Special digital savings accounts available for foreigners?

16 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I wonder how long it will work for you especially as you seem to be quite a agressive person - just state your opinion without the rancor.

Been here for over 20 years. 

Where have I been aggressive? 

I get annoyed by stupid foreigners. 

Why are you interfering, are you one of those penniless foreigners, the type that constantly moan and complain about Thailand but chose to live here?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I was commenting regarding your discrimination quote. 

Long live Thailand's discrimination ????

Upto food panda, nothing to do with me. 

BTW, back in 2005 I asked my bank (Kasikorn) for a credit card, the staff told me that I needed a work permit and visa. I work on an offshore drilling rig, on rotation, 28/28, so traveling in on a tourist visa only. The assistant manager looked at my monthly deposits, I was buying some properties so bringing my monthly salary over 400,000 baht every month, I became eligible for a credit card and I also have a safety deposit box, Kasikorn Pattaya Tai branch. I only had to obtain a Wisdom credit card to be allowed the safety box 

????????????????????????????????????

It's all about the MONEY 

I'm Pro discrimination ????

It's all about the MONEY

Tell me more about this!

Only in Thailand?

Really? 

31 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I wonder how long it will work for you especially as you seem to be quite a agressive person - just state your opinion without the rancor.

Don't mind him. He's apparently on Forbes list of the 'rich & famous'.......or was that the 'dumb & clueless'???

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Like I said, a foreigner cannot

As I said, I do not need the account so the fact a foreigner cannot open one means didly squat to me.

Now if you read what I posted though, I have never attempted to open one so am unable to confirm your claims.

8 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Don't mind him. He's apparently on Forbes list of the 'rich & famous'.......or was that the 'dumb & clueless'???

You really should look for somewhere else to live.

You are obviously one of those living here, doing it tough, you foreigners that talk negative about Thailand, complaining about discrimination etc.

You are just another moaner, a whinging, whining complainer. 

Why don't you Grow up, time to pack your bags and go home. 

I'm fed up with your type, Thai bashers, you are toxic people, you encourage the weak to follow your hatred, your bitterness, your childish attitude, these weak people become nasty and negative towards Thailand like yourself. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2023 at 6:17 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, as a foreigner I don't even get any interest on the balance of my KTB bank account.

KTB does not pay interest to USA citizens.  They don't want to deal with all the reporting requirements.  I don't have that problem with SCB.

I opened 2 digital saving accounts (no passbook) earlier this year.

1 with SCB (EZ saving account)

1 with Krungsri (MTD account).

No issues at all.

Background: I already have standard saving account (with passbooks) on both of these banks and the related mobile apps. I am on 1 year retirement extension.

Went to the branches and enquired for these digital accounts. Provided my passport (SCB requested only my Thai driving license). They setup the account for me and added it in my bank app. 

It gives a bit more interests (1.5% for maximum 2M deposit). No passbook and if i correct, you can't withdraw at the counter and no debit card attached to the digital account. However, you can deposit online (from any account) and transfer Online to other accounts.

I have account in Bangkok Bank too but didn't try to open a digital account with them. But I saw on their website that it is limited to Thai only.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, PeachCH said:

Here in the Philippines no problems. Offered interest rates up to 7% p/a.

You have to ask, why countries give a high interest? Mostly (not always) it's a sign of a lot of money needed. Which isn't always a good sign.

1. They need money
2. It's about inflation

• Like 1

21 hours ago, HampiK said:

But I guess all of your account still have a real bankbook behind. Meaning every account you see in your K-Bank app you also have a bank book with this account number at home (in your locked away area).

But when I try to click on the "Open e-Savings" button then soon it shows for Thais only (I guess you need this blue ID card to be able to do most of this).

So what's the difference actually.

One has a book and one doesn't?

That's it?

I mean all my regular Thai savings accounts across 3 different banks are basically fully digital and I can get by 100% with digital use only for most of the time. Online purchasing, scanning qr, cardless ATM etc.

It's the difference literally only the bank book?

Oh sorry "book bank".

I share the frustration of many expats who feel rejected upon reading a message that says , "Thais only". We must remember that Thailand is not a country of refuge. Public schools do not offer TSL (Thai as a second language) classes to foreign students. It is hard for foreigners to achieve Thai citizenship and babies born in Thailand who do not have a Thai parent cannot easily apply for citizenship.

In recent years, Thailand has embraced wealthy foreigners more and more with the lure of special visas and investment opportunities. Foreigners living in Thailand are viewed as business opportunities period. The world has changed and everything these days has been monetized. 

If you marry a Thai or retire in Thailand, you must have money in their bank. About 15 years ago the price for a Thai visa increased from 500 to 1900 baht. There are agents, who for a substantial fee can get you a visa. The government here is in the process of taxing foreign income. If you are not Thai, you can run into some serious expenses in the Thai medical system. The list goes on and on. It is not fair, but it was never meant to be fair. You can arguably call it racism or xenophobia, but I incontrovertibly call it - reality and we must deal with it. Until the present political environment around the world develops a new sentiment, you can expect more of the same.

The system of rules and regulations designed by the government for foreigners staying in Thailand is designed to  maximize a source of revenue for Thai businesses and government. I think it is ugly. As one post opined here, and I paraphrase: other countries should impose similar restrictions on Thais the same as the Thai government does.

I know years ago, in the US many Thai restaurants hired Thai students attending universities as employees. Many of the students were not eligible to work and often the Thai owners exploited this by paying low wages. There are possibly thousands of illegal Thai workers within the US. I am curious if the same thing could apply to the Thai massage parlors around the world as well.

I do not see any changes in this system as long as the disparity between the rich and poor continues to grow around the world.  Greed is the creed. I would guess perhaps Thailand is not as bad as some other countries.

24 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

So what's the difference actually.

One has a book and one doesn't?

That's it?

I mean all my regular Thai savings accounts across 3 different banks are basically fully digital and I can get by 100% with digital use only for most of the time. Online purchasing, scanning qr, cardless ATM etc.

It's the difference literally only the bank book?

Oh sorry "book bank".

The difference is, that for initial opening you need to go to the bank for open a "book bank". Second is, that on an online account (without book bank) mostly you will have a little bit better interest rate as well.

And with an online account (without book bank) you can't go into the bank and withdrawal money from that account, you have to transfer this money first to an account with "book bank" and then you are able to withdrawal money!

So yes there is a small difference in this 2 kind. Even when most will feel almost nothing at all.

11 minutes ago, HampiK said:

The difference is, that for initial opening you need to go to the bank for open a "book bank". Second is, that on an online account (without book bank) mostly you will have a little bit better interest rate as well.

And with an online account (without book bank) you can't go into the bank and withdrawal money from that account, you have to transfer this money first to an account with "book bank" and then you are able to withdrawal money!

So yes there is a small difference in this 2 kind. Even when most will feel almost nothing at all.

I see. Thanks for explaining. Seems like not a great deal of difference then really

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/2/2023 at 4:23 PM, dingdongrb said:

I have been using TrueMoney Wallet for a few years and keep around 20k THB in it for my frequent Lazada and other location purchases. On the TrueMoney app they show a Savings Acct offering up to 4% interest. Selecting it on the app it comes back saying 'For Thais only'.....

Maybe other countries should start being biased with Thais living there?

....the continued discrimination is an ugly look for a country like Thailand

These interest account should be for the Thai people only. Why should they accept you into their system.

I can’t even open a bank account in the UK, which is the country of my birth.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, jphasia said:

I opened 2 digital saving accounts (no passbook) earlier this year.

1 with SCB (EZ saving account)

1 with Krungsri (MTD account).

No issues at all.

Background: I already have standard saving account (with passbooks) on both of these banks and the related mobile apps. I am on 1 year retirement extension.

Went to the branches and enquired for these digital accounts. Provided my passport (SCB requested only my Thai driving license). They setup the account for me and added it in my bank app. 

It gives a bit more interests (1.5% for maximum 2M deposit). No passbook and if i correct, you can't withdraw at the counter and no debit card attached to the digital account. However, you can deposit online (from any account) and transfer Online to other accounts.

I have account in Bangkok Bank too but didn't try to open a digital account with them. But I saw on their website that it is limited to Thai only.

Thanks this is the information I was looking for, did you also use it for your extensions at immigration? I heard it is enough to show your balance from the phone's screen at some IOs 

1 hour ago, PB172111 said:

These interest account should be for the Thai people only. Why should they accept you into their system.

I can’t even open a bank account in the UK, which is the country of my birth.

There's your problem - UK

My Thai wife while in the USA reporting as my wife was able to obtain a social security card (which enabled her to work) and a bank account which was interest bearing.

I guess it sucks to be a Brit. You're ancestors should have taken a voyage on the Mayflower.

• Sad 2

49 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

There's your problem - UK

My Thai wife while in the USA reporting as my wife was able to obtain a social security card (which enabled her to work) and a bank account which was interest bearing.

I guess it sucks to be a Brit. You're ancestors should have taken a voyage on the Mayflower.

*your

9 hours ago, rwill said:

KTB does not pay interest to USA citizens.  They don't want to deal with all the reporting requirements.  I don't have that problem with SCB.

I'm not even a U.S. citizen. And yes, KTB is the only one not paying any interest. But, not last for this reason, I'm not keeping any meaningful amount in that account, so it's their loss really...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 10/2/2023 at 6:13 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Wait for it; in China it's hard to get even a SIM card, as it needs to be registered by the shop, which can only be done online if the buyer has  a Chinese ID card. I'm waiting for that to be introduced in Thailand...

Same here in Thailand we had to register our Sims  a couple Yrs with our ID (Passport) at the providers Shop AIS .

That's nothing new that Law came in a few Yrs ago. That's to stop one having Unregistered Sims for  Lawless activity.

9 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Same here in Thailand we had to register our Sims  a couple Yrs with our ID (Passport) at the providers Shop AIS .

That's nothing new that Law came in a few Yrs ago. That's to stop one having Unregistered Sims for  Lawless activity.

I know. I was just pointing out that it could still get worse, i.e. not being able to get a regular SIM card without a Thai ID card (see thread about online savings accounts, etc., etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, StayinThailand2much said:

I know. I was just pointing out that it could still get worse, i.e. not being able to get a regular SIM card without a Thai ID card (see thread about online savings accounts, etc., etc.)

OK , Anything here can get worse , We just have to Take it Or Leave.

29 minutes ago, digger70 said:

When that law came in, I registered my sim online.

I used a Thai ID number I got from an online Thai ID number generator.