Do any Farangs actually choose to live in Isaan?

Goat

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

After working 20 years in Bangkok and 15 years in Pattaya I retired to Nong Khai some five years ago - what a fantastic ride; lovely people, compact city with competent and customer-friendly governmental and private business people. Fancy shopping is off the cards but 30 minutes away is Vientiane (visa free for me) and 50 minutes away is Udon with whatever you fancy.

In the sticks of Isan; well I am not too sure about that but a small provincial functioning city, anytime. 

Visa free?  2000 baht in Chong Mek which is pricey for weekend trips.

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

After working 20 years in Bangkok and 15 years in Pattaya I retired to Nong Khai some five years ago - what a fantastic ride; lovely people, compact city with competent and customer-friendly governmental and private business people. Fancy shopping is off the cards but 30 minutes away is Vientiane (visa free for me) and 50 minutes away is Udon with whatever you fancy.

In the sticks of Isan; well I am not too sure about that but a small provincial functioning city, anytime. 

NK definitely one of the better choice in Isan to retire.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Isaarn is an area of land not a province. So, if that was sarcasm I missed it.

I chose to live in Isaarn, Kalasin to be precise, I was formerly in Pattaya with a good business. I sold due to ill health from which I have recovered.

I have been in Kalasin now for nigh on 16 years.

Yes, I settled here due to Thai family reasons but I love it. It's not the ridiculous dreamland of boozing and bar stools of tourist areas  and nobody claims to be anything they are not not.

I moved to north Kalasin in February this year after living in Bangkok for 40 years. I must admit that I was concerned about the change in my life, but really love it here. The countryside is so beautiful. However, I do have the advantage of being able to speak Thai, so I am not dependent on others for communication. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes, ME. On retirement I first chose to live in Lanna (Lampang Province) then moved across to Isaan (Khon Kaen Province) before continuing retirement in Cambodia. Bangkok and the Southern seaside resorts were of no interest to me.

Whats Siem Reap like now?

25 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Pussies live in Isaan lol ????

I dunno. I like to watch that Bamboo guy on YouTube. His wife looks like a real sweetheart. His life even tho nicely filmed for YouTube audience is not easy. Isaan definitely ain't for the fragile betas.

14 hours ago, transam said:

We get our pizza delivered up here in the sticks, even Indian food, McD's, KFC, and a host of other stuff..........

Where I am there are plenty of drinking places, even with imported beers, pals, we had a party at my house on Sunday, with our pals.....????

Lot of nonsense talked about Isaan on here....????

There's Isaan and there is super Isaan.

Isan is a big place and many factors would affect anyone's smile.   Also that person's lifestyle if chosen or not, for what ever reason.

If living in one of the cities, without transport or extra pocket money, then not the best place to be.  Though most places wouldn't be, worldwide.  Unless happy to sit on the barstool all day, then any place is heaven.

Just outside the main, enjoying both worlds, tranquil countryside, with all the comforts of nearby city, <30 mins away, works for many.  Did for me, only 20 mins away, and was quite tolerable, and a love/hate relationship, as I get bored easily.

So need transport to explore, locally and points further.  A hobby, or friends, or simply some responsibilities/routine (school runs) help, with things to do.

One thing I couldn't deal with, and had little control over was the air pollution, and 4-6 months a year, it was bad @ Udon Thani.  

I could see the hills of 10 kms away from 2nd floor of house only half the year.  Same if at top level parking @ Central Plaza, and nothing but a grey fog half the year.  AQI #s of 100+, damn annoying, besides not the healthiest.  Indoors, no prob, with purifiers, but boring.

Landscape wise, it is a flat plateau, so unless living on the edge, not much to look at.  Either lovely green fields of rice or sugar, half the year, or a dust bowl the other half.  

As always ... Rainy Season Rocks

22 hours ago, GarryP said:

I moved to north Kalasin in February this year after living in Bangkok for 40 years. I must admit that I was concerned about the change in my life, but really love it here. The countryside is so beautiful. However, I do have the advantage of being able to speak Thai, so I am not dependent on others for communication. 

So do I. my friend

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bignok said:

Whats Siem Reap like now?

