‘No turning back’: how the Ukraine war has profoundly changed the EU

Social Media

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

It's such a ridiculous question there's no point me really answering it. I'm sure you'll come up with yet another ridiculous response. I'll indulge you this time but then I'm done...

If we had to ensure all current circumstances were 100% identical to a previous situation before we learned anything, we'd never be able to learn anything at all.

History teaches us (those of us who are genuinely interested in learning) that dictators are never satisfied and appeasing them only stands to make them feel vindicated in their quest. History tells us that no war-hungry leader has ever stopped after conquering a single territory.

Feel free to not respond, but as you no doubt know, Russia has NOT invaded any western country post WW2.

One can pontificate on the faults of dictators as much as wanted, but nuclear weapons and MAD pretty much guarantee that no western country will be invaded by Russia in the foreseeable future.

As to whether Russia invades any countries to the east, that's no concern of mine. Countries have been invaded since countries existed yet the human race has survived and overpopulated to the point it's likely to become extinct.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

10 minutes ago, RayC said:

I've asked this before and received no answer, but what is the relationship between Brexit and Germany's current economic malaise? Would its' economic woes be solved by either the UK rejoining the EU and/or Germany leaving (the EU)?

https://www.export.org.uk/news/604569/UK-Germany-trade-falls-sharply-since-Brexit-vote-official-German-data-shows.htm

image.png.df014b0017be65a5ed90cc321115b616.png

I take no pleasure in Germany's decline but facts are facts. The anti Britain/anti Brexit mob on here certainly love pointing out any UK issues so it seems a bit hypocritical to suggest the Brits should keep quiet about the current issues in the EU. It's not just Germany BTW.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/euro-zone-economy-likely-contracted-this-quarter-pmi-2023-09-22/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, RayC said:

That adds further evidence to Michel Barnier's assertion that there would be no winners from Brexit. 

I can't for the life of me see how this is in any way beneficial.

But the point is that Brexit supporters need to construct a hypothesis that shows a causal link between a downturn in the EU economy(ies) and Brexit, similar to the OBR report on the effects of Brexit on the UK economy.

Your first link demonstrates correlation not causation (although imo the casual link is almost certainly there). However, as I indicated previously, how an event that has a seemingly negative economic effect on both parties can be seen as a success is beyond me.

It is quite clear that German exports to the UK have dropped since Brexit. To suggest there is no causal link is laughable.

https://www.ft.com/content/913c7e84-fd2d-4cb5-be0c-8cd865f37462

We warned this would happen. And now it has. The fact that you are trying to deflect with your whole "why are you celebrating it" spiel is just an attempt to ignore the facts. The EU took the UK for granted and then tried to punish us when we exercised our democratic right to leave. The EU has nobody to blame but itself. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It is quite clear that German exports to the UK have dropped since Brexit. To suggest there is no causal link is laughable.

https://www.ft.com/content/913c7e84-fd2d-4cb5-be0c-8cd865f37462

We warned this would happen. And now it has. The fact that you are trying to deflect with your whole "why are you celebrating it" spiel is just an attempt to ignore the facts. The EU took the UK for granted and then tried to punish us when we exercised our democratic right to leave. The EU has nobody to blame but itself. 

The decline in German exports to the UK include tools, machinery and components that would otherwise be used in UK’s own production and exports.

Nobody in the UK is looking at Germany and thinking the mess the UK is acceptable because Germany is facing its own problems.

Right now the UK Governing Party are at each other’s throats in Manchester, they know what’s coming their way at the election and it’s not because BREXIT is a success and life in the UK is going just swell.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1