and I'm a pig in paradise

Period

Few people in their right mind choose to live in Isaan.

We move to Isaan because that is where our teeraks hail from.

Some, who financially don't need to stay, stay and make a success of it. Most stay because they have few, if any, other options.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, hotandsticky said:

Few people in their right mind choose to live in Isaan.

We move to Isaan because that is where our teeraks hail from.

Some, who financially don't need to stay, stay and make a success of it. Most stay because they have few, if any, other options.

Yeh, but, you're speaking for yourself, chap.........????

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Yeh, but, you're speaking for yourself, chap.........????

I am beginning to wonder if we've got our 67th username...........................................????

Edited by Chivas
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

LOL ????

Everyone should give it a try.

Weeeeell, Isaan is a very big place, sorting an area to suit one's self can be tricky, I was lucky with my choice, though could not afford the spot now...................:whistling:

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I was almost semi forced to stay there during Covid for a month.  Escaped after 1 day to a small town on the Mekhong.  Now I go into Ubon every few months for a day or two and I wonder why it was so dreadful that first visit.  Wouldn't live there but it isn't the hellish place I thought.  Some nice parks and good hotels on the edge of town.  

So true, but the baiters here will demonise it for reactions....????

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I was almost semi forced to stay there during Covid for a month.  Escaped after 1 day to a small town on the Mekhong.  Now I go into Ubon every few months for a day or two and I wonder why it was so dreadful that first visit.  Wouldn't live there but it isn't the hellish place I thought.  Some nice parks and good hotels on the edge of town.  

There's no way in telling how a place is unless you spend a few months in it. Visiting a bar, noodle shop and a 7-11 isn't going to give you a complete picture on the town's scene, or what it has to offer. I live 30 kilos from a main town in Sisaket province, and have been there hundreds of times (literally), and still don't know near all the places to eat or visit, and even my ex, who has lived around here for 43 years, minus a few stints in a few other towns to work, didn't know of a couple of restaurants and places I asked her about in this town. Every town in Thailand has much the same things. A Tesco, or a Big C, Makro, movie theater, hundreds of noodle shops, coffee shops, Farang bars and restaurants, 7-11's and Temples.  I've been to quite a few of the larger towns and they all appear the same. Thais like to have what they need close by, and all follow suit, as the culture dictates, along with their needs as Thais. Villages of course all look the same, and have the same things. A few noodle shops, a coffee shop or two, a Wat, public hall, a school,a preschool (or at the Wat), and rice fields. Ubon has the same as Bueng Kan, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Mukdahan,Sisaket, Khon Kaen, etc with a few variables. As far as girls, they all had pretty, not so pretty, and grandmas. And maniacs driving up to 5 on a scooter without helmets.

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Sorry, kind of got sidetracked and went off on a tangent. What I was getting at was even though you may have met your wife in Lopburi, are you saying that your wife had no family connections whatsoever in Isaan, and that you and your wife just willy-nilly moved there? You have to admit, that's pretty unusual, unless you moved there for work.

My wife has no family in Khon Kaen, where we lived. Just an uncle in the Air Force in Roi Et. We only visited him twice in 18 years.

We were living in Bkk and we moved there to open a restaurant. We did have a 'poo yai' friend there but fell out with them after a year. We decided to stay there as we like it much more than Bangkok. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

There's no way in telling how a place is unless you spend a few months in it. Visiting a bar, noodle shop and a 7-11 isn't going to give you a complete picture on the town's scene, or what it has to offer. I live 30 kilos from a main town in Sisaket province, and have been there hundreds of times (literally), and still don't know near all the places to eat or visit, and even my ex, who has lived around here for 43 years, minus a few stints in a few other towns to work, didn't know of a couple of restaurants and places I asked her about in this town. Every town in Thailand has much the same things. A Tesco, or a Big C, Makro, movie theater, hundreds of noodle shops, coffee shops, Farang bars and restaurants, 7-11's and Temples.  I've been to quite a few of the larger towns and they all appear the same. Thais like to have what they need close by, and all follow suit, as the culture dictates, along with their needs as Thais. Villages of course all look the same, and have the same things. A few noodle shops, a coffee shop or two, a Wat, public hall, a school,a preschool (or at the Wat), and rice fields. Ubon has the same as Bueng Kan, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Mukdahan,Sisaket, Khon Kaen, etc with a few variables. As far as girls, they all had pretty, not so pretty, and grandmas. And maniacs driving up to 5 on a scooter without helmets.

3 days I can tell a place pretty well. Just walk around a lot. Walk 10km around the city centre yoy know it unless Bangkok. Most of the Isaan money is KK and Udon.

4 hours ago, Goat said:

Plenty of farangs living in Issan in every province.

I have met hundreds over the years.

But every single one that i have met had followed their wife or girlfriend there, and if their wife had of been from another region they would have ended up wherever.

I have heard of a few who ended up there for work or Christian pushers but has anyone ever met a farang who chose to live there who wasnt attatched to a woman or for work?

I doubt most followed their wife and if they do, my guess is that it probably ends poorly.  I lived in two cities in Issan the last 15 years and it was my idea.  My situation seems to be the norm.  You visit Issan with a girl and enjoy the experience and in both situations I introduced the idea of staying in Issan  years after the initial visit.

I completely get why most wouldn't dream of living in a small Issan town but many do.    X-pats come to Thailand and settle down into a city because it is really the only option unless you speak Thai or somehow have a network in Issan.  As time passes we meet women and X-pats that live in Issan and then we decide it might be a fun adventure.  Nothing is permanent and easy to move out of Issan. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Period

I've get that and I have never done more than 10 days, but I think it depends on your setup. 

If you're stuck in the middle of the village, surrounded by locals and dogs etc. then I would agree. But if you have your own land, some hobbies etc. I think it is different. When I'm walking the dog around my track listening to a podcast on YouTube, I could really be anywhere. Plus there are a few restaurants with air con, selling foreign style food like steak and chips, ice cream etc. within 15 minutes drive so I never really feel too "Thaied" up.

Just now, bignok said:

3 days I can tell a place pretty well. Just walk around a lot. Walk 10km around the city centre yoy know it unless Bangkok. Most of the Isaan money is KK and Udon.

Like I said, they are all about the same. They all have a downtown area, where most of the restaurants are, especially the farang ones, but some are very spread out, and walking will not get you to see but a small percentage of what's there. Sisaket alone has at least 8 farang restaurants, and all are at least 2 kilos away from each other, with some as much as 6. I worked in NYC, lived close by for 30 years with hundreds of visits (family from Brooklyn and NYC) and didn't see but a fraction of what's there, and its only 13 miles long by 2 1/2 wide.

• Thumbs Up 1