Back to its pre-covid popularity with International and domestic tourists visiting the UNESCO Angkor Wat Archaeological Park. During covid restrictions, much restoration work was (and still is) being done to preserve the ruins. The city itself underwent extensive infrastructure projects to modernise the roads, street lighting and pavements/sidewalks. Dedicated cycle tracks were created, especially towards Angkor Wat, along with upgrades to parks and riverside walks. Some hotels and restaurants have been refurbished or rebuilt. The "Angkor Eye" big wheel is now operating providing views across Siem Reap. Museums and similar tourist attractions are open again. Pub Street is as popular as ever but now without the ghetto blasting music and the "alcofrolics" boozing at the mobile street bars - they are now banned (a great improvement IMO) - the monks in the nearby temples can get a good night's meditation!  Musical entertainment is within the established businesses. A new International Airport is now due to officially open on the 1st December 2023. Many ex-pats live here and they meet at coffee shops, cafes and bars.

I live in Udon Thani, and it was the first place i ever stayed in Thailand. i was talking to a girl on the internet while in the UK, because divorce pending and just made redundant. She lived in Udon Thani, so i researched it. Found excellent local forum which provided me with all i needed to know. As a result first visit to Thailand it was straight off the plane and catch a train to Udon. Never did meet that girl..... but within 3 days i had been offered a cracking waitress as a wife by the hotel owner! Unfortunately was only there for 10 days, and did the decent thing and turned her down (which i now regret!).

Back in those days (2008) a single farang male in Udon didn't last long before you were caught. My mistake was going to a fishing park where the manager was a young woman..... the rest is history. Still here 15 years later. 

Hate big cities, like Bangkok. Only ever visit when i have to. Was Udon a good choice? Yes and no. Loving loyal wife, my own fish ponds, grow veggies in winter. BUT climate change definitely an issue, now too hot half the year to enjoy outside,

Khun LA complained about the air quality, but he lived in town. i lived just outside and the only air quality problems were jai burning leaves every week (now stopped). i did buy a air purifier after a few smoky days one year, but rarely use it. 

We have  plenty of good restaurants, fast food, farang foods, only thing missing food wise is Indian - Hobsons choice in Udon. Want for very little.

OH sorry, Udon is terrible! Do not come!  Yiu might spoil it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

I live in Udon Thani, and it was the first place i ever stayed in Thailand. i was talking to a girl on the internet while in the UK, because divorce pending and just made redundant. She lived in Udon Thani, so i researched it. Found excellent local forum which provided me with all i needed to know. As a result first visit to Thailand it was straight off the plane and catch a train to Udon. Never did meet that girl..... but within 3 days i had been offered a cracking waitress as a wife by the hotel owner! Unfortunately was only there for 10 days, and did the decent thing and turned her down (which i now regret!).

Back in those days (2008) a single farang male in Udon didn't last long before you were caught. My mistake was going to a fishing park where the manager was a young woman..... the rest is history. Still here 15 years later. 

Hate big cities, like Bangkok. Only ever visit when i have to. Was Udon a good choice? Yes and no. Loving loyal wife, my own fish ponds, grow veggies in winter. BUT climate change definitely an issue, now too hot half the year to enjoy outside,

Khun LA complained about the air quality, but he lived in town. i lived just outside and the only air quality problems were jai burning leaves every week (now stopped). i did buy a air purifier after a few smoky days one year, but rarely use it. 

We have  plenty of good restaurants, fast food, farang foods, only thing missing food wise is Indian - Hobsons choice in Udon. Want for very little.

OH sorry, Udon is terrible! Do not come!  Yiu might spoil it!

I've visited Udon many times and find it has so many good restaurants. I won't live there myself but the high end of Isaan

On 9/29/2023 at 7:24 PM, Celsius said:

I dunno. I like to watch that Bamboo guy on YouTube. His wife looks like a real sweetheart. His life even tho nicely filmed for YouTube audience is not easy. Isaan definitely ain't for the fragile betas.

Some "fragile" betas, meaning 95% of the male population, take good care of their wives, girlfriends and children, while the alphas, the narcissists, cheat, lie, abuse and control, all parts of a character that needs to have power over people they think are beneath them. We aren't. There are hundreds of thousands of beta males that are bodybuilders, power lifters and martial artists, that only a fool would consider to be fragile. Betas cry, because they have emotions, alphas laugh at this, because they are uncaring arses that have no feelings. Women are drawn to alphas, because they didn't have a good father figure, think power means anything but control, are are very naive about what makes a man a real man. Isaan is full of dads that don't give a rat's arse about their kids, and the boys grow up thinking women are objects, because there wasn't a dad to teach them otherwise, or that's what he did also, and the women, without dads, grow up to never have a successful relationship with any men in their lives.

• Confused 1