experience with prostate biopsy

steveb5

16 hours ago, steveb5 said:

Anyone have experience with prostrate biopsy. What is the procedure like,  is it painful and how about recovery. After having an MRI scan it showed an enlarged prostrate and small area that may be cancer. So the doctor needs to confirm.

Think you mean prostate

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CM4Me said:

I had a biopsy a couple of years back, painless. However, 24 hrs later I came down with a very high temperature and spent the next 5 days in hospital. 

A Biopsy can miss a cancer spot.

I switched to only having MRIs, but on the latest machine, a Tesla 3.0 with contrast. Very accurate and very clear.

Last year I had Brachytherapy treatment, I'm in good health and my latest PSA checkup was 0.016. 

If caught early, brachytherapy is good to maintain functionality. Today there was a BBC report about radiation done in 5 sessions being as effective as an extended course, and no hormone therapy needed. No recurrence after 5 years in 95% of 700 cases. No mention of complications, though.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'd get a second opinion ... quickly!

I have and have had since my 52nd year a surgical sedated rectal photographic colonoscopy and prostate exam ever 2 years. Small haemorrhoid and a few tiny polyps removed along the ways.

It is a procedure recommended Australia-wide and has been for years now. I also take advantage of the Oz National Health Systems free bowel cancer screening every year - a quick stool sample. and off to the lab. 

If anyone is over 50 and hasn't had a colonoscopy procedure then get it done asap.

Ancient digital rectal exams and even scans are not anywhere as clear to conclude and diagnose any abnormal size of the prostate or other growths compared to the camera and then tissue sample (usually done at the time of the colonoscopy in Oz if anything abnormal is found). 

OP. I'd recommend a second opinion too, and bringing your question to this forum is a good idea too.

Not to hijack the topic, but.... I just had a video colonoscopy, general anesthesia, done 4 months ago at San Paulo Hospital, Hua Hin. $600 USD.

Very professional staff and equipment. I'm 74 and they found no polyps. I ask for and readily received full review documents and color pictures they took. I am very impressed with their work.

• Thanks 1

OMG Gleeson score. The memories flood back. I've forgotten whatever mine was. We're talking 13 years ago and after 6 then 12 months blood tests, yes, regardless of its use now, no other cancers. Yes just did BC test free, even less invasive. Hope a no result. The helper at Peter Mac, lost his testicles, my brother his prostate. So at 55 then, whatever the inconvenience. I'm still alive, which my father failed to get checked early enough, and in 2002 died from that cancer. I was a fortunate and alert. Strangely at the time, I needed Hep A and B injections, which required 3 doses. I developed a rash after 2. I asked doctor to check immunity after 2 and got alerted to high PSA. The rest is history but alive to encourage even over 40 or 45 the odd check or be alert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

Is this procedure done with a endoscope through the penis or the rectum

Rectum.

A good friend of mine is a doctor and treats lots of older gents at his practice  in Germany.

He told me to leave a biopsy as a last resort - they can miss the cancer and if you have cancer, the biopsy can spread it more quickly. (You are putting wounds in your prostate.)

He told me to always go for MRI's until you really have a good idea.

Every urologist that I have consulted here in Thailand (5?) tries the 'biopsy needed' at the first consultation. (I have a very large prostate and high PSA.)

The best urologist that I found listened to my explanation and agreed to do the MRI's. He only did the targetted biopsy when the last MRI showed 'something'.

All clear. No pain but blood in the semen for a long time.

• Thanks 1

Having a biopsy if PSA is over 4 or even under 4 if PSA rises more than 0.75 in a year was the standard 20 years ago. Now an MRI or PET scan can be done to look for cancer with followup biopsy if needed. An advantge of this approach is that this avoids the risk of a biospy missing a cancerous area of the prostate.

If anyone has exprience with a Gallium 68 PET scan in Thailand, I would like to know, as it's very useful for detecting abdominal cancer as well as prostate cancer and possible metastaces (in cases of high PSA).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

If you are referring to prostatectomy, it's neither. Hopefully it can be done with one or two small incisions in the lower abdomen by laparoscopy.

I had a MRI and the doctor saw some abnormalty in a  small area of the prostate and wants to investigate if it is cancerous or not to avoid further complications in the future. Had a turp operation for a large prostrate about 10 years ago

With the same doctor and now I have a 5-year-old son. As you all know the prostate grows back again so I'm back with a large prostrate without symptoms but just started taking Finisterre again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steveb5 said:

All my biopsies were done through the perineum with ultrasound.

Evidently less chance of fecal contamination and sepsis.

'Transrectal biopsy has a small but significant risk of serious infection, where bacteria may enter the bloodstream (septicaemia).

This is due to passage of the biopsy needle through the rectal wall.

A transperineal biopsy of the prostate, performed under a general anaesthetic, is therefore carried out via the skin overlying this area.

Excellent imaging is obtained by an ultrasound probe passed into the rectum'.

Transperineal Prostate Biopsy | Australian Urology Associates (aua.com.au)

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thanks 